Apple apologizes for iPad Pro 'Crush' ad after massive backlash

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    lotoneslotones Posts: 68member
    Makes me seriously wonder how people get through life when they're so easily offended by a simple CGI ad. I'd call them snowflakes, but snowflakes survive a fall of several thousand feet in freezing cold and hold their shape. Even they would laugh at these CGI phobics.
    baconstang
  • Reply 62 of 85
    It doesn't matter whether the objects were real or CGI or a mix of both. It's just a flawed concept for an advert. Breaking/destroying things isn't the best choice for communicating the idea of functionality. Broken/destroyed = non-functional. 
    nubusAI_liasBB92647ravnorodom
  • Reply 63 of 85
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    mattinoz said:
    Everything other than the PacMac machine could have been sourced from good will organisations having to reject donations due oversupply. 
    That doesn't make it any less sad.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 64 of 85
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    Xed said:
    I find the killing of puppies and murder wrong, but I didn't get upset when watching John Wick.
    While I don't think violent films or video games directly cause violence in the real world, I'm sure the simultaneous glorification and normalization of gruesome imagary in them numbs people to others' pain for entertainment purposes. It's not healthy. Not a big John Wick fan.
    baconstang
  • Reply 65 of 85
    The thing missing is the concurrence by the artists/musicians/etc. to have their instruments replaced by Apple's device. Why not an industrial-sized blender, artists/etc. drop their instrument/paint/etc. into the blender. At the end, they each walk away with an iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 85
    nubusnubus Posts: 465member
    In a band or orchestra you combine instruments for something even more amazing. Crushing things while doing an uninspired copy of the Sony Bravia ad…. it was so negative and disheartening.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 67 of 85
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    nubus said:
    In a band or orchestra you combine instruments for something even more amazing. Crushing things while doing an uninspired copy of the Sony Bravia ad…. it was so negative and disheartening.
    Now it's copied from a Sony Bravia ad? Did this come before the LG ad that Apple copied from? Link?
  • Reply 68 of 85
    debonbondebonbon Posts: 9member
    sunman42 said:
    They are going to replace it with an ad where they kill Bambi.
     Bambi vs. Godzilla, one of the best animated movies ever.
    Don't forget Gamera, because Gamera is friend to children!
    Gamera is my boyfriend.
    lotones
  • Reply 69 of 85
    Xed said:
    nubus said:
    Now it's copied from a Sony Bravia ad? Did this come before the LG ad that Apple copied from? Link?
    Zed - you’re way better than this. But here you go:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5tLqb8T5xU

The Sony ad was done without CGI!  Apple shouldn’t crush or do negative stuff. Mac vs. PC had a heart. This one doesn’t.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 70 of 85
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,122member
    This is a great ad that conveys exactly what it's supposed to.  Apple is silly and weak to apologize for this ad.  So much for courage.  The Twitter mob making an unnecessary big deal over this ad need to get a life.
    With this much backlash, it must be waaay too close to the truth.
  • Reply 71 of 85
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,217member
    Marketing genius, 
    the added attracted attention from a wider audience than otherwise and more people know about the new iPads.
    the “controversy” attracted even more attention and even more people got to hear about the new iPads
    The apology generated more attention and meant people still talked about the new iPads.
    instead of a one day bulletin point in the media, people are still talking about the new ipads
    Honestly, it’s like Apple marketing kicked off this strategy with a carefully planted earworm with the right people..

edited May 10 zeus423
  • Reply 72 of 85
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,520member
    There are frequently ads out there that are in bad taste, miss the mark, are way too entertaining, or make light of a condition that some people think should command a little more compassion. For example, Pepto Bismol ads show people dancing around when the issue at hand is diarrhea. I bet the people who put together the "Crush" ad for Apple are now suffering similar symptoms and are in no mood to dance. 

The bottom line comes down to intent. Did Apple intend to insult, denigrate, negatively trigger, or in any way at all incite a negative reaction from any of its customers? Hell no. The triggered blowback from those who were "offended" was totally created, nurtured, and victim-mob inflated by those who consciously decided that they would choose to be offended. If you are no longer or not yet back in diapers, life will always present you with challenges and situations that come from all sides, things totally out of your control, things you could not see coming, other people's opinions, other people's mistakes, and all kinds of crap, both good and bad. It is always your conscious decision to decide how you will react, even if the action was truly intended to offend or trigger you. Stay tuned for a steady stream of triggering ads over the next six months. 

