Apple in talks to license Google Gemini AI for iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    I hope for this to never happen. Gemini is involved in several deviant projects including the ongoing genocide in Palestine.
    Source?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    basjhj said:
    Apple is really behind on AI and Apple should feel uncomfrtable with the current situation.
    People often say that Apple is behind with little to prove that. So far I have only read its in reports from Morgan Stanley and its ilk. Or Bloomberg. I would take it with a big grain of salt.
    Well... Apple is behind. You have ChatGPT 4.0 vs. Siri. GitHub Copilot launched in 2021 vs. Xcode that might get updated in 2024 - 3 years behind! Apple will have to pay to get access to tech developed by other companies, and this imported tech won't even be designed by Apple or bring our platforms ahead.

But not only that. The world is asking "what is real" and the company not working on this is Apple. MS, Adobe, Sony, Intel, Canon, Nikon, Arm... are all together but no Apple:  https://c2pa.org/. Apple should spend less time fighting against USB-C and more on doing what is important and right.
    anantksundaramavon b7williamlondonctt_zhAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    schmrtzzz said:
    Google on my iPhone? That’s never ever going to happen. Even if that means saying goodbye to Apple after 36 years. No way.
    Then were are you going to go?  A dumb phone?  Keep Google's garbage off your phone and don't use that racist Gemini Woke garbage!!!

But again, this is all just a rumor.  It's a rumor until Apple says it is coming or shows up.  The news is wrong and lies all the time.  Take it for what it is, mostly garbage!!   
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member

Apple is hardly behind but they are on a different path and actually are able to execute on hardware and software Apple doesn't need Google the Tensor is 5 or 6 years behind Apple right now and Google is a long way from running AI locally on their feeble Tensor SOC'S and Samsung is (hopelessly) even further away and Microsoft isn't even in the mobile ball game right now, note Wall Street is clueless about this little detail in their AI Hype train.

AI on the edge is the pathway Apple is on, phoning home and having the end user wait is the path Google, Microsoft, Meta, Qualcomm and Samsung are on. Why? Their SOC'S/OS software are way behind Apple. 

What Apple does need to do/consider is leveraging the full benefit of Apple Silicon, the low power/wattage, speed, UMA memory combined with a OS optimized to the hardware just screams out, the M3 Studio Ultra with 256 gigs (coming at WWDC) or a Mac M3 Extreme (CarPlay wasn't all for nothing) Pro tower with 512 gigs just says welcome to the world of inference on the Mac. Apple is/has been working on software tools to support developers for long time.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/apple-explains-how-it-uses-machine-learning-across-ios-and-soon-macos/.  From 2020 before the current AI Hype

https://venturebeat.com/ai/apple-researchers-achieve-breakthroughs-in-multimodal-ai-as-company-ramps-up-investments/

https://daily.dev/blog/mm1-the-advanced-30b-parameters-multimodal-llm-from-apple

Apple has been consistent in their AI/ML on the edge pathway. Apple won't be using Google anymore for AI than they currently use Google maps.
    edited March 18 tmayAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 57
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    Hard pass, if true. Google free for a long time, plan to stay that way. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 57
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    michelb76 said:
    The most interesting point would be who contacted who at first? 
    The more advanced AI is, the less relevant the web search service will be. Therefore, I would not be surprised if Google contacted Apple at first.

Apple is really behind on AI and Apple should feel uncomfrtable with the current situation.
    I guess you missed MM1 as well.

And this MM1 with 30b parameters does not seem to be ready? 
    None of the models on the market are 'average consumer' ready. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 57
    schmrtzzz said:
    Google on my iPhone? That’s never ever going to happen. Even if that means saying goodbye to Apple after 36 years. No way.
    Yeah, let’s switch to Android
    …No wait
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 57
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    I predict Apple is leveraging Googles existing product while getting theirs dialed in. They also deliver a working solution in the very near term, probably in June. 
    edited March 18 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 57
    nubusnubus Posts: 387member
    danox said:

AI on the edge is the pathway Apple is on, phoning home and having the end user wait is the path Google, Microsoft, Meta, Qualcomm and Samsung are on. Why? Their SOC'S/OS software are way behind Apple. 

