KDE 3.1 on OSX

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to get KDE on Osx under X11

Example: http://ultra.litpixel.com:83/graphic..._konqueror.jpg

I am Linux/Unix Noob

I would appreciate if anyone can make me a walkthrough on how to get KDE, compiling it, installing it, and running it under X11

Thanks

running on 17inch pb

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    First step get finkfink

After installing fink pop open a terminal and type without quotes:

"cd /sw/bin" --Return

"sudo ./fink install apt"

That will compile apt-get, the debian package manager

Finially when thats done type in one of hte last commands you will need:

"sudo ./apt-get install bundle-kde-ssl"

That will install KDE and 166 apps for it.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Last login: Mon Jan 19 04:51:18 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

[Paul-Weinsteins-Computer:~] zhenya% cd /sw/bin

[Paul-Weinsteins-Computer:/sw/bin] zhenya% sudo ./fink install apt

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

Password:

Reading package info...

Information about 1159 packages read in 3 seconds.

No packages to install.

[Paul-Weinsteins-Computer:/sw/bin] zhenya%

(I tried this under root as well) it seems that I dont have any Packages to install. I installed Fink 0.5.2
  • Reply 3 of 20
    can someone please help me, I'd really like to get Kde running
  • Reply 4 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    cd /sw/bin Return

sudo ./fink install apt-get Return

Enter Password

sudo ./apt-get install bundle-kde-ssl Return

Then there's something you have to add to (*I think*) either init.sh or init.csh (in the folder /sw/bin/ ) so that X11 starts KDE when you start it. I think that the top part should at least work ok, I'm sorry if not, I haven't slept in like 3 days and have barely any idea of what I'm trying to remember.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    The problem is not getting it started on X11. It wont install any Kde packages

this is what it says: #1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

Password:

Reading package info...

Information about 1159 packages read in 3 seconds.

No packages to install.

[Paul-Weinsteins-Computer:/sw/bin] zhenya%
  • Reply 6 of 20
    It says that when you try to install the KDE bundle? Or apt-get? Are you trying, in the second step, to install apt or apt-get? I think you have to install apt-get with the sudo ./fink install apt-get command (using 'apt' instead of 'apt-get' should work, but it's worth trying both ways). Then use apt-get to install the KDE files by typing sudo ./apt-get install bundle-kde-ssl. If that all works out ok, KDE is now installed, but to get it launch KDE when you start X11 there is a file you have to edit, but I don't remember exactly which file that is right now. To see which packages have been installed, cd /sw/bin and type ./fink list, this will show you a (huge) list of packages that can be installed through fink. Just to the very left of the names of the packages there is a little space, if the certain package is installed, this space to the left of it's name will have an i in it. If all the Terminal junk is making this harder than it should be for you, check out Fink Commander. It's a way to control Fink through a GUI instead of the command line.

I need sleep badly, I wish you luck.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    ok, first off, with fink, you dont have to, and i dont think you should really, cd into /sw/bin. running a program should never require you to be in a certain directory. second, fink requires (i'm pretty sure) that /sw/bin be in your path, so cd'ing in there is sort of a extra step. so, if your running tcsh (the macosx default), add this line to your .tcshrc (located in your home folder, create a new one if not present):

source /sw/bin/init.csh;

if you're running bash, sh, ksh or similars, then add this to your .profile (in your home folder, or make a new file):

. /sw/bin/init.sh;

(if your not sure what your running, type 'echo $SHELL' [no quotes] in a terminal and try to decipher the output.)

now kill your terminal window, and open a fresh one. now you won't need to cd anywhere. apt-get is automaticaly installed with fink, so you dont have to manually install it. and the message that you received about respecting privacy and shit, was from 'sudo'. whenever you use 'sudo' before a command, it executes the command as the super-user, and if you've never done that before, it warns you. the password you entered was for sudo.

now, to install kde, you have a couple of options. you can use fink (which will download source code, and compile it on your computer [which takes a while..possibly days depending on your computer.. for a full kde bundle]), or you can apt-get it. apt-get will not get source code, it will get precompiled binaries, so it's a lot quicker. the syntax for the commands is very similar:

sudo fink install bundle-kde

sudo apt-get install bundle-kde

note: pick one of the commands, not both.

you can also use bundle-kde-ssl instead, if you want secure-socket-layer versions of relevant network libraries. personally, i always get from source, because i like to get the latest and least tested versions, so i only use fink, but apt-get will probably do what you need it to do. you may get a question about installing dependancies, answer yes.

