Apple's FineWoven case and Apple Watch band lineup may have been cut short

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Apple often get things wrong, mostly due to their Eco friendly spin, fact is if a product doesn't sell, they will drop it, they've already had their pounds worth of fake publicity, so no point in carrying on.
    Regardless of the perceived or not problems with the product, I personally never understood how anyone could even contemplate buying it 😳
  • Reply 22 of 38
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member

Alex_V said:
    As long as there is beef, there is leather. Beef isn’t going anywhere, so better to utilize what would otherwise go to waste. It’s more efficient use of resources, more respectful to the sacrifice of the animal, and results in better quality products. 

I see that there is an industry-sponsored website that argues your exact point. What a coincidence! The website wants to convince us not to trouble our little heads on the subject leather. Still, leather is not merely a by-product of the beef industry. It is an integral part of the business. A significant proportion of the world’s population is vegetarian. I live in a place that is substantially vegetarian with a significant proportion of veganism (no dairy, no eggs etc.). Every bakery has eggless items on sale here. Vegetarianism and veganism are on the rise in the West, driven by health, environmental, and ethical reasons. On the other hand, meat eating increases as populations get better off, notably in China.
    Vaganism is a fad amongst a certain type of the population, it's certainly not a significant portion of the population, no where near it!
    Spitbath
  • Reply 23 of 38
    krawallkrawall Posts: 164member
    NOOOO>

I love my fine-woven, just bought another one to mix up the colors a bit. Looks like I have to buy more :-( 

They're fantastic. I like the texture. I like that they can be easily cleaned (soap and a brush and they're as good as new).

I have no problem with scuffing or anything like that. I just find it it attracts dirt a bit too easy but then soaping it up and brushing it makes it brand new again! 

Hope they reconsider. It's the best case I've owned ... (I live in SEA, so leather doesn't work here and silicone keeps pulling my pockets out of my jeans)

• Reply 24 of 38
    I posted this elsewhere but I'll do it again here since it is relevant. 

I am seem to be one of the few people that got a FineWoven case that isn't a problem. Got it with the phone in September and it seems to be gong strong. 
    Ditto. No problems with mine either. As lovely as leather? No. But we’ve got to reduce the impact bovine agriculture has on the planet in every way possible. Either that, or reduce human population by about half. Good luck with that. Perhaps use human leather? /shudder/
    As long as there is beef, there is leather. Beef isn’t going anywhere, so better to utilize what would otherwise go to waste. It’s more efficient use of resources, more respectful to the sacrifice of the animal, and results in better quality products. 

The case against leather isn't so much about whether or not it's wasteful, or "more efficient use of resources" or some "respectful to the sacrifice of the animal" garbage (as if it had a choice in its "sacrifice"), it's because the modern industrial tanning process is toxic as hell, to both the environment and the tanning workers.
    muthuk_vanalingamtyler82
  • Reply 25 of 38
    thedbathedba Posts: 776member
    40domi said:
    Apple often get things wrong, mostly due to their Eco friendly spin, fact is if a product doesn't sell, they will drop it, they've already had their pounds worth of fake publicity, so no point in carrying on.
    Regardless of the perceived or not problems with the product, I personally never understood how anyone could even contemplate buying it 😳
    Please provide links/proof where Apple's "eco friendly" spin led to inferior products.
    Butterfly keyboards, hockey puck mouse, trashcan Mac Pro, Air Power ????
    I agree with the "spin" part of your argument. 
    As far as people contemplating buying it, I can understand that. They really are "good looking" products. May not hold up to daily use in the long term but they really are nice, when new.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    omasouomasou Posts: 611member
    Bring back leather!!!!

The silicon cases are horrible.

The fine woven look cheap, didn't even bother to try them after looking at them when released.
    mike1
  • Reply 27 of 38
    40domi said:

Alex_V said:

I see that there is an industry-sponsored website that argues your exact point. What a coincidence! The website wants to convince us not to trouble our little heads on the subject leather. Still, leather is not merely a by-product of the beef industry. It is an integral part of the business. A significant proportion of the world’s population is vegetarian. I live in a place that is substantially vegetarian with a significant proportion of veganism (no dairy, no eggs etc.). Every bakery has eggless items on sale here. Vegetarianism and veganism are on the rise in the West, driven by health, environmental, and ethical reasons. On the other hand, meat eating increases as populations get better off, notably in China.
    Veganism is a fad amongst a certain type of the population, it's certainly not a significant portion of the population, no where near it!
    Just to note, Alex_V’s message says they “live in a place that is substantially vegetarian.” They aren’t claiming that the population in general is vegetarian/vegan. It also certainly isn’t a fad considering that a portion of the population has been vegetarian for thousands of years. 
    robin huberAlex_V
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,401member
    Apple should just admit they erred, say they found a more environmentally friendly way to manufacture leather goods (maybe with recycled leather) and bring back leather cases. Please, before I update my phone this year.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    jvm156jvm156 Posts: 28member
    Meh.

