Apple's 'Crush' iPad Pro ad sparks intense backlash from creatives

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,473member
    Pixar could turn this premise into a movie with Tim Cook playing a Judge Doom type of villain.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 42 of 96
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,417member
    jdw said:
    Silly reactions like that only make me think creatives are a bunch of crybaby wimps.  Chin up and be a man!  It's an ad made for shock value.  If anything, it worked by waking sleeping people up and capturing their attention.  Capturing attention is the aim of any great ad.  It clearly succeeded.  But had it been something more soothing to fondle the delicate sensibilities of those ever complaining creatives, it probably would have only worked to put them all to sleep.  And people would have then complained that Apple isn't exciting enough.  In the end, the moral is clear.  PEOPLE NEED TO ZIP THE LIP AND STOP COMPLAINING!  That alone would make this world a vastly better place.
    The cognitive disconnect that it takes to write a post complaining about people complaining is astounding. 
    But interestingly, you complained about my complaint, and here we are.  You did nothing to stop the cycle.  And now I am complaining about you.  That is why I spoke truth.  Complaining is a disease like cancer that is hard to kill.  But it should nevertheless be our goal to at least try.  My post makes a step toward that.  Yours does not.  So there is the most glaring disconnect of all.
    unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 96
    lkalliancelkalliance Posts: 12member
    I understand the complaints. It's not about the actual destruction of the objects; that it's CGI is immaterial. The symbolism is at question: the replacement of traditional analog tools used by creatives with the iPad. It's not just, "You have a choice, this is as good as what it's replacing," but "The time is over for these tools. They are being replaced entirely." I get the existential crisis that message could trigger.
    illofloraretrogusto
  • Reply 44 of 96
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,730member
    I don’t get that at all.   I get “you need all of these things to do what an iPad can do”.   It’s like “An internet browser, a music player, a communication device, a camera, a tape recorder, a video camera, etc… all in one device,  Introducing iPhone.”

If one of offended by this commercial knowing it’s CGI, then one is offended at the idea of the iPad replacing them.   That’s their prerogative.  I can agree with that, but I don’t have to like it. 
    edited May 8 watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 45 of 96
    ralphburalphbu Posts: 17member
    Horrible ad, I hope they bury it ASAP. Totally the wrong image for Apple - destroys all the tools creative people use and love? Good god, pompous as hell too!
    illofloragrandact73williamlondonAI_lias
  • Reply 46 of 96
    danuffdanuff Posts: 34member
    Oh give me a break. I thought it was funny and inventive. What are we raising a bunch of woke wimps?
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 47 of 96
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,026member
    People are psycho sometimes. 

Great ad. 

The crusher was supposed to be extreme. But not truly destructive. It was more an almslg of all these creative/educational/recreational things into one product. It nailed the message. 

If these softies can’t handle this, I’d hate to see them during a Michael Bay, James Cameron, frankenheimer, Nolan, Snyder, etc. movie. 
    edited May 8 unbeliever2watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 48 of 96
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 510member
    Next thing you know there will be a class action lawsuit against Apple.
    9secondkox2radarthekat
  • Reply 49 of 96
    I love using my iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. However, I thought, and perhaps more importantly felt, that the ad was repulsive. 
    9secondkox2illofloraAI_lias
  • Reply 50 of 96
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    It’s a conceptual message, not an attack on anyone’s creative process or disrespect for legacy creative tools or equipment.  The obvious implication is that the iPad Pro incorporates all that historic goodness.  I guess we’ll be seeing plenty of revenge “Will It Blend?” YouTube videos featuring the new iPad Pro.  Or maybe people could just lighten up.  
    Or maybe people don’t have to like something that Apple created. This was done in poor taste. 

The form and the function is always one.

An iPad is just a tablet. It’s not a music making instrument — it’s not a drawing tool, and so on. It can emulate such features but it will never have the ideal form of any of them.

