Menu bar pull down problem with mouse

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've noticed a problem with the pull down menus on the menu bar.

Normally, all I have to do is click once on one of the pull downs such as File or Edit, and the pull down menu will stay down after I unclick and I can move the mouse around to the item I want and then click on it. Now, the pull down menu will only stay down as long as I hold the mouse down. As soon as I let up on the mouse, the pull down goes away. I have to keep the mouse clicked until I get to the item I want and then when I unclick the mouse, the action executes. This is very annoying. Any help on how I can fix this issue?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I've had this happen to me on my M$ mouse. What mouse are you using, just curious?

Sleeping the computer or restarting seems to fix it for me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm using the Apple Pro mouse that came with the computer. After I click on the menu bar about 20 times, it will finally stay pulled down like it's supposed to.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I've had mice that send a 'click' signal when you press down on the button (like it should), and when you lift up on the button. This can cause some strange side effects, like what you are experiencing here. Does this manifest itself anywhere else? You should be able to tell by click and dragging to another place where you will notice the extra click.

Just my $.02.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I shut down the computer and restarted it and the problem went away. It must be something that gets honked up over time that only a restart will cure.