3rd party leather cases are cheaper and better.  And Apple doesn't even make a belt case, which makes no sense.
    Didn’t belt cases die with flip phones?
    M68000
  • Reply 30 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    Alex_V said:

That’s fine - you can have your crappy vegan case. I’ll enjoy my nice, durable leather case. 
  • Reply 31 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    jvm156 said:
    Meh.

3rd party leather cases are cheaper and better.  And Apple doesn't even make a belt case, which makes no sense.
    Didn’t belt cases die with flip phones?
    Yes, they did - don’t tell boomer that, though! 😛
    M68000
  • Reply 32 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,039member
    Great! Fiewoven is a scam. Give us leather. 
    It’s not a scam. It’s protected my phone just fine and I don’t need to worry about protecting the protector! 

You’re free to get leather anywhere you want. Apple is free not to make them. Everybody wins. 
    Spitbathmattinozmuthuk_vanalingamAlex_V
  • Reply 33 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,039member
    mac'em x said:
    M68000 said:
    There is a school of thought that says cellphones should kept away from the body as much as possible. 
    True. And there are "schools of thought" that say vaccines contain 5G chips, and government leaders have been replaced by reptile people, and the Denver International Airport is the headquarters of the Illuminati.
    It’s not really conspiracy - as we learned in the french phone radiation story, Apple lowers cell power levels when it believes it’s in your pocket. 
    M68000
  • Reply 34 of 38
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,008member
    Alex_V said:

interesting. Didn’t know. But it’s nice to have my point reiterated. 

So what if an industry touts the benefits of their products - especially used in an efficient, respectful manner that is actually desireable. 

You sound like the EU: “something making sense must be wrong.” LOL

and leather is definitely a byproduct. 

That meat isn’t going to waste. Come on msn. Yet harder. 

Beef is what’s for dinner. And there is enough of it consumed in America alone to provide leather the world over. Add china, Russia, Australia, Germany, France, Ireland, and on and on. Shame to let that much leather go to waste for no reason. 
    edited April 22
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Alex_V said:

So what if an industry touts the benefits of their products - especially used in an efficient, respectful manner that is actually desireable. 

Beef is what’s for dinner. And there is enough of it consumed in America alone to provide leather the world over. Add china, Russia, Australia, Germany, France, Ireland, and on and on. Shame to let that much leather go to waste for no reason. 
    The logical fallacy you are currently championing is referred to as the False Dichotomy Fallacy. You are presenting this as an either/or situation when it isn't. There are other uses for animal hide than leather. That isn't accurate, not by a long shot.  In fact most hides are not used for leather, they are used for other things. Further, as pointed out elsewhere in the thread, that actually tanning process is an ecological nightmare.  So it won't go to waste and it will be used in a more environmentally friendly way. 

Leather has been in decline for awhile, Apple is just meeting their customers where they are at.  Move on. 

muthuk_vanalingamAlex_V9secondkox2
  • Reply 36 of 38
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    While I have a fine woven case, and it’s not terrible at all (and easily washable to bring back a much more uniform color), my next case will be leather. I much preferred the feel and natural patina of a leather case, and if the posted “evaluation” has reasonable merit, there is questionable benefit to fine woven from an environmental perspective considering its contents and post-use recyclability.

Not that I get overly caught up with all that. I just want a case that feels proper in my hand, and the current fine woven case is rather slippery because of the edge finish compared to leather, 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 37 of 38
    HrebHreb Posts: 87member
    Time for a fire sale on FineWoven accessories?  I would totally take a FineWoven Magnetic Link watch band if they were $10 instead of $100.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,008member
    Alex_V said:

The logical fallacy you are currently championing is referred to as the False Dichotomy Fallacy. You are presenting this as an either/or situation when it isn't. There are other uses for animal hide than leather. That isn't accurate, not by a long shot.  In fact most hides are not used for leather, they are used for other things. Further, as pointed out elsewhere in the thread, that actually tanning process is an ecological nightmare.  So it won't go to waste and it will be used in a more environmentally friendly way. 

Leather has been in decline for awhile, Apple is just meeting their customers where they are at.  Move on. 

Rigamarole. 
    That would be interesting if true, but you’re just plainly incorrect. There is no false dichotomy. It’s a fact. Leather and beef both come from the same place. If you utilize one and throw away the other, that’s waste. If you utilize both, that’s efficiency. And it satisfies the three criteria I laid out in my original post. 

You may not like leather. That’s ok. There are plenty who appreciate the look, durability, and long-lasting nature of it. 

There are some other uses for cowhide, but nothing on the scale of leather. 

Leather isn’t going anywhere outside of an artificial push by some factions. Apple wasn’t meeting people where they are, apple is trying to force something. Hence the backlash. 

Leather jackets, chairs, couches, vehicle interiors, wallets, phone cases, watch bands, tablet covers, backpacks, etc. there is an always will be a healthy market. Better to use a beef byproduct than let it go to waste - especially when it results in superior quality products. Win-win. 
    edited April 24