if you get any errors, report back.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

ok, first off, with fink, you dont have to, and i dont think you should really, cd into /sw/bin. running a program should never require you to be in a certain directory. second, fink requires (i'm pretty sure) that /sw/bin be in your path, so cd'ing in there is sort of a extra step. so, if your running tcsh (the macosx default), add this line to your .tcshrc (located in your home folder, create a new one if not present):

source /sw/bin/init.csh;

if you're running bash, sh, ksh or similars, then add this to your .profile (in your home folder, or make a new file):

. /sw/bin/init.sh;

ok, dude I dont even undertstand what you wrote^

could you just explain how to Cd, and adding lines to tcsh
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Look over what I did, and tell me if I am doing something wrong.

[Zhenya-Weinsteins-Computer:/sw/bin] zhenyaweinstein% sudo ./apt-get install bundle-kde-ssl

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

The following extra packages will be installed:

(package list) 0 packages upgraded, 202 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 155MB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Get:1 http://us.dl.sourceforge.net 10.2/release/main audiofile-shlibs 0.2.3-4 [200kB]

(downloading all the packages)

bundle-kde-ssl 3.1-16 [1628B]

Fetched 155MB in 13m54s (186kB/s)

dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec dpkg-split to see if it's part of a multiparter: No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/audiofile-shlibs_0.2.3-4_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2

dpkg (subprocess): failed to exec dpkg-split to see if it's part of a multiparter: No such file or directory

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/db3-shlibs_3.3.11-13_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/dlcompat-shlibs_20021117-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/dlcompat_20021117-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/esound-common_0.2.28-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/esound-shlibs_0.2.28-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/freetype2-shlibs_2.0.9-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/gdbm-shlibs_1.8.0-6_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/gmp-shlibs_4.1.1-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libjpeg-shlibs_6b-6_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libjpeg-bin_6b-6_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libogg-shlibs_1.0.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libtiff-shlibs_3.5.7-7_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libtiff-bin_3.5.7-7_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

dpkg: error processing /sw/var/cache/apt/archives/netpbm10-shlibs_10.12-2_darwin-powerpc.deb (--unpack):

Errors were encountered while processing:

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/audiofile-shlibs_0.2.3-4_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/db3-shlibs_3.3.11-13_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/dlcompat-shlibs_20021117-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/dlcompat_20021117-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/esound-common_0.2.28-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/esound-shlibs_0.2.28-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/freetype2-shlibs_2.0.9-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/gdbm-shlibs_1.8.0-6_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/gmp-shlibs_4.1.1-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libjpeg-shlibs_6b-6_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libjpeg-bin_6b-6_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libogg-shlibs_1.0.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libtiff-shlibs_3.5.7-7_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/libtiff-bin_3.5.7-7_darwin-powerpc.deb

/sw/var/cache/apt/archives/netpbm10-shlibs_10.12-2_darwin-powerpc.deb

E: Sub-process /sw/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

[Zhenya-Weinsteins-Computer:/sw/bin] zhenyaweinstein%
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Fixed the problem, I didnt have the new X11.

Ok I installed all the packages, whats next??
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Okay I installed all the packages. Now X11 will not start up it has a Funny "X" that replaced my mouse pointer
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I got Kde 3.1 to work!

I am just wondering my folder "sw" in my HD is like 768mgs is that normal? or do I have other junk in there?

I am also wondering can I dellete Fink and all of its components b/c I am not going to be installing anymore packages
  • Reply 13 of 20
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeffx342

I am also wondering can I dellete Fink and all of its components b/c I am not going to be installing anymore packages

no.

Fink is the package manager, used to install, UPDATE, DELETE packages. If you've installed anything using fink, you shouldn't delete it.

Fink itself doesn't use a lot of disk space, the installed packages do.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Yeah, my /sw folder is 1.3 Gb, so you're fine. I didn't know apt-get came installed usually, because I didn't have it, and had to install it. That's why I was telling you to get it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    You can delete the contents of /sw/src That will give ya a good couple of hundred MB
  • Reply 16 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Any pointers for good KDE themes?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    How do you install all the packages, like what is the command for the terminal?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    apt-get install bundle-kde-sll will install 166 apps plus KDE..
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ok, I already installed Kde
  • Reply 20 of 20
    When you installed KDE it installed all the basic apps you would use if it were running in a Linux environment. You can start them in KDE. What other apps do you want to install to run in X11? If you want to install them just like you did KDE. For example, xjig is jigsaw puzzle. You use ./fink install xjig or ./apt-get install xjig.