Apple's new Photos app will utilize generative AI for image editing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    ctt_zhctt_zh Posts: 83member
    gatorguy said:
    I disagree.

Magic Editor seems to be using what you describe as Generative AI in Apple's Mac Photo Clean-up feature.
    https://pixel.withgoogle.com/Pixel_8_Pro/use-magic-editor?hl=en&country=US ;

What we agree on is that words matter. Generative AI works by utilizing an ML model to learn the patterns and relationships in a dataset of human-created content. GenAI then uses those patterns learned to generate new content. So are Clean-up on a Mac and Magic Editor on an Android smartphone both using simple machine learning or Generative AI?  
    I'm not sure what linking to Google's Pixel page does. Nothing in here explains the tech. It's a tutorial website.

You're just mixing terms together. They have distinct meanings. Generative AI doesn't work by using an ML model. That's a contradictory statement.

Generative AI does use an ML model.

Magic Editor on Android functions similar to existing repair tools in many photo editing apps, even ones on iPhone. There's nothing special about it other than it being Google software with a big data set available for the ML decision tree.

Magic Editor uses Generative AI. 

These terms are important and have meaning on their own, despite how much google tries to unify them all under the AI umbrella to disguise what is what. It provides google a competitive advantage because people that don't know better will think "Oh, Google does that already and Apple is behind" hence this conversation. Google's marketing worked.

It's more than reasonable to state that Google is ahead of Apple at this time in terms of AI, it certainly isn't down to marketing.     
  • Reply 22 of 27
    ctt_zhctt_zh Posts: 83member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    It most surely does. It learns from it and then builds on it.
    https://news.mit.edu/2023/explained-generative-ai-1109

Magic Editor uses Generative AI just as surely or not as Clean Up does based on what your wrote:
    Quote:" With Clean Up, users will be able to select an area of a photo via a brush tool and remove specific objects from an image. In internal versions of the app, testers can also adjust the brush size to allow for easier removal of smaller or larger objects." And that differs from Magic Editor in what way?   
    I didn't write this one. But you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what's happening here...
    Even Google says it's an ML tool on its original press release. They just changed it to AI last year to fit in with the times. How that tool works didn't change. On Google's page describing the feature it says that not all objects can be selected. That wouldn't be the case if it were generative AI.
    Google said on the Day-one announcement of it that Magic Editor uses Generative AI.
    https://blog.google/products/photos/google-photos-magic-editor-pixel-io-2023/

As for why certain things can't be selected, it's not because it's not using GenAI:
    Google Photos' Magic Editor may not be able to select all objects because it won't be allowed to edit certain types of or elements in photos, such as ID cards, receipts, and other documents that violate Google's GenAI terms. Magic Editor also can't edit faces, parts of people, or large selections. When a user tries to edit one of these items, an error message will appear.

We can wait to see what Apple builds into this year's iPhone for on-device photo editing. You say it will be GenAI-driven, and thus it will do more than Magic Editor can. We can come back in a few months and revisit it. I'll let it rest until Apple actually announces something.  
    The thing you linked is from Google announcing Magic Eraser again in 2023. It originally launched in 2021, where they called it ML before AI was the cool term.

https://blog.google/products/photos/magic-eraser/

It's not generative AI. I don't know why you're so caught up on this but you do you. Google's marketing convinced you really well I guess.

i'm interested in seeing what it does too. But I don't really care who does what better. The point of this conversation is that words have meaning and Google calls things AI even when it's ML. It's so bad Apple had to start doing it in its press so it didn't appear behind to idiots who didn't know better.
    Aha, I think the confusion comes from the fact that whilst the conversation has been about Magic Editor (this is what Gatorguy has been solely talking about), you here are now referring to Magic Eraser... 2 completely different products....

as I see Gatorguy mentioned in post 19...

