Any "Law & Order" viewers/fans here?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious. I've only recently started watching it, then soon discovered (remember, I'm Captain Oblivious) that there are two other "Law & Order" offshoot programs as well ("Criminal Intent" and "Special Victims Unit").

I've been watching all three for just under a year now (and catching re-runs of the original series on one of those cable channels every now and then).

I like how these shows work. I dig the writing, the acting, the tone, etc. It's kinda like a cool mixture of "NYPD Blue" (the gritty New York setting and "vibe") and "CSI" because it often (particularly the "SVU" show) gets into forensics and lab work.

I think Vincent D'onfrio (I don't think that's the exact spelling) is great on the "Criminal Intent" show. He's just quirky and odd enough to be watchable.

And the woman on "SVU"? Well...

Plus, any show featuring Ice-T and Richard Belzer as cops and partners is just going to be good.

Anyone else watch any (or all) of these shows?

Favorite characters, episodes? Any cool background info a newcomer like me might appreciate or enjoy knowing?

The one thing I do like is that often an episode will seem to be written that sorta parallels a real-life case.

Oh, and Sam what's-his-name (the older guy who is a lawyer) is great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I started watching Law and Order when it got played in high school law class, so it wasn't long ago. I'm not a religious viewer, especially since my schedule was thrown off with my after-school job, but I enjoy the shows.

The names (just in case someone asks you on the street):

Mariska Hargitay (woman on SVU)

Vincent D'Onofrio

Sam Waterston
  • Reply 2 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I watch it all the time either on NBC or TNT. Somehow it's just what I want from TV. Yes, it's formulaic, sort of goes on automatic pilot, but it's interesting enough without trying to jerk me around, play me as a simpleton, try to "teach" me, or try to play my heartstrings. If I wanted anything like that I wouldn't watch TV for it. I imagine a lot of people find D'Onofrio's character annoying, but I like hima lot, and Sam Waterson. For some reason I like the "preachy" ones on the shows and I usually hate those characters.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i like SVU now much better than the rest. i liked the original Law and Order during the first series of cops they had. then they changed those up, and i still liked it through the next cops. shit, i can't remember a damn thing right now.

in any case, i don't like Law and Order anymore. i just feel like the trial phase has just become Jack shouting and people and badgering them into whatever he wants. it's just stupid tangents and crap he pulls. can't stand it.

guess i really stopped watching after they switched the D.A.

Jack's a jackass.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I've seen pretty much every episode.

I used to watch the orignal L&O series four times a day thanks to syndication.

But I can't say that I've watched it once since Angie Harmon left. It was bad enough when Crossing Jordan babe got killed.

In fact I stopped watching ER after they split open Lucy's rib cage on national television.

Oh how I long for the good old days...

• Reply 5 of 16
    True, the new DA in L&O has the personality of an end table, and they always seem to squeeze these "Perry Mason" confessions out of people on L&O and CI. Both Waterson and D'Onofrio dominate those shows, with their side kicks being of little value except as sounding boards. SVU is much more balanced in that sense. The L&O was great because it wasn't necessarily a 50/50 split of detectives and trials, and the "good guys" didn't always win. Had more of an arc plot to it as well, at least for several episodes at a time.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i like SVU now much better than the rest. i liked the original Law and Order during the first series of cops they had. then they changed those up, and i still liked it through the next cops. shit, i can't remember a damn thing right now.

in any case, i don't like Law and Order anymore. i just feel like the trial phase has just become Jack shouting and people and badgering them into whatever he wants. it's just stupid tangents and crap he pulls. can't stand it.

guess i really stopped watching after they switched the D.A.

Jack's a jackass.

Jack never loses any more, and it's never close. Do like the cops though, just went it goes to trial is when I turn it off, if I watch at all.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    The blonde chick is hot but she can't act. Nevertheless, in spite of that flaw I'd bang her.

Like all good shows that have been on for something like a decade, Law and Order is well past its heyday. Was a good show though.

Still, if I want to watch the glowing box for non-sports telecasts then reruns of Homicide: LOTS own my world.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

The blonde chick is hot but she can't act. Nevertheless, in spite of that flaw I'd bang her.

Like all good shows that have been on for something like a decade, Law and Order is well past its heyday. Was a good show though.

Still, if I want to watch the glowing box for non-sports telecasts then reruns of Homicide: LOTS own my world.

Don't know if I agree with the "past its heyday" argument when it's consistently a top-rated show and has spun off like four other shows. The cast just bugs me.

No Jill Hennesey?

No Cary Lowell-Gere?

No Angie Harmon?

Fred-Freaking-Thompson?

Just a bad cast this time out.

The good thing is that it's an ensemble show that doesn't need Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, Barney, Wilma, Lucy and Desi.

Just some hot babes that could act and a DA who was never in The Hunt for Red October is all I want.

Exceptions for everyone in that movie but Fred Thompson of course.

Even Gates McFadden could be a strong, good DA. Yeah she was the first Catherine Ryan.

And Wesley Crusher's MoM!!!

EDIT: Sam Waterston, and Jerry Orbach still rule!

Who cares about The Great Gatsby (sam), Dirty Dancing (jerry), and those Sam Waterston for the History Channel spots?

And S. Epatha Merkerson is great too.

I miss Benjamin Bratt and Chris Noth. aka Mr. Big Shot Talisa Soto (Licence to Kill BOND GIRL!) Marrying-Man and Mr. Big (sex and the city).

On to bigger and better things I suppse.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    NO INTEREST in the spin-offs...blech. And they need to do some retooling of the original...Sam wins too many cases.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Love all three...the chick on CI is hot. Oh, and it's WATERSTON...not waterson...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Just some hot babes that could act and a DA who was never in The Hunt for Red October is all I want.

Exceptions for everyone in that movie but Fred Thompson of course.

Methinks Shawn is mixing politics with his boob tube habits. What about Sean Connery as DA?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i really like the old shows, with the old lead guy, and the old d.a. and also, it would be interesting for them to lose more often. i like those l&o twists though. i try to catch the little slipups and lies the suspects tell. i dont much care for svu at all though. something about it irks me. i watched ci a few times, and its ok, but i dont like d'onfrio. i liked the syndication better when a&e put the really old eps on, and tnt had the mid-new ones. then i could get my full dosage of l&o.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Methinks Shawn is mixing politics with his boob tube habits. What about Sean Connery as DA?

"I'll take THE RAPISTS for 200, Alex!"

(calling torifile)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've always liked ol' Fred. One of those actors (like Gary Sinise or Bill Paxton, maybe) that never seems like he's "acting". Just talking and being himself. That's the impression I've always gotten.

We KNOW why you don't like him, Shawn. It's okay.

If Ted Kennedy ever goes into acting, we know he'll get massive props from you.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I've always liked ol' Fred. One of those actors (like Gary Sinise or Bill Paxton, maybe) that never seems like he's "acting". Just talking and being himself. That's the impression I've always gotten.

We KNOW why you don't like him, Shawn. It's okay.

If Ted Kennedy ever goes into acting, we know he'll get massive props from you.

Or J.lo!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I liked the original one, but that was when I was a TV bum.

My girlfriend's best friend (who is also my ex from high school) is the show's costume designer and her man is their accountant. She works on films and such too, (Royal Tannenbaums and Woddy Allen's new film, for example), but Law & Order is her steady job.

I joke to her that it seems like those costumes would be all dreary and boring, but she really likes to do the criminals and underworld characters. I guess sometimes the show is set in drug spots or clubs and that's when she can get creative.

But I don't watch that stuff anymore. It's too...dramatic.