Apple continues to sell Macs with 8 GB and most iPhones with 6 GB. It seems generative AI will need devices with 12, 16, or 20 GB memory in total. Memory can't be upgraded in any of the devices made by Apple. Apple is aware and should have shipped all M3 products with at least 16 GB, lowered memory prices, and updated the iPhones with extra memory if AI-on-device was the goal.

Is the processor ready? No. The M3 Max tops out at 18 TOPS for AI which is at the level of iPhone 14 Pro. M3 Max delivers half the AI performance of iPhone 15 Pro. Testing showed that what takes a M3 Max 100 seconds is handled within 8 seconds by a Nvidia 4090 (launched 1 year ahead of M3 Max). And Apple killed the eGPU to make upgrades impossible.

None of this sounds like Apple is having a honest or clear pathway to run AI-on-device for current devices.
    ctt_zhwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 30 of 57
    jbdragon said:
    schmrtzzz said:
    Then were are you going to go?  A dumb phone?  Keep Google's garbage off your phone and don't use that racist Gemini Woke garbage!!!

But again, this is all just a rumor.  It's a rumor until Apple says it is coming or shows up.  The news is wrong and lies all the time.  Take it for what it is, mostly garbage!!   
    Supposedly dumb phones are growing in popularity.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 31 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    MacPro said:
    dk49 said:
    What the hell!
    I thought Apple had developed its own LLM which is on par with gpt 3.5. Didn't expect Apple to borrow a core technology from outside.
    Yep. If true, this absolutely sucks. 
    Maybe the Gemini and Open AI will be alternative stand-alone app options to Apple's own built-in AI, kind of like offering alternative browsers. Perhaps a way of fending off the walled garden lawsuits.
    All for options. 

If you want a weird, slanted one-way ai, great. It should be available. But as an option. Not the hilt in standard. And not the “Apple” product. 

Just another crappy app to try. No prob. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 57
    I hope for this to never happen. Gemini is involved in several deviant projects including the ongoing genocide in Palestine.
    Genocide has been going on for a long time. It’s not new. The Oct. massacre was just a recent public example. There are constantly bombings, rockets, etc that the Israelis have to defend against. This was all prior to Gemini. Hopefully ai can somehow be used to predict these kinds of things before they happen. Analyze patterns etc. 

it’s a crazy time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    Gatorguy will be thrilled. ;) Seriously, though, if true, what does this say about Apple's own AI and all the rumors? Is it simply a stopgap, as Apple isn't ready yet? Or perhaps Apple is seeing Genimi as a revenue stream and as a user option for its own AI system? If so, how would that work if Apple wants to maintain user's privacy?  So many questions!
    ;)

I expect Apple to license OpenAI. Had Google not been keeping notes on meetings between the two companies that should have been off the record, Google's chances would be better IMO.
    Or Grok, it's now open source! Holy Cow, Batman!  Imagine an Oracle or Broadcom running with that.  MS spent how much on OPenAI?  Is Musk out for revenge or just anarchy?
    edited March 18 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 57
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    michelb76 said:
    Makes sense. You can say Apple lags behind, but all AI tools are still not ready for primetime AT ALL. None of them have a level of polish that allows a regular user to use them...
    Nonsense. Not a day goes by that ChatGPT 4 and DALL-E don't save me AT LEAST a week's worth of work if I had to do it on my own. I've never been involved with computers or coding as an occupation, but it took me less than a day to sharpen my prompt-writing to the point that I was getting excellent results. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Wait a minute... Isn't OpenAI "Open" as in open source?

Ok,  Apple should go with OpenAI.  
    Just contribute some money to the pot and get their models and refine them like Microsoft.
    Besides, Apple is already licensing voice recognition for SIRI from Microsoft, since they bought Nuance.

Google will likely be much more expensive than OpenAI and perhaps arguably more refined.

