What does your desk look like?: Exploring the home of your mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
THought it would be neat to see what your mac environments are like. I haven't seen a mac look bad on any desk...so show us your set up...here's mine:

My Desk...

A bit more of the room:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My deskspace is a bit less tidy.

Mmm, wine grapes.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Is the content of this thread so much different from the Pic of your computer setup thread to justify a new one?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

Is the content of this thread so much different from the Pic of your computer setup thread to justify a new one?

Probably. Most of my computer stuff is on the floor. The desk is where my Coke cans and Frosted Flakes loom. :P They're Grrrreat! And to think two of my uncles have diabetes...I'm doomed!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Chic, I'm surprised at you, no because I know you or anything, because I don't, but a person with some nice art on the walls ought to have their computer positioned better.

Actually, I'm surprised at most of the mac community whenever these post your setup threads come up. I realize that there are practical considerations for anyone setting up a home office, but it seems so many people put their computers in a hutch or against a wall. A serious ergonomic NO-no. I though mac people were into ergos?

When you spend a long time focusing at close distances, your eyes get tired, the easiest way to make them less tired, is to focus away -- AWAY as in far. That way your eyes don't have to accomodate so much, they get a rest. Workstations out to face a long line of sight, either the inside of the room or a window in order to avoid fatigue.

I know, when I worked for faculty of ed, this came up in school guidelines, most boards don't allow computer desks near windows for theft reasons (even on the second floor, 'cause, well, 'cause bureaucracies are retarded, but anyway) and this is actually contrary to ergo guidelines. Then tecahers get pissy 'cause you tell 'em they can't put computers up against the wall, so they can't fit as many machines as they like into their labs, blah blah... but it's a big issue.

Now we all like that cozy nestled into a nook feeling when we're working, but it turns out that this is bad bad bad for your eyes, and head and neck (as you're more likely to hunch if you don't look up so often).

I always though more mac people would be aware of this, especially since many of the artistic types who use mac need to take good care of their eyes -- designers, photogs, artists and such.

Just a friendly tip, turn those desks around to face the inside of the room, or at least a long wall, or a window if you can. Your eyes will thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

When you spend a long time focusing at close distances, your eyes get tired, the easiest way to make them less tired, is to focus away -- AWAY as in far.

Just a friendly tip, turn those desks around to face the inside of the room, or at least a long wall, or a window if you can. Your eyes will thank you.

Thanks matsu, that is a really important tip and one I hadn't given much thought. I am working in an office now that is rather narrow but has some depth to it but which I have never been very comfortably seated in. I remember that my last office I had my back to the wall and faced into the room looking towards the furthest away wall. I really liked that office: it could have been many factors which made that office nice but this may be one of them and one I hadn't really thought of. Thanks.

*gets up to think about repositioning the desk*
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Not good "news" for those working in those cubic things like in Matrix and Dilbert.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I was going to merge this with thet setup thread, but I was thinking it would be alright by itself if we keep the discussion to "how should my office be set up" kind of things.

What do you guys think?

Myself, I have my desk set into a hutch kinda thing, since that's what I ended up with in my office... had thought of this before, but I didn't see a better way of doing it.

Also just had this new futon thrust upon me (lots of guests going to be here next month)... so I'm a bit limited... I'll have to get a few pics here.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think I'll be moving my desk soon. There are two windows in my room, and I think I'll just rotate my desk 90 degrees clockwise. Then I'll be looking out a window, with a very-very-very-small view of the Carquinez Strait.

edit: vB can't process symbols
  • Reply 9 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hey 'bot. I feel like I know you set-up so well already you've got a window near by, no?

I always had my computers up against a wall though, even when I learned of this, sometimes it's all you can do. That's the good thing about laptops, I can sit at the kitchen table in the morning or wherever I feel comfortable, though my posture is hardly the best when I'm slumped into a big chair or typing in bed. Actually, with a few huge pillows and the PB against my kness, typing in bed is surprisingly comfortable.

Now I have my desk against a big window, but in the afternoon I have to draw the blinds because of the sun.

When I have the time and space, I'm going to build a library/study with a huge table dominating the center and book cases all around.

It's funny though, that when I feel I really have to concentrate on something I revert into cubicle mode and sit and read in a tight space with bad ergos. Must be habit.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    hmm, just a few things I have picked up in my many years of puter usage and book reading.

1.) You should have room to move and sit comfortably.

2.) You should not be able to see ANY reflections in your computer screen. For a similar reason to what Matsu said, if you have a reflection your eyes will "subconciously" focus on the reflection and back to the screen which will make you very tired if not give you killer headaches.

3.) If your job requires the use of the computer for long periods, remember that there is a very high chance that your company will have to pay for your regular eye tests. I go every 6 months, shame I am self employed.

4.) There should not be a high contrast between your screen->monitor edge->and wall behind monitor. I think there are actually some figures - i read it somewhere. So thise sexy black monitors are actually bad for your eyes unless you have a black desktop and black wallpaper.

5.) Again if you work on computers I am 80% sure you are entitled to a 10 min break for every hour at the terminal.

These are based on UK standards that I have picked up - they will need double checking somewhere before you go throwing them in your bosses face.

Generally tho, if you are a computer operator in any field, get a good book / consultant and check what you are entitled to. No matter how good your job is or how stingey your boss is with his budget, is your helth really worth NOT spending a few extra £££/$$$ on your workstation???
  • Reply 11 of 13
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My deskspace is a bit less tidy.

Mmm, wine grapes.

Nice Headphones!, look like mine
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sorry about the duplicate topic I thought that was post your desktop picture. my apologies. Thanks for the good tips about where the computer should be.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I guess my desk complies with all of Matsu's requirements: