Apple's next big thing could be a home robot

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 920member
    I bet this will end up like the Apple car. 
    Apple just throwing stuff out there and seeing what sticks lol.

Apple does not seem to be focused. Ring, the apple car, robots now.. When can we expect real things?
    Focused? Oh, you mean like Tesla and its Cybertruck? A project with no sizable pool of potential buyers and no easy way to scale that should have been abandoned, but no... Testa stayed "focused" on bringing it to market no matter what, like some dog chewing on a bone it knows is poisoned... but instead of dropping it, stays "focused" on chewing some more. And if you're thinking this poisoned bone simile is a little over the top, here's what Elon had to say about Cybertruck: "We dug our own grave with it." If Apple made a mistake with the car, it's that it stayed focused on it for too long and probably should have shut it down earlier--but since Tim cancelled his weekly meetings with me, I can't say that I know that for a fact. But with a slew of heavyweight competitors in the EV business now and EV sales starting to slow significantly, this was a still a good time to abandon Project Titan. 

If you're waiting on "real things" to appear, I suggest you book yourself a demo of Vision Pro at your local Apple Store. Nothing much "new" or "real" to see there other than the most radical and innovative advance in personal computing since the invention of the GUI. And if you're wondering what the hell to do with it, maybe read stories here on AI about how hospitals are already putting this v1.0 product that has been out for all of TWO months to good use in operating rooms. But yeah, Apple's just sitting on its butt. 
    edited April 3 tmayroundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,217member
    TBF, exploring ways to overcome areas where EVs are, how shall we say it? severely lacking, is precisely what Tesla is doing with the cybertruck. And hey, if you are going to experiment, might as well do it with flair.
    williamlondonwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 23 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,380member
    charlesn said:

Apple does not seem to be focused. Ring, the apple car, robots now.. When can we expect real things?
    Focused? Oh, you mean like Tesla and its Cybertruck? A project with no sizable pool of potential buyers and no easy way to scale that should have been abandoned, but no... Testa stayed "focused" on bringing it to market no matter what, like some dog chewing on a bone it knows is poisoned... but instead of dropping it, stays "focused" on chewing some more. And if you're thinking this poisoned bone simile is a little over the top, here's what Elon had to say about Cybertruck: "We dug our own grave with it." If Apple made a mistake with the car, it's that it stayed focused on it for too long and probably should have shut it down earlier--but since Tim cancelled his weekly meetings with me, I can't say that I know that for a fact. But with a slew of heavyweight competitors in the EV business now and EV sales starting to slow significantly, this was a still a good time to abandon Project Titan. 

If you're waiting on "real things" to appear, I suggest you book yourself a demo of Vision Pro at your local Apple Store. Nothing much "new" or "real" to see there other than the most radical and innovative advance in personal computing since the invention of the GUI. And if you're wondering what the hell to do with it, maybe read stories here on AI about how hospitals are already putting this v1.0 product that has been out for all of TWO months to good use in operating rooms. But yeah, Apple's just sitting on its butt. 
    What do you mean the CyberTruck can't scale? 
    They could scale it down and make a city bus. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    RigiDigiRigiDigi Posts: 14member
    Clearly the robot aims to be an advancement of their first digital pest, the iWatch.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Would be cool to control with the Vision Pro - especially for people with mobility issues.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 26 of 35
    losethloseth Posts: 3member
    By the time Apple manages to get a "vacuum robot" to market, the likes of Tesla Optimus, Figure, 1X.tech's Eve/Neo, and other companies will have a humanoid robot in the market that can perform useful hands-on tasks. People will expect way more than a wheel-around-with-me-Siri. Frankly I can't see how Apple can catch up unless they buy one of the major robotics firms. Otherwise they will be left with some kind of CarPlay for robots… Sorry for being pessimistic.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 35
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    Kind of late for an April Fools joke.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 710member
    A logical move, I guess, after AI initiative. Do I need a robot following me around? Nope. But because of the emergent of AI, big companies are trying to figure out what is the next step. I don't think robot is right route......yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    TechnoguideTechnoguide Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Coincidentally, just posted this article about 30 mins before AppleInsider posted this story: https://skytech.io/2024/04/embracing-robotic-companionship-a-brighter-future-for-seniors/

williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 35
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 552member
    Still just want the Knowledge Navigator....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,447member

What do you think R&D is? 

And, they are delivering "real things" all the time, what on earth do you mean? It's literally been 3 months since the last major brand new product launch.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,447member

eightzero said:
    dewme said:
    I had to check the date on this one. Two days overdue.
    yup. this stuff is pure fantasy, much like that Apple Car story. Apple was never, ever, going to make a whole car.
    Again, what do you think R&D is? Tech for Project Titan was pursued until it was determined that they wouldn't be able to deliver the product they had set out to build. This happens ALL THE TIME. The iPad was shelved before the iPhone, only for it to come out years later. Had they concluded they could build the car product they wanted to, they would have certainly done so. Saying they were "never ever going to" is ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35
    byronlbyronl Posts: 369member

What are some examples of "real things"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 35
    jayweiss said:

Apple is doing what Apple has always done. They consider new products and figure out if they are viable or not.

There have been many rumored products over the years that never materialized. Steve Jobs talked bout how Apple developed a PDA and scrapped it, there was the rumored audio interface for GarageBand that Think Secret reported and Apple sued them out of existence for covering, I feel like there was a camera in there but that might be wishful thinking on my part.  Phones were something they were considering and was born out of the iPad project. So yeah, Apple fiddles with ideas and pursues the one's they think are viable. Kinda the point of R&D.  

As for "real" things go, Apple post Steve Job's return isn't a company that ventures into entirely new product lines frequently and they just released did the Apple Vision Pro. I don't think we are going to see a big new products in the near future. Refreshes of existing stuff? Sure.

There was a camera. It was called the QuickTake camera and was released in 1994. It had a resolution of 640x480. 
    Snazzy Labs just made a video about it:  Retro Review: Apple's Digital Camera - QuickTake 200 (Circa 1996)           
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    I've been expecting for Apple to build a robot since 2016 when they showed the robot at the end of their exploding light bulb ad. We also remember Tim Cook's interview with Kara Swisher in 2021 when Cook said the following "If you sort of step back, the car, in a lot of ways, is a robot. An autonomous car is a robot. And so there's lots of things you can do with autonomy. And we'll see what Apple does." 

Exploding lightbulbs Ad: https://youtu.be/hCI26Xcp2lQ?si=zLg5OzweYhUd8y47 
     Scene begins @ 1:17

Just like AI, I think Apple might be playing from the back of the pack on this market too. There are so many companies out there that have decades of work in this field. Just look at how far Boston Dynamics have come. Cold Fusion had a really good video breakdown on companies that are already deep into robotics.  The Race For AI Robots Just Got Real (OpenAI, NVIDIA and more). I would think Apple would need to consider buying several of these companies to catch up. Not unlike what they are doing with AI right now. 
    watto_cobrabyronl