"I think you've been confusing things with the old Magic Eraser from the Pixel 6 which wasn't using Google's GenAI."
    edited May 7 gatorguy
  • Reply 23 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    It most surely does. It learns from it and then builds on it.
    https://news.mit.edu/2023/explained-generative-ai-1109

Magic Editor uses Generative AI just as surely or not as Clean Up does based on what your wrote:
    Quote:" With Clean Up, users will be able to select an area of a photo via a brush tool and remove specific objects from an image. In internal versions of the app, testers can also adjust the brush size to allow for easier removal of smaller or larger objects." And that differs from Magic Editor in what way?   
    I didn't write this one. But you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what's happening here...
    Even Google says it's an ML tool on its original press release. They just changed it to AI last year to fit in with the times. How that tool works didn't change. On Google's page describing the feature it says that not all objects can be selected. That wouldn't be the case if it were generative AI.
    Google said on the Day-one announcement of it that Magic Editor uses Generative AI.
    https://blog.google/products/photos/google-photos-magic-editor-pixel-io-2023/

As for why certain things can't be selected, it's not because it's not using GenAI:
    Google Photos' Magic Editor may not be able to select all objects because it won't be allowed to edit certain types of or elements in photos, such as ID cards, receipts, and other documents that violate Google's GenAI terms. Magic Editor also can't edit faces, parts of people, or large selections. When a user tries to edit one of these items, an error message will appear.

We can wait to see what Apple builds into this year's iPhone for on-device photo editing. You say it will be GenAI-driven, and thus it will do more than Magic Editor can. We can come back in a few months and revisit it. I'll let it rest until Apple actually announces something.  
    The thing you linked is from Google announcing Magic Eraser again in 2023. It originally launched in 2021, where they called it ML before AI was the cool term.

https://blog.google/products/photos/magic-eraser/

It's not generative AI. I don't know why you're so caught up on this but you do you. Google's marketing convinced you really well I guess.

i'm interested in seeing what it does too. But I don't really care who does what better. The point of this conversation is that words have meaning and Google calls things AI even when it's ML. It's so bad Apple had to start doing it in its press so it didn't appear behind to idiots who didn't know better.
    Please read what you just wrote again. Maybe we misunderstood what each of us was talking about.
    Did you not see you were looking at Magic Eraser from the Pixel 6?

Magic Editor, a new set of tools introduced with the Pixel 8 series and the "thing I linked", uses GenAI trained in part on the Magic Eraser's ML data, and vastly expands what it can now, and how well it can do it. That's why it's not a relaunch of the one-trick pony Magic Eraser being announced again. 

As I said in my previous post, wouldn't you rather wait to see what Apple actually announces for photo-editing on the new iPhones, and what they call it? 
    edited May 7
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    gatorguy said:
    Please read what you just wrote again. Maybe we misunderstood what each of us was talking about.
    Did you not see you were looking at Magic Eraser from the Pixel 6?

Magic Editor, a new set of tools introduced with the Pixel 8 series and the "thing I linked", uses GenAI trained in part on the Magic Eraser's ML data, and vastly expands what it can now, and how well it can do it. That's why it's not a relaunch of the one-trick pony Magic Eraser being announced again. 

As I said in my previous post, wouldn't you rather wait to see what Apple actually announces for photo-editing on the new iPhones, and what they call it? 
    I do see what happened. Yes we were talking about two different things. Magic Editor is clearly based on generative AI while Magic Eraser was an ML based tool.

I suppose I was confused because the article is about a single feature in Apple Photos and not an editing suite like Magic Editor. I was trying to compare Apples to Apples, but I see why you brought it up. It utilizes what Google learned from people using Magic Eraser to teach the AI editor.

I expect Apple's new editing tools will be similar to Magic Editor's object removal function, though it'll be much more private than Google's. I'm not sure why anyone entrusts their photos to that company but here we are.

how good it will be is still a question. Google software is hard to beat, especially since they disregard user privacy in favor of more optimized tools.

i agree, I'm interested in seeing what Apple does during WWDC. It seems Google marketing confused me instead. All these "Magic" tools lol.

all that said, going back to the original discussion, I think name space pollution and calling everything AI is disingenuous and just sucks. I hate the industry went this route.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    More interesting: Google Magic Editor tools are being released widely on May 15. Will be interesting to see how these do outside of the 20 Pixel 8 users.

• Reply 26 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    More interesting: Google Magic Editor tools are being released widely on May 15. Will be interesting to see how these do outside of the 20 Pixel 8 users.

;)
  • Reply 27 of 27
    jellyapplejellyapple Posts: 116member
    A lot of basic features, e.g. hiding photos in multiple albums and have Albums in Shared Photos Library, are more important than so-called “AI”.