It takes you further and further away from humanity.
    9secondkox2michelb76illofloraretrogustowilliamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 96
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 651member
    That’s the most uninspired Apple advertisement I have ever seen. Where’s the normal Apple wit? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 96
    longfanglongfang Posts: 513member
    Have people really run out of things to complain about?
    watto_cobradewmedanox
  • Reply 53 of 96
    Can you imagine if this generation of easily offended people had seen rock stars smashing their guitars on stage after a good session? They would have called the police on them, they are the same censors who called the police on Jim Morrison and many other artists… this generation is dangerous.
    watto_cobraradarthekatdanox
  • Reply 54 of 96
    JackGleeJackGlee Posts: 2member
    well done, Tor!
  • Reply 55 of 96
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 985member
    It's the biggest company in the world crushing all opposition.  Apple's entitled to do that of course, so long as they don't break any laws, but it's certainly distasteful to be so egregious about it.  There's a thing called modesty you know.  It's not surprising to me that many Japanese find it so unsavoury.  British culture too doesn't warm to this kind of advertising.  It may work for US (and Chinese) audiences, but Apple is a global company, selling globally, and they posted it online where everyone can access it.

In that sense, the advert is a fail in my view.  Old doesn't necessarily mean bad, and an iPad can certainly be used *alongside* objects like those pictured, without having to crush, destroy and replace them.  It's out of touch.
    illoflorawilliamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 96
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 985member
    You know, disagreeing with something or saying it's bad or a poor choice (which are the majority of negative responses I've seen) doesn't necessarily mean being offended.  I thought that was fairly obvious, but apparently not based on the comments in this thread.  I wouldn't be so quick to judge an entire generation.  It's also a big generalisation.  Maybe your experience is limited.  Certainly what is shown on TV and how younger people are often portrayed in media can give that impression, but unfairly in my opinion.  It might reflect more on who is producing and hosting the media than this so-called generation itself.

Can you imagine if this generation of easily offended people had seen rock stars smashing their guitars on stage after a good session? They would have called the police on them, they are the same censors who called the police on Jim Morrison and many other artists… this generation is dangerous.
    edited May 9 illoflorawilliamlondonAI_lias
  • Reply 57 of 96
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 681member
    The 'iPad' won't destroy creatives work, but the AI models and services it now unlocks surely will. That has been ongoing for a while of course, but Apple was supposedly the company to defend and stand with creatives.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 58 of 96
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 569member
    Nothing wrong with the ad and it doesn’t need to be removed. It is a well done CGI metaphor. Do you really think that Apple is going to actually destroy real objects with all their environmentalism? 
  • Reply 59 of 96
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    Silly reactions like that only make me think creatives are a bunch of crybaby wimps.  Chin up and be a man!  It's an ad made for shock value.  If anything, it worked by waking sleeping people up and capturing their attention.  Capturing attention is the aim of any great ad.  It clearly succeeded.  But had it been something more soothing to fondle the delicate sensibilities of those ever complaining creatives, it probably would have only worked to put them all to sleep.  And people would have then complained that Apple isn't exciting enough.  In the end, the moral is clear.  PEOPLE NEED TO ZIP THE LIP AND STOP COMPLAINING!  That alone would make this world a vastly better place.
    The cognitive disconnect that it takes to write a post complaining about people complaining is astounding. 
    But interestingly, you complained about my complaint, and here we are.  You did nothing to stop the cycle.  And now I am complaining about you.  That is why I spoke truth.  Complaining is a disease like cancer that is hard to kill.  But it should nevertheless be our goal to at least try.  My post makes a step toward that.  Yours does not.  So there is the most glaring disconnect of all.
    You did not just revert to being a child and go with the "I'm rubber, you're glue bounces off of me and sticks to you" defense? 

Any, this is a bit of a reading comprehension fail on your part. I didn't complain about anything, I just pointed out the disconnect. The reality is that I rather enjoyed your comment for its lack of self awareness and just being utterly ridiculous. Likewise your deflection and attempt to make your whining more high minded was equally ridiculous and entertaining..... seriously? You think your commentary here is on par with battling something cancer? .... Someone get JDW a trophy!!!

I know amusing isn't what you are really going for but keep up the excellent work!
  • Reply 60 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    This is one of the better takes I've come across:

"The advertisers intended to visualize “compression of value” (which would have been easy to do in a cool way) and instead showed “destruction of value” with a few boldly misguided choices (such as making everything go boom kill cry instead of melt blend joy).

On the plus side, kind of cool to get an opportunity for culture to talk about how a well-intended image released by a beloved company that typically communicates so responsibly went awry and said the completely wrong thing.

Advertising is so boring and safe, we rarely get to talk/think about things like this. And what will be the response to the backlash? An  statement that they truly do support the creative practices and traditions represented in the ad, and don’t want to kill and replace them with a computer? Good, I guess! Everything will be okay."

s.metcalf