I dont care that you dont care

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Ive noticed an annoying trend that has been growing lately on AI. Initial response to threads that amount to...

"I dont care about this thread so why does this thread exist" {read: wah, this thread is not about me or things I intimately care about. world, hear me whine}

In the future hardware thread, the discussion of the rotary mouse started off kinda like this or the panther screenshot thread to name a couple.

Why do people have to chime in that they have...

a) nothing to say (nothing is best represented by nothing, use it)

b) no opinion

c) no answer (often seen in genius bar, where at least it serves a purpose to keep the thread current. a beneficial side-effect)

It really feels like bitter backlash, but for the life of martha stewart I cant figure out why. Why would someone be bitter that other people want to discuss patent applications? Isn't that exactly what future hardware is all about? Especially when there has been nothing really exciting in FH for a dogs age.

I mean, its not even an IBL... At least I know why the guys here do that {something like they believe the percieved length of their dink is directly proportional to their post count}.

anyways, if there are any armchair psychologists out there maybe you can shed some light on this mystery of human behaviour.

or you can bitch about how useless this thread is

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    i'm just happy someone else noticed how much it sucks lately
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    i care because u do
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wtf, what a stupid thread, why does this even exist, its pointless?!

if u couldn't tell i agree with you
  • Reply 4 of 10
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    In Before... Late Night with Letterman

I totally agree, if you've got nothing to say, just move the hell on and get on with your life. Telling someone you have nothing to say achieves precisely nothing. Save the bandwidth, dude.

However, the pollution levels (in FH in particular) are getting quite horrendous, which I think is where some of this is coming from: there are so many threads which have absolutely nothing to do with each forum's stated purpose that some folk are guaranteed to get a tad peeved and vent a little.

Of course, this is not helped by folks who don't actually seem to bother reading the posting guidelines before applying finger to keyboard...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Telling someone you have nothing to say achieves precisely nothing.

Telling everyone they are all idiots discussing utter crap achieves something. It implies the following: "I am wise and experienced. I can tell clever people from dummies. For example, these are absolute morons if they can talk about how-s-that-daub-name Pekasso or somethin' instead of drinkin' beer and teasin' good titty girls".

Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

However, the pollution levels (in FH in particular) are getting quite horrendous, which I think is where some of this is coming from: there are so many threads which have absolutely nothing to do with each forum's stated purpose that some folk are guaranteed to get a tad peeved and vent a little.

Of course, this is not helped by folks who don't actually seem to bother reading the posting guidelines before applying finger to keyboard...

In Russia we call it democracy.\
  • Reply 6 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie

Why do people have to chime in that they have...

a) nothing to say (nothing is best represented by nothing, use it)

You see there is major logical/philosophical problem with this parenthetical remark.

Nothing cannot possibly be best represented by nothing. That is impossible. In mathematics we know this by the symbol 0 (zero).

Philosophically, nothing, while not substantive, cannot represent itself, since it is nothing, especially not by using nothing, it must, just as in mathematics, use something to represent itself. Actually, since it is nothing, it will not be able to represent itself, there is no "itself" -- we must represent the concept of nothing with something, it cannot be otherwise. Unless you want us to represent nothing, or to NOT represent our nothings. To omit reference and be silent.

Is that wise? I think not. Representing nothing is a key basic key of abstract thinking...

hey thanks, that's precisely the angle (ah-ha, I wrote Nagle instead of angle, oh phenomenology, good times) I needed for a little piece of a paper that is complete unrelated to Nagle or this thread, unlike this post which is about as close to nothing as one can get.

bye
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    You have to admit though that some posts are I guess, not stupid, but repetitive. Like asking which Powerbook has a backlit keyboard. All you need to do is go to apple.com to find out. No need starting a total thread on the issue.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=23489

Or at least browse previous threads for the answer to your question. If you have a new question on the same topic smply reply to the current thread.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    wth, i posted in this thread earlier and its not here now...and somone replied to my post and thats not here either!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

wth, i posted in this thread earlier and its not here now...and somone replied to my post and thats not here either!

You too!!! The same happend to me in some other thread. Matsu replied to the post, and his post also vanished.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Must be the Ghost Of Inflated Postcounts.

This thread would be better suited to the Suggestions forum... moving there now.