Apple's 'Crush' iPad Pro ad sparks intense backlash from creatives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,525member
    I found the ad to be a bit psychopathic. I can see why that’s appealing to some people — like psychopaths— but for people who don’t enjoy drowning puppies, it’s off putting. I guess Apple will have to consider whether they want to go after the psychopath market or the normal people market. 
    fred1petriAI_lias
  • Reply 22 of 96
    Ultimately, it's a sales concept that doesn't work that well. Having all the real world representations of the different functions/uses of the iPad Pro being broken and destroyed just naturally lends itself to negative interpretations. The concept of the hydraulic press creating a thinner iPad Pro isn't really interesting enough to overcome that. 
    blastdoornewisneverenoughretrogusto
  • Reply 23 of 96
    torb9htorb9h Posts: 15member
    these people need to get a life. I don’t know how they have the energy to wake up and choose to be offended by something so trivial
    lotonesavon b7sloth77omasouwatto_cobraAfarstar
  • Reply 24 of 96
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 780member
    jdw said:
    Silly reactions like that only make me think creatives are a bunch of crybaby wimps.  Chin up and be a man!  It's an ad made for shock value.  If anything, it worked by waking sleeping people up and capturing their attention.  Capturing attention is the aim of any great ad.  It clearly succeeded.  But had it been something more soothing to fondle the delicate sensibilities of those ever complaining creatives, it probably would have only worked to put them all to sleep.  And people would have then complained that Apple isn't exciting enough.  In the end, the moral is clear.  PEOPLE NEED TO ZIP THE LIP AND STOP COMPLAINING!  That alone would make this world a vastly better place.
    Whines the guy who is so thin skinned about any criticism of Apple. Should take his own advice and ZIP THE LIP AND STOP COMPLAINING! 
    blastdoorwilliamlondonAI_lias
  • Reply 25 of 96
    lotoneslotones Posts: 93member
    Most of these people who are so sensitive about inanimate CGI objects being CGI crushed will most likely step over the next homeless person they see on their way to Starbucks.

Time to move on to the next source of faux outrage.
    avon b7dtownwarriorMisterKitwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Good grief man, some people with be offended with anything.
    lotoneswatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 27 of 96
    riverkoriverko Posts: 241member
    That kind of reminds me one affair not a long time ago at the University of Arts here in CZ. Students complained that they have received critiques from their tutor over what they have created… i wonder how they want to live as artists if they are not ready for a feedback… 
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 28 of 96
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,269member
    Ha..Ha..Ha....
  • Reply 29 of 96
    sloth77sloth77 Posts: 37member
    Christ, these people need to get over themselves.

God help them if they encounter anything truly "distasteful" in life!
    watto_cobraradarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 96
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 135member
    I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I anticipated the iPad would emerge after the crush. I took it as Apple’s suggestion that much of the work achieved using those tools could be done on the iPad. It’s a promotion of the device’s capabilities, nothing more. Not unreasonable to expect this kind of ad.
    thttmayomasouradarthekatAfarstarwilliamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 96
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    I of course immediately understood the ad's symbolic message: all this creative potential has been packed into this new iPad. I was still very upset to see the guitar and piano – and all the dedication and craftsmanship that making them required – destroyed for a gimmick message that could have been expressed without the destruction. As a music performer, seeing those instruments crushed was kind of horrifying. Kind of a tone-deaf concept, especially for a company that prides itself on dedication and craftsmanship.
    edited May 8 lkallianceradarthekatretrogusto
  • Reply 32 of 96
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,136member
    blastdoor said:
    I found the ad to be a bit psychopathic. I can see why that’s appealing to some people — like psychopaths— but for people who don’t enjoy drowning puppies, it’s off putting. I guess Apple will have to consider whether they want to go after the psychopath market or the normal people market. 
    Seriously. It’s a simple cartoon metaphor for ‘look at all the stuff we squeezed into this wafer thin iPad.’ It’s no more psychopathic than a Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote cartoon. 
    edited May 8 thtavon b7MisterKitwatto_cobraradarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 96
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,321member
    I think it's a great ad, since it beautifully expressed the message... the thin and light iPad encompasses all of those items.

