Some users are randomly getting locked out of their Apple ID accounts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    stuke said:
    Yep, it hit me.  What a pain in the a$$ it was to "break into" the reset when you have many devices (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.) on your Apple ID.  Took about 15 minutes to run around, collect everything and get a password reset in place.  It will takes days before everything else that is linked to the Apple ID gets my attention for "updating your Apple ID" settings.  Personally, I believe it was a forced security update by Apple to make us update our Apple ID passwords.  (Yes, mine has been the same for quite some time.)  It would be better, if my theory holds, that Apple provide a procedure for doing this all at once for all your devices!
    It happened to me yesterday when I woke up. This was about 6:30 am CEDT or just after midnight EDT (Friday night to Saturday morning). I woke up with a prompt on my Watch to re-enter my password. This was annoying since this setting seems to override my sleep mode. After trying 3 times to input my password correctly on the keyboard for my Ultra, I gave up without ever actually hitting enter (my confidence that I’d entered it correctly was low) and decided to use the keyboard from my phone to the watch.
    When I took it off the charger, it was showing the same prompt. I decided to reenter the password for the account prompt on the iPhone first and immediately after it asked me for my device PIN. After that it gave me a message that said my account was locked (very scary at a blurry eyed 6:40) and I had to create a new password to unlock. After that I had to scurry around the house to every device (3 AppleTVs, iPad, iMac, etc.) to enter this new password.
    I told my wife when she got up later that I’d apparently been attacked. She never got any prompts and neither did the kids which reinforced the idea that I’d been targeted. Only this morning did I see this article. I’m much happier now that it seems this was not an attack after all. Thanks for the timely report AI! I should not have skipped a day reading yesterday. 🤣 If this was indeed a purposeful security measure from Apple (password add out, dark web dumps, etc.) more info in the security prompts would have been appreciated.
    edited April 28 Alex1N
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Cost me half a day yesterday in the middle of an edit.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I must admit, I am so relieved to read this article!! Thought it was only me. Thought I was getting hacked. It first occurred Thursday night then again Friday. I kept getting notifications to enter my AppleID pw. Started to get suspicious of the behavior.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 24 of 28
    I have not had to reset my password, but I am unable to successfully activate an iPad to my iCloud account.  I have tried four times over the last day and a half with no luck, it seems to hang when syncing with iCloud, and if I interrupt it but turning it off and back on, most of the iCloud stuff is not connected.  There seems to be a serious problem with iCloud authentication.  My iPhone and Mac both work fine, however.  I suspect that if I logged out of iCloud on either of those devices, I would not be able to log back in.
    edited April 28
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Same here. 7:30pm Friday night. On the phone with Apple for 3 hours… started with Messages , then proceeded to shut my Mac and iPhone accounts….resetting my password would not work. 

Message came up and read “you already have an iCloud password.” Very strange and unsettling. Certainly seemed like an attack, albeit with no emails from Apple concerning password attempts or changes. 
    edited April 28 Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Yep, me too. Had 2factor on. Called Apple and they assured it was not an attack. Tech had no explanation except “someone” tried logging in and failing on my account. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I had a issue around this earlier in the year. They were going to take away my @mac.com email address that I had since day one and force me to just have @icloud.com. I was like over my dead body. Fortunately it got resolved. But yeah they made me reset my password 3 times. The issue went all the way up to Apple Engineering. The thing that I didn’t realize is that it made signing into my old Apple devices that don’t natively support Apple’s 2fa a pain in the butt. If anyone has issues with getting back into their old Apple TV 2nd generation, don’t use iCloud to sign in, you have to sign in separately for just your iTunes account as the rest of the features like Photostream are discontinued. 
    edited April 29 Alex1Ndewme