Reports are spreading about a very specific Apple Vision Pro front glass crack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    I would think there would be continuum mechanics modeling and simulation software that would predict these issues beforehand.

So it could very well be a manufacturing error where a small batch wasn't built to exact specs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 58
    If it’s not a desktop, it’s going to get dropped. 

My iPad, notebook, and iPhone have all been dropped at least once. 

Between repeated picking up, putting on, taking off, setting down, etc, the vp will get dropped by most users at least once at some point. 

It’s just the nature of things not meant to stay in place. 

A travel case is isrrelevant to the issue since the drops can occur anytime you pick it up or put it down, regardless if it is coming from or going to a case, a desk, a couch, etc. 

I wonder if the tethered power cable had anything to do with any of the falls so far. 

If sales get to a meaningful and sustained level, a front glass replacement service could be a viable business move. 
    edited February 23 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 58

I would think there would be continuum mechanics modeling and simulation software that would predict these issues beforehand.
    I’m sure apple saw it coming. But physics is physics. 

Hence repair option. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    eriamjh said:
    This is clearly a design defect.   Reminds me of the old “mold lines” in the G4 Cube.  

They were cracks.    
    The line that they're calling a crack looks more like a score mark if you take the image into a photo editor and zoom in. It's not uniform in width. There's also a smaller scuff mark right next to the larger line.
    If it is not uniform in width, that’s indicative of a crack. A score mark would be uniform as  a fixed-width tool is used to make the impression. A accompanying smaller scuff would indicate an abrasion. Consistent with contact damage. 
  • Reply 25 of 58
    This is not good. 

Overall, it reeks of being a rushed product,  notwithstanding the very good initial reviews. 
    It was clearly rushed. Reports of apple internal staff not being sold on it was a big red flag. 

The reveal wasn’t compelling and now that it’s in the wild, it’s pretty much another headset in the market. But with better hardware. It has its limitations and flaws, but it’s a good headset overrall. 

I think if Microsoft launched it or meta came out with it and called it the quest ultra or whatever, it would be reviewed well but the price would be laughed at and it wouldn’t sell outside of a tiny group. Only apple can command the really big dollars with something like this, niche or no. 

Decent effort? Sure. Rushed product? 100%

I think apple leadership is at this weird place where they feel like it’s run by a committee instead of a clear focused vision. Too many cooks in the kitchen nowadays. 

Old apple used to allow the naysayers to go around… naysaying. Then at Macworld or whatever, they’d drop the nuke and laugh all the way to the bank. 

Nowadays they feel like they have address misperceptions, control “the narrative,” and get ahead of bad publicity. 

The Vision Pro seems to be a reaction to “hey guys meta is going to change the whole digital landscape. We neees to do it better. Oh and HoloLens is getting a pro market. This vice thing is really up there with the specs so we need to beat that. But let’s not use any entrenched vocabulary. We want to build a better headset but avoid comparisons with headsets ok guys? This is not a headset from now on ok?” 

Apple shouldn’t have released a headset. They should have learned from the process and kept secretly getting it into glasses/sunglasses, or I don’t know, something really out there like bio powered contacts. Something truly magical. Not… a headset. 

But here we are. It’s ok. Nothing groundbreaking. But it’s good for what it is. 

It’s not a bad product. It’s just not “apple.” Would be better if they launched experimental stuff under a sub brand like Beats or something. Actually, I think that’s a viable solution for current apple with stuff like this. 

Apple used to be the adult in the room amongst the chaotic wannabe fad products, the doomsayers, the two-day trendsetters, etc. then when the children were done spazzing out and running around the room, patient apple steps in, laughs “silly little children,” and shows them why they had nothing to worry about, reveals the thing they never knew they always needed/wanted, and paves the way forward for the entire industry. 

Whoever the next ceo is, I hope it’s a product guy, but someone with the supply chain understanding of cook or at least humble enough to have an equally humble and trusted “right hand man” working with him who is a supply chain/managerial genius to see those product done justice. 

Cook has done wonders in building decent sized apple into megaladon apple. But it’s looking a little shaky on the product front with only the tubby iMac and dissing the big iMac peoole for the Mac Studio which also disses the max pro, then the Vision Pro, the continual lag of Apple TV +, the fiasco that was Apple Music for a while, etc. the watch I think was actually a big hit. I don’t think many of us realized that when it launched and the initial reliance on iPhone was a pain but it’s kind of a must have now (especially once the glucose situation gets sorted - FDA recent politics notwithstanding). If and when the apple car materializes, that will be a very big deal also-but it will be a substantial energy investment as apple can’t just develop the car and ride it out. They’ll need to continue to improve, release new hardware and software features, models, etc. so cook hasn’t been without product vision. It’s just not his major forte.

But a new/old guy with product line as his gift would be most welcome. Get things back to making sense and pushing the envelope - only to open when it’s clearly ready. 
  • Reply 26 of 58
    I wonder if those experiencing the hairline cracked glass issue observed the following instructions from Apple? Impossible to say for sure, but it seems like disconnecting the battery cable from the AVP instead of charging the battery while attached to the device may have prevented the cracking issue.

