Pink Floyd and The Wizard Of Oz!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just listening to "Dark Side Of The Moon" and I recall that their exists a legend where-by this album has some freaky connection with the film "The Wizard Of Oz".

I was just wondering if anyone here has heard of this or tried it...

Basically, transitions between scenes and character's positions throughout the film coincide perfectly with the album when played in synch.

Check this out, it makes intriguing reading.

Weird stuff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yes, it works, have done it once and seen it a few other times.

The Machine (cover band) actually just did a small tour or whatever in which they played live to the Wizard of Oz on the projecton screen
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yes, it works, have done it once and seen it a few other times.

The Machine (cover band) actually just did a small tour or whatever in which they played live to the Wizard of Oz on the projecton screen

Did you hear about it or get to see it? I bet that would been cool.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    unfortunately I didn't get to go.... there were like 3 good shows that week and unfortunately my monetary funding only provided for 2 of the 3 so The Machine didn't make the cut \
  • Reply 4 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    My best friend and some of his buddies did that recently and he e-mailed me about it. Said it was pretty freaky and entertaining. Of course, they were probably all about 9 sheets to the wind so I imagine it would've been.

I'd like to do this sometime. I've never even seen "The Wizard of Oz" period (yeah, I'm serious) and I've never listened to "Dark Side of the Moon", so this would be a cool chance to do them both.

• Reply 5 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've done it a few times. the creepiest part is actually with the scarecrow.

there's a laugh on the CD, and right when it laughs the scarecrow turns his head to look at where the noise came from. it's really cool, but doesn't work for the whole movie. (album shorter than the movie)

i believe you start the CD on the second lion's roar, sit back and trip out.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    IT definitely works... Here at my school every october some club puts on a showing of Dark Side of Oz, and it is amazing to see it on the big screen with good sound.... The coolest part is that they print out this sheet of some stuff to look for, but not everything. Its a nice touch. It is even better when you are high.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

it's really cool, but doesn't work for the whole movie. (album shorter than the movie)

You have to repeat the CD. Then it works for the whole movie.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    The story I always found eerie was that urban legend (if that's even the right word for something like this) about being able to see someone hanging themselves in the background during one of the forest scenes. I've seen just small clips of the movie over the years and I don't even know where to look for this.

Of course, it's not true (I guess?), but I think it was explained away by a crew member on a ladder accidentally slipping into the shot or something silly like that.

Anyone know about this?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

The story I always found eerie was that urban legend (if that's even the right word for something like this) about being able to see someone hanging themselves in the background during one of the forest scenes.

A friend of mine had the Laser Disc where you could supposedly see it (other versions had it cut out) but we never did find it.

However, there is a freaky boy/ghost in THREE MEN AND A BABY that gave me chills when I saw it.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

You have to repeat the CD.

we were old school. can't repeat vinyl. (and i'm not sure it ever occured to us to try. usually one cd's worth was plenty)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Guys, I'm sober and 25 minutes into the "experience" and, except for the MOST VAUGE of coincidences, it is a GREAT BIG BORE.

Nothing doing---but with the right combination of LSD and weed (don't try THAT at home!) I guess anything is meaningful.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I wonder if there any other movies/albums where this goes on?

"If you play Paul Simon's 'Graceland' while watching the digitally remastered anniversary DVD of 'Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man', it TOTALLY matches up!!!"

"If you'll be my bodyguard [POW! POW! POW!], I can be..."
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Guys, I'm sober and 25 minutes into the "experience" and, except for the MOST VAUGE of coincidences, it is a GREAT BIG BORE.

you sure you got the timing right?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I wonder if there any other movies/albums where this goes on?

"If you play Paul Simon's 'Graceland' while watching the digitally remastered anniversary DVD of 'Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man', it TOTALLY matches up!!!"

"If you'll be my bodyguard [POW! POW! POW!], I can be..."

haha, gotta try that

I've read about another coincidence with a pink floyd album and another movie but i cant remember which ones.

about the hanging.... i do believe I have seen it. It's in the forest, in the background when they are walking along the yellow brick road, I think its right around the time you see an ostridge in the background as well.

Wizard of Oz is a weird movie, and the Pink Floyd connection just makes it weirder
  • Reply 15 of 30
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

you sure you got the timing right?

I did--the problem is that there so much that doesn't match up....it just seemed REALLY boring.

oh well
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I've always heard to start the music on the Lion's third roar. I did it a few years ago and was quite impressed with the results. And as others have mentioned, being drunk/stoned tends to make it more enjoyable.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    the minute i settle this college decision bullshit I am sitting down, cranking up Dark Side of the Moon and doing this. Nice relaxer with the right substances
  • Reply 18 of 30
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I've heard that some Marilyn Manson CD is supposed to do this with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but I can't bring my self to sit through that CD. Me and my friend accidentally discovered that first 5 minutes of The Nightmare Before Christmas goes perfectly with AFI's The Art of Drowning, but I don't remember where we started it. A girl in my high school did a media project on movies or something, all I know is that she was editing video footage for her presentation and she showed me the 'elf hanging themselves' in Wizard of Oz. It's one of the times in the woods when they all decide to go skipping off down the road. All you see is that in the distance, between two trees, you see something drop, stop halfway, and swing a little. Nothing you can see distinctively.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chweave1

It is even better when you are high.

what isn't?

and the hanging isn't a hoax, i've seen it too. i think that they tried to edit it out of a lot of versions of the movie, so some people cant find it.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i decided to investigate the hanging munchkin idea, and i heard about a few other possibilities. one (less interesting idea) claims that one of the several birds borrowed from the LA Zoo (to give the set a more outdoors'y feel) was actually just flapping its wings. another theory is a stage hand fell (or wandered) on scene, and tried to conceal his presence. i found a clip (unfortunately "real"media format), so we can judge for ourselves. the incident happens in the trees almost perfectly centered in view.