Apple prepares to enable sideloading and App Store changes in EU

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    blastdoor said:
    Maybe so, but another possibility is that the iPhone experience will be a bit more like the Mac experience. The Mac allows “side loading” and third part app stores, yet the Mac isn’t some kind of hellscape. The Mac is just a bit more complex to manage — you need to “know what you are doing” with a Mac in a way that you don’t with an iPhone. But I like my Mac quite a bit. 

On the other hand, even for people who “know what they’re doing” on a Mac, it’s nice to have extra default protection and simplicity on a phone. So I am inclined to agree that this might be a downgrade for most users. But I don’t think it’s going to be *horrible* — more like, a little less nice. 
    THIS. IMHO, the Mac now has the ideal environment. App Store if you want maximum security and ease of use. DMG installer for the next level, more powerful app. And terminal if you are a console warrior. Each mode has its use depending on what kind of user you want to be.

There is no reason why the iPhone can't be like this. Now usually, we don't really need crazy powerful apps on the iPhone, like we do on the desktop. But some people want that. All apple needs to do is have a disclaimer - "if you use a 3rd party software and screw up your phone, we won't support you." Easy. Now it's on the user what level of control they are prepared to accept.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Alex_V said:
    rob53 said:
    Good luck Europe. Prepare to be controlled by your government requiring loading of government-sponsored malware tracking your every movement without any need for a warrant. The first third-party app storefront will be controlled by your local police force, requiring every citizen to load government specific software. In many cases you won't even know they're loading monitoring software, you'll be required to load a government app that includes voter ID, driver's license, etc. Everything in one app will be presented as software everyone needs for taxes and every other government process. Guess what's going to also be loaded in the background .... yep, monitoring software so they know where you're at and what you're doing. Have fun!!
    You mean, like the commercial malware that Google installs on every computer tracking your every move, reading every email and document, while denying you any privacy at all? Or, do you mean the commercial malware that Facebook uses to track your movements, your social network, likes and dislike, and monitoring your phone and linking your number to your purchases, memberships etc., that is, your life away from the internet. Or, do you mean the commercial cookie hell that was the internet before the EU stepped in and regulated that kak? All of this thanks to your pole-dancing prostitutes that you call ‘representatives’ doing nothing to reign in the most egregious invasions of privacy and attacks on personal freedom being unleashed from the bowels of capitalist Silicon Valley. Is that what you mean?
    Neither of these views are correct, because neither of you have actual proof that any of this is happening.

Stop trolling. Just because a system is not baby-proof does not make it insecure. iOS WAS baby-proof, by formerly only having one way to get apps on it - through the gatekeeper App Store. You were forced into Apple's sanitized experience. I personally like that experience (security by default), which is why I use Apple. But there's no reason at all to not allow people who want to take off the training wheels to do so should they choose.

People complain that Windows is insecure. But if that were true, every windows machine would be hacked, and everyone would have switched to Mac ages ago. The truth is Windows is not insecure, so long as you know what you are doing (install virus/spyware protection, don't download from insecure websites, etc.) Again, I would rather not bother with all that crap, so I use a Mac. But if people want the Windows environment and all that entails, god bless them. (Just don't cry to me when you get hacked, lol.)
    muthuk_vanalingam