Store your Apple Vision Pro

• Disconnect the battery from Apple Vision Pro.
    • Place Apple Vision Pro on a stable, flat surface with the cover glass facing forward and never downward. Or put your device in the Apple Vision Pro Travel Case (sold separately).

rezwitswatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,666member
    Hopefully Apple will do a forensic analysis on the cracked units to determine the root cause and determine whether there is commonality between the cracked units. Yes, it’s possible the root cause is related to the user, but Apple needs to identify the specific conditions and actions that can lead to the failure even if it’s caused by the user. The Storage guidelines posted above do not specifically identify that damage to the device may occur if the guidance is not followed. It’s pure speculation at this point. 

I’m assuming Apple did some level of environmental testing including temperature, shock, vibration, EMI, EMC, etc.,on the Vision Pro prior to shipping it. At least I hope they did. 
    edited February 24 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    I've been on the fence regarding purchasing the AVP. I want to hear what Apple says before buying mine now (and I have to wait for the AVP to be available in Canada anyway.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Safelite might have a whole new business opportunity here.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 58
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    LOL…this web site was recommending that people use cases that weren’t designed for the AVP to save some money. Whoops. 
    We still are. The cases cited here are using Apple's case.
    The links cited in the article don't say that. The first one says "packed it away" but makes no mention of what case was used. The second one specifically says that they didn't have a case. The third one is a repeat of the first link...same title, same photo. So none of the links used have any information regarding Apple's case.

In addition, the person who posted in the first link is theorizing that the glass simply breaks by itself "with no outside force". He wasn't charging it in whatever he "packed it away" in. The person who posted in the second link (who didn't use a case) says that they can't remember if they had covered the glass visor when they charged it. 
    You're obviously welcome to believe what you want, but everybody involved in those posts have other Reddit posts discussing what they own as it pertains to AVP, have other comments in other threads discussing it, and we have more accounts from other users since saying the same thing.
    If you have additional information, shouldn’t that warrant an update to the coverage to spell it out? If a perceptive reader points out that the currently  cited source information doesn’t support the drawn conclusions, it seems odd to drop in the comments just to to say ‘yeah, but we have other information (that isn’t in the article and not specifically shared here) that says we’re right and you’re wrong.’

Maybe you’re on to a big scoop, but at this moment with the information as presented, it has all the appearance of being out over your skis. 
    foregoneconclusion9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 58
    AppleZulu said:
    LOL…this web site was recommending that people use cases that weren’t designed for the AVP to save some money. Whoops. 
    We still are. The cases cited here are using Apple's case.
    The links cited in the article don't say that. The first one says "packed it away" but makes no mention of what case was used. The second one specifically says that they didn't have a case. The third one is a repeat of the first link...same title, same photo. So none of the links used have any information regarding Apple's case.

In addition, the person who posted in the first link is theorizing that the glass simply breaks by itself "with no outside force". He wasn't charging it in whatever he "packed it away" in. The person who posted in the second link (who didn't use a case) says that they can't remember if they had covered the glass visor when they charged it. 
    You're obviously welcome to believe what you want, but everybody involved in those posts have other Reddit posts discussing what they own as it pertains to AVP, have other comments in other threads discussing it, and we have more accounts from other users since saying the same thing.
    If you have additional information, shouldn’t that warrant an update to the coverage to spell it out? If a perceptive reader points out that the currently  cited source information doesn’t support the drawn conclusions, it seems odd to drop in the comments just to to say ‘yeah, but we have other information (that isn’t in the article and not specifically shared here) that says we’re right and you’re wrong.’

Maybe you’re on to a big scoop, but at this moment with the information as presented, it has all the appearance of being out over your skis. 
    there’s a point when a piece is finished. No amount of “further corroboration” is going to change the conclusion. 

If an author posted updates every time there was new info, corroborative or not, that would be the only piece they ever get to work on. 

If there is some radically conclusion-altering info that comes out, there will most likely be an update - or more likely a new post (since ads provide revenue and more people are likely to click a new article). Addressing the new perspective  as seen previously on this site, there are sometimes contrasting views by different authors based on the same evidence pool. So the “update” you’re looking for may come from someone else - or they may just corroborate this piece. 

Ots great to be a critical thinker and skeptical when there is novel information or not enough of it. But we can’t just demand everyone stop their lives to continuously look for clues to a conclusion that we’d be happier with. 

avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 58
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,263member
    And some people want Apple to hurry up and release a folding iPhone Ha.Ha.Ha....
    edited February 24 ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 58
    9secondkox2 said: there’s a point when a piece is finished. No amount of “further corroboration” is going to change the conclusion.
    There wasn't any corroboration in the links that were originally included. That was the point. 

Here's what the author stated: "Each account claims they left the Apple Vision Pro connected to the battery pack and stored it overnight. Conjecture believes that charging with the soft cover on while in the Travel Case may create a problem with overheating the glass, leading to expansion and a crack at the weakest point".

Did each account in the provided links make that claim? No. Neither of them did. And the third link, which just sends the reader back to the same Reddit post as the first, has never been fixed by the author.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraAppleZulutmay
  • Reply 34 of 58
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,053member
    This is not good. 