Shouldn't we be appreciative that Apple is moving us away from a super wasteful world?

Now imagine if there were people playing those instruments when the press came down....
    edited May 8 watto_cobraradarthekatAfarstar
  • Reply 34 of 96
    cjcampbellcjcampbell Posts: 116member
    I thought it was hilarious and to the point. If it upset anyone, they probably needed the rude awakeining. 
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 35 of 96
    omasouomasou Posts: 612member
    cincytee said:
    I of course immediately understood the ad's symbolic message: all this creative potential has been packed into this new iPad. I was still very upset to see the guitar and piano – and all the dedication and craftsmanship that making them required – destroyed for a gimmick message that could have been expressed without the destruction. As a music performer, seeing those instruments crushed was kind of horrifying. Kind of a tone-deaf concept, especially for a company that prides itself on dedication and craftsmanship.
    Not like they crushed Martin or Les Paul and a Steinway.

Heck who even knows if any of those things were real or CGI.

The only dedication and craftsmanship used in creating the items was by the prop and/or CGI departments. They must have done a wonderful job in making them look so real that people actually were able to be offended.

Folks need to get a life.
    edited May 8 watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 36 of 96
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    gatorguy said:
    I agree, the reactions are a bit over-the-top.

At the same time, it's a horrible, bordering on disconcerting and unpleasant, iPad promotional ad IMHO.  I believe Apple will be pulling it from their official ad campaign in short order. It doesn't help make the product appealing or engaging.

That's kinda where I landed, though not even as negatively as that. It's just an ad and not a big deal.  Still, I did wince a couple of times as I watched the (fictional) destruction of a few of the things I had some personal attachment to - the musical instruments, the classic arcade console, maybe the camera lenses...  but I lol'ed at the bug-eyed squeeze ball at the end.  (It was a squeeze ball - getting squished is what they're for.)

I kinda figure my reaction was probably exactly what they were aiming for.  A little nostalgia/discomfort to make the ad stick, alongside a little humor.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 37 of 96
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    omasou said:
    cincytee said:
    Not like the crushed Martin or Les Paul and a Steinway.

Heck who even knows if any of those things were real or CGI.

The only dedication and craftsmanship used in creating the items was by the prop and/or CGI departments. They must have done a wonderful job in making them look so real that people actually were able to be offended.

Folks need to get a life.
    I'm voting for practical effects using real objects. My thought upon watching it was where they found a crusher like that, and, "huh, those monitors managed to continue displaying."

There is undoubtedly some CGI and coloring and stuff, but the heart of it was using real objects.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 38 of 96
    BirderGuyBirderGuy Posts: 31member
    Lighten up artists.  It was not your kit that was destroyed. It was a cartoon.  For people like me who could never do art with paint and brushes, the idea that I could create with iPad is inspiring. The art community needs to get over itself.  It’s just an a silly ad. And I bet many of the complainers will happily create on the iPad considering the cost involved in buying art supplies.  I left York University after one year because I couldn’t stand the elitism and pretentiousness of the “artists.”
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 39 of 96
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 623member
    I found it a bit of a shock but thought it was excellent. I don’t like pianos getting crushed (unless it was CGI or so out of tune and broken it couldn’t be sensibly repaired) the the idea that it meant that the iPad could REPLACE all these things never crossed my mind. I saw it as the iPad being a tool that contained many of the creative possibilities of all the things that “went into making it”.

The face at the end was slightly “eewww” but funny too.

The amount of (perfectly good) food thrown away every day is FAR more of a real problem, so get some perspective I’d say.
    edited May 8 thtwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 40 of 96
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,470member
    One article compared it to the auto da fe.