These models are probably mainly standardized and are differentiated mostly by training.
    Time will tell.

• Reply 36 of 57
    I respek they choice - Gemini be like da bes' MF AI eva
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 37 of 57
    JoharJohar Posts: 12member
    I sincerely hope and believe that this isn't what Apple decides to do. It would reek of the inability of pre-Jobs Apple to develop a modern OS. It's one thing for Apple to refrain form competing with Google on regular ad-financed search. Giving up on providing Apple users with a well-crafted AI service with rock solid privacy would be a huge failing - completely unworthy of a resource rich company like Apple. If it does happen, I will never ever use a Google AI service.
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Johar said:
    I sincerely hope and believe that this isn't what Apple decides to do. It would reek of the inability of pre-Jobs Apple to develop a modern OS. It's one thing for Apple to refrain form competing with Google on regular ad-financed search. Giving up on providing Apple users with a well-crafted AI service with rock solid privacy would be a huge failing - completely unworthy of a resource rich company like Apple. If it does happen, I will never ever use a Google AI service.
    Too late.  Do you use Google Search?
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 39 of 57
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danox said:

Apple is hardly behind but they are on a different path and actually are able to execute on hardware and software Apple doesn't need Google the Tensor is 5 or 6 years behind Apple right now and Google is a long way from running AI locally on their feeble Tensor SOC'S and Samsung is (hopelessly) even further away and Microsoft isn't even in the mobile ball game right now, note Wall Street is clueless about this little detail in their AI Hype train.

What Apple does need to do/consider is leveraging the full benefit of Apple Silicon, the low power/wattage, speed, UMA memory combined with a OS optimized to the hardware just screams out, the M3 Studio Ultra with 256 gigs (coming at WWDC) or a Mac M3 Extreme (CarPlay wasn't all for nothing) Pro tower with 512 gigs just says welcome to the world of inference on the Mac. Apple is/has been working on software tools to support developers for long time.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/apple-explains-how-it-uses-machine-learning-across-ios-and-soon-macos/.  From 2020 before the current AI Hype

https://venturebeat.com/ai/apple-researchers-achieve-breakthroughs-in-multimodal-ai-as-company-ramps-up-investments/

https://daily.dev/blog/mm1-the-advanced-30b-parameters-multimodal-llm-from-apple

Apple has been consistent in their AI/ML on the edge pathway. Apple won't be using Google anymore for AI than they currently use Google maps.
    I think that Apple have no option but AI on the edge.  They don't have the datacenters or infrastructure to run AI / LMM as MS, Google or Meta.  And MS is going for AI on the edge too, with the new processors + NPU from Intel, AMD and Qualcomm.  Looks like MS is the one with all bases covered, from edge to the cloud and AI services.  
    9secondkox2Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 57
    danvm said:
    danox said:

I think that Apple have no option but AI on the edge.  They don't have the datacenters or infrastructure to run AI / LMM as MS, Google or Meta.  And MS is going for AI on the edge too, with the new processors + NPU from Intel, AMD and Qualcomm.  Looks like MS is the one with all bases covered, from edge to the cloud and AI services.  
    You’re saying that Apple Music Apple, iMessage Apple, iCloud Apple, Siri Apple…. Doesn’t have the infrastructure or hasn’t been building the infrastructure to run AI? They’re already RUNNING AI. 

Also, Apple partners with a few to ensure the ship doesn’t leak. Microsoft surely doesn’t have some corner on the market. LOL

Apple has been supposedly working on a SIRI upgrade for a while now. Add generative capabilities to the new SIRI and it’s done. Apple may choose to follow the current trend of pay for more generations. But I sincerely hope they include it as an Apple differentiator. Bypass the Nick and dime crap. Do it or don’t. But I can see the pulling an iCloud plus thing. 

Also, M series has been ready for AI from launch. And they’re only adding more neural engines. It could be that we can on-device AI processing while the beggars get cloud crap. That would be something. 

Just so long as it’s not connected to that Gemini trash.