There was zero ill or evil intent from Apple on this one. They were trying to be clever and creative to convey what they thought was an interesting way to describe the "everything creative" aspect of the latest iPad Pro. In retrospect they whiffed, at least with some folks. Those seeking to publicly shame Apple for making what they decided was an offensive ad are on the wrong side of this issue. Apple may have made a stupid, illogical, or a really shitty ad that failed to deliver the message they thought it would, but there was never any intent by Apple to piss anyone off.

The PC-vs-Mac ads were clearly intended to elicit negative reactions from some viewers, and delight from others, but the "Crush" ad was completely innocuous. 
  • Reply 73 of 85
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 828member
    lotones said:
    Makes me seriously wonder how people get through life when they're so easily offended by a simple CGI ad. I'd call them snowflakes, but snowflakes survive a fall of several thousand feet in freezing cold and hold their shape. Even they would laugh at these CGI phobics.
    They are not offended; they just said it was in bad taste. 
  • Reply 74 of 85
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    nubus said:
    Xed said:
    nubus said:

The Sony ad was done without CGI!  Apple shouldn’t crush or do negative stuff. Mac vs. PC had a heart. This one doesn’t.
    Better than what? I don’t watch many commercials.
  • Reply 75 of 85
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 251member
    cincytee said:
    Xed said:
    Personally, I thought the ad was great and even after reading about several explanations as to why it's upsetting to some people, I don't get it.
    Here's my take: Working musicians like me are so careful to protect and respect our instruments. They're connected to us and fairly fragile (my century-old violin is at its root a wooden box that could be easily destroyed). Seeing those instruments crushed in this ad was upsetting – not traumatizing – and, more important, did not make me want to buy one of these iPads. There are other ways to get the same point across, like having these objects CGI-sucked into a circuit board. Good for Apple simply to admit this ad misfired and move on.

But you're fine with grounding up cows to make your burger.
    Yes, it tastes great. 
  • Reply 76 of 85
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 920member
    It's hilarious that some commenters see this as Apple caving in to "a few snowflakes" who can't take a joke. If you've followed Apple over the decades, you know that this has never been a company--under either Jobs or Cook--that responds easily or quickly to whatever the latest "outrage" is in the technosphere. Never. And I can't even remember the last time they issued a public apology for anything. They've endured all kinds of hardware "gates," both real and imagined, justified anger over working conditions at Foxconn, complaints over "disposable" products like AirPods, etc, etc. There is no tech company that's more of a lightning rod for criticism in the technosphere than Apple and they respond--if at all--on their own timetable, which is never quickly. So, considering its past track record, I'm sure it took a tsunami of complaints--probably from within the Infinite Loop campus, as well--to get Apple to respond almost immediately and decisively. Not just pulling the ad but publicly apologizing for it. So rare was this Apple response that it actually made the mainstream news headlines at many outlets. And I'm sure someone got their ass handed to them by Tim Cook, who does not suffer fools easily or at all. This was a business decision, pure and simple, and a smart, necessary one at that. 
    edited May 11 sflagelmuthuk_vanalingamAI_lias
  • Reply 77 of 85
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,421member
    I like how Tim Cook personally was promoting the ad on Twitter until the backlash and then he had someone else issue the apology.
    nubus
  • Reply 78 of 85
    Xed said:
    nubus said:
    Xed said:
    nubus said:

Better than what? I don’t watch many commercials.
    You add perspective and your posts here are worth reading. Turn on your AVP and check ads like Apple 1984, Nike Tag, and Budweiser "Clydesdale Respect".
    As for Apple doing such a negative advert and Cook promoting it... we should be happy that it got pulled. Wonder if Schiller stopped it. Must be someone that Cook listens to.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    BB92647BB92647 Posts: 7member
    BB92647 said:
    I’m actually one of the cringe “mob” that disliked the ad. As a musician, it broke my heart to see pianos and guitars splinter and get crushed under a metal slab.  Instead of celebrating these instruments for the infinite possibilities of creativity they can produce, it was just destroyed. Was jerryrigeverything pulling the lever? 
    I can’t speak for the other commentators here, but I also wince when I see YouTubers destroy perfectly fine hardware for clicks. That’s what this felt like. Would I have the same reaction is some vintage Ferrari was crushed? Probably not… I don’t care about cars at all. But that doesn’t mean I can’t see the value of the “art” of that object. 
    Long story short, I think apple did the right thing and didn’t wait for the groundswell to overshadow the new iPads.  
    All props and CGI. Pay closer attention. No real instruments were used.
    I’m unsure why that matters. It’s the message that it conveys. 

nubusAI_lias
  • Reply 80 of 85
    I loved it!
    paisleydiscodewme