Overall, it reeks of being a rushed product,  notwithstanding the very good initial reviews. 
    I guess the new narrative is that Apple rushes everything  to the market even when no one has a clue on their production schedule. 
    williamlondondewme9secondkox2erniefairchild1watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 35 of 58
    It would not be typical for Apple to require a deductible if a glass fracture is a true stress crack. 
    9secondkox2erniefairchild1watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    JinTech said:
    This is not good. 

I guess the new narrative is that Apple rushes everything  to the market even when no one has a clue on their production schedule. 
    Typical groundless overreaction to any criticism. 

Nobody said apple rushes “everything.” The dude just said the vp seems rushed. And guess what? It does! 

Doesn’t make it a bad product nor is it an indication that apple rushes everything. Just means he observed this about the vp. 
    JinTechmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 58

macbootx said:
    It would not be typical for Apple to require a deductible if a glass fracture is a true stress crack. 
    Nope. And it shouldn’t be. 

Apple has already baked the cost of repair into the vp itself as well as the tons of apple care subscriptions, many of which never are needed. 
  • Reply 38 of 58
    This is not good. 

It was clearly rushed. Reports of apple internal staff not being sold on it was a big red flag. 

The reveal wasn’t compelling and now that it’s in the wild, it’s pretty much another headset in the market. But with better hardware. It has its limitations and flaws, but it’s a good headset overrall. 

I think if Microsoft launched it or meta came out with it and called it the quest ultra or whatever, it would be reviewed well but the price would be laughed at and it wouldn’t sell outside of a tiny group. Only apple can command the really big dollars with something like this, niche or no. 

I think apple leadership is at this weird place where they feel like it’s run by a committee instead of a clear focused vision. Too many cooks in the kitchen nowadays. 

Old apple used to allow the naysayers to go around… naysaying. Then at Macworld or whatever, they’d drop the nuke and laugh all the way to the bank. 

Nowadays they feel like they have address misperceptions, control “the narrative,” and get ahead of bad publicity. 

The Vision Pro seems to be a reaction to “hey guys meta is going to change the whole digital landscape. We neees to do it better. Oh and HoloLens is getting a pro market. This vice thing is really up there with the specs so we need to beat that. But let’s not use any entrenched vocabulary. We want to build a better headset but avoid comparisons with headsets ok guys? This is not a headset from now on ok?” 

Apple shouldn’t have released a headset. They should have learned from the process and kept secretly getting it into glasses/sunglasses, or I don’t know, something really out there like bio powered contacts. Something truly magical. Not… a headset. 

It’s not a bad product. It’s just not “apple.” Would be better if they launched experimental stuff under a sub brand like Beats or something. Actually, I think that’s a viable solution for current apple with stuff like this. 

Apple used to be the adult in the room amongst the chaotic wannabe fad products, the doomsayers, the two-day trendsetters, etc. then when the children were done spazzing out and running around the room, patient apple steps in, laughs “silly little children,” and shows them why they had nothing to worry about, reveals the thing they never knew they always needed/wanted, and paves the way forward for the entire industry. 

Whoever the next ceo is, I hope it’s a product guy, but someone with the supply chain understanding of cook or at least humble enough to have an equally humble and trusted “right hand man” working with him who is a supply chain/managerial genius to see those product done justice. 

Cook has done wonders in building decent sized apple into megaladon apple. But it’s looking a little shaky on the product front with only the tubby iMac and dissing the big iMac peoole for the Mac Studio which also disses the max pro, then the Vision Pro, the continual lag of Apple TV +, the fiasco that was Apple Music for a while, etc. the watch I think was actually a big hit. I don’t think many of us realized that when it launched and the initial reliance on iPhone was a pain but it’s kind of a must have now (especially once the glucose situation gets sorted - FDA recent politics notwithstanding). If and when the apple car materializes, that will be a very big deal also-but it will be a substantial energy investment as apple can’t just develop the car and ride it out. They’ll need to continue to improve, release new hardware and software features, models, etc. so cook hasn’t been without product vision. It’s just not his major forte.

But a new/old guy with product line as his gift would be most welcome. Get things back to making sense and pushing the envelope - only to open when it’s clearly ready. 
    So it’s 100% rushed but you don’t actually point out anything that makes it rushed. You just seemed to think that if you repeat it enough you will be correct. 

The only thing we can gather from the rest of  your comment is you are relatively to Apple and believe some myth you have heard about how Apple ran under Steve Jobs. 

Jobs completely created the culture of controlling the narrative and very much had things to say to and about naysayers. If anything Apple is more tightlipped now about critics than it was then. 

The one thing that has been consistent is there is always some knob that thinks they know what Apple should and shouldn’t do and really doesn’t know what they are taking about. For a long time it was Ric Ford of Macintouch fame, then there Bill Palmer and his various website with screeds about how gerrijg rid of the eMac and keeping the Mac mini was going to cause the company to fail … now we got you. 
    edited February 24 sbdude9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 39 of 58
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 286member
    This is not good. 

TL;DR.
    JinTech9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Rule #1 never buy the first iteration of a new product
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobra