PowerPoint vs. Keynote

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which do you like better? Explain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Keynote. Superb transitions, better font managment. Better integration with programs I use. Also the import and exports are great (although quicktime could still use some work)

However, lack of times is annoying. I haven't used powerpoint even once since I bought Keynote.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I don't think there's any competition. Keynote wins hands down.

The PowerPoint importing needs improvement...but I don't really care. For a 1.0 release, Keynote is amazing...and kicks the snot out of PowerPoint.

That said, I'm looking forward to Keynote 2.0 and other iSuite apps (a word processor at this point would be fun.)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I don't think there's any competition. Keynote wins hands down.

The PowerPoint importing needs improvement...but I don't really care. For a 1.0 release, Keynote is amazing...and kicks the snot out of PowerPoint.

That said, I'm looking forward to Keynote 2.0 and other iSuite apps (a word processor at this point would be fun.)

AMEN! My 16 year old sister learned Keynote in 10 minutes after spending 2 hours trying to figure out PowerPoint. Not to mention some of my friends are begging me to let them use my Powerbook so they can give Keynote presentations instead of being forced to use PowerPoint. It is good to be a Mac user.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Wow! I was undecided on which to buy but I guess ill go with keynote, thanks for the feedback
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't think it is quite that straight forward. There are things you can do in PowerPoint that you just can't do in Keynote. Like have a Bezier curve "grow" to form a connection between two things. Starting from scratch you can do cooler things in Keynote in a few minutes than you can in PowerPoint in a few days. But there are a lot of things that you can do in PowerPoint that you just cannot do in Keynote.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I don't think it is quite that straight forward. There are things you can do in PowerPoint that you just can't do in Keynote. Like have a Bezier curve "grow" to form a connection between two things. Starting from scratch you can do cooler things in Keynote in a few minutes than you can in PowerPoint in a few days. But there are a lot of things that you can do in PowerPoint that you just cannot do in Keynote.

But overall Keynote wins. The big picture is that Keynote is better. Sure, there will always be little things one does better than the other, but they're mostly unimportant.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

But overall Keynote wins. The big picture is that Keynote is better. Sure, there will always be little things one does better than the other, but they're mostly unimportant.

I guess I am not convinced that we are just talking about little unimportant things. The fact is that PowerPoint has a lot more features than Keynote, so the chances that Keynote is missing a feature that is important to you is a lot greater than the chances that PowerPoint is missing a feature. In fact, I can't think of any features that Keynote has that PowerPoint doesn't have. It is just that the basic features are implemented better in Keynote.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I guess I am not convinced that we are just talking about little unimportant things. The fact is that PowerPoint has a lot more features than Keynote, so the chances that Keynote is missing a feature that is important to you is a lot greater than the chances that PowerPoint is missing a feature. In fact, I can't think of any features that Keynote has that PowerPoint doesn't have. It is just that the basic features are implemented better in Keynote.

Can you provide a list of these features that Keynote might not have?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Can you provide a list of these features that Keynote might not have?

No. Frankly I have only used PowerPoint a few times. I can give you one feature I really like. When I give an important presentation I usual give a couple practices in front of my coworkers. When I do this I like to print out thumb nails of the slides so that people can mark corrections on the slides and it is easy to see what they are talking about. In PowerPoint you can easily print out all your slides on one or two sheets of paper. It even understands that you might want to print a color presentation on a black and white laser printer, so there is some check box buried someplace you can check and you can print your yellow on blue slides without wasting all that ink.

My officemate is really much better with PowerPoint than I am. She can do all sorts of cool animation stuff. Keynote's control over builds is really pretty bad. If you want one object to be replaced by another one you pretty much have to have two seperate slides. That is a really bad solution because if you change something on one slide you have to keep going back and switching things on the other slides. PowerPoint's build and animation options give you much more control than Keynote's.

I don't really want to defend PowerPoint here. I don't give enough presentations to remember how to use all the features, and of course, being made by M$ nothing is obvious and it is always trying to force you to do things its way. The couple times I have used it I end up constantly bothering my officemate to show me how to do stuff. Still, like with all the other Office apps, there are a lot of features there which do just about anything you need and there are no competing programs that can match all those features.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'd say that PP does have an edge over KN in the per-object transition on a single slide... I ran into that recently, and oh mama, was it painful.

The KN drawing tools are pretty weak as well, BUT... KN lets you drag and drop just about any ol bloody image into it naturally... may I recommend OmniGraffle as *THE* drawing app to replace PP's adequate, but when you get right down to it, really lousy drawing system? Fire that puppy up, and edit, edit, edit. Drag and drop to KN, and it's slick, easy, and gorgeous. Can't do that with PP... you want to draw, you use PP's tools, and that's it.

I hear OG3.0 has much better integration with KN, actually, although I have yet to try it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    OmniGraffle 3 is sweeet !!!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Whats OmniGraffle?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Here ya go - OmniGraffle
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Whats the big deal about it? I can do that in MS Paint...
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Whats the big deal about it? I can do that in MS Paint...

Yeah, right

Seriously though, you just have to experience it to understand what kind of beautiful cocoa goodness this program really is. But hey, if paint is good enough for ya
  • Reply 16 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Logan, the point is that Keynote lets you choose the application that makes the most sense for *you*, instead of locking you in to an iffy set of drawing tools. (PP is better than Keynote for drawing tools, but can't even come close to a dedicated graphics app.) The tools in Keynote are just basic, basic, basic for casual basic use. The drag and drop from any other graphics app is the key.

OmniGraffle is a competent Visio competitor... MS Paint isn't even in the neighborhood, much less the running.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Dont be insulting MS Paint. It has gotten me thru some tough times.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Dont be insulting MS Paint. It has gotten me thru some tough times.

Well, you just have to admire such an elegant and comprehensive application - don't you
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Wow, I am actually very disapointed in keynote, I finally got around to buying it and from my experience, powerpoint is WAY better. Its hard to even figure out how to use keynote, very un-apple. I cant even figure out how to animate objects flying in or make decent transitions. Boo apple.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

I cant even figure out how to animate objects flying in or make decent transitions. Boo apple.

Select a slide and open the inspector to choose a transition. It looks like you have more control on animating the objects in Keynote. I haven't used this feature in PP, but it looked like you you can select to have things flying in and out using predetermined sequences, while in Keynote, you have a bit more flexibility (speed, number of objects, order).

I found it easier to "discover" these features in Keynote than in PP without reading the manual.