Apple Vision Pro sequel stalls as work on cheaper consumer headset continues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    No one cares about digital scuba gear outside of a niche group. 

Make it into a pair of sunglasses, sell at $999 and watch it y off the proverbial shelves. 
    Yes, because when Apple was making the Vision Pro they obviously could have made it a pair of sunglasses that cost 999 but just chose to go with the larger form factor with an external battery pack that cost more than 3 grand. 

If only they had you there to give your incredible insight. 
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 29
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 73member
    I find it hard to believe that Apple thought that this first version would sell like gangbusters. They MUST have people connected to the real world who realize a $3,500 toy is off limits to the majority of the population. So I take it they went the Mercedes route - knowing they would sell less (Than Ford), but still have a good idea of how many would sell. Now the bigger question is - does anyone care about goggle based VR? And having tried them out for many years, I suspect it's a really tough sell to the vast majority of people. And the device rather quickly becomes an afterthought.  But hey, I'm open to being wrong here. I don't know. But my guess is Apple MUST have had a pretty solid idea on sales and that the 'shifting' to a cheaper set isn't a sudden thing, but part of the plan. 
    I’m not sure why you even had that thought. Of course Apple didn’t think that it was going to sell like gangbusters. This product was never marketed as a mass produced product that many millions of people would buy. It was mainly marketed to developers so that when they did have a mainstream product, there would already be an ecosystem in place for it.
    This product was never marketed as a mass produced product that millions of people would buy?  Are you sure about that Mate?  Around the time of its release, I recall going to the Apple website and there it was...the very first thing you see...the AVP.   I'm sure there were hundreds of thousands of regular (non-developer) customers that visited their website back then.  Further, I recall I could even purchase the product using my iPhone and I'm hardly a developer.  Not to mention about a month ago I went to our local Apple Store and guess what?  The sales person asked me if I wanted a 20 minute in-store demo of the AVP (which I took part in).  That demo was designed for regular users not developers.  Again, my point it Apple 100% marketed the AVP as if it was a mainstream device for them.  Never once did I get the feeling it was only just for developers.  Between you and me, obviously at a price close to $4K with everything added in...the regular Joe was hardly going to impulse buy this or even think about giving it as a Xmas gift...but Apple sure tried (and failed).
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 29
    amarkap said:
    I find it hard to believe that Apple thought that this first version would sell like gangbusters. They MUST have people connected to the real world who realize a $3,500 toy is off limits to the majority of the population. So I take it they went the Mercedes route - knowing they would sell less (Than Ford), but still have a good idea of how many would sell. Now the bigger question is - does anyone care about goggle based VR? And having tried them out for many years, I suspect it's a really tough sell to the vast majority of people. And the device rather quickly becomes an afterthought.  But hey, I'm open to being wrong here. I don't know. But my guess is Apple MUST have had a pretty solid idea on sales and that the 'shifting' to a cheaper set isn't a sudden thing, but part of the plan. 
    I’m not sure why you even had that thought. Of course Apple didn’t think that it was going to sell like gangbusters. This product was never marketed as a mass produced product that many millions of people would buy. It was mainly marketed to developers so that when they did have a mainstream product, there would already be an ecosystem in place for it.
    This product was never marketed as a mass produced product that millions of people would buy?  Are you sure about that Mate?  Around the time of its release, I recall going to the Apple website and there it was...the very first thing you see...the AVP.   I'm sure there were hundreds of thousands of regular (non-developer) customers that visited their website back then.  Further, I recall I could even purchase the product using my iPhone and I'm hardly a developer.  Not to mention about a month ago I went to our local Apple Store and guess what?  The sales person asked me if I wanted a 20 minute in-store demo of the AVP (which I took part in).  That demo was designed for regular users not developers.  Again, my point it Apple 100% marketed the AVP as if it was a mainstream device for them.  Never once did I get the feeling it was only just for developers.  Between you and me, obviously at a price close to $4K with everything added in...the regular Joe was hardly going to impulse buy this or even think about giving it as a Xmas gift...but Apple sure tried (and failed).
    Yeah, ALL the marketing has been aimed at regular consumers. Insane people still try the “it’s only aimed at developers” argument.
    edited June 19 amarkapmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Apple Vision Air, Apple Vision Mini, or just plain Apple Vision?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Well, those first two names are definitely Apple-Like...but I think the best would be just Apple Vision.  And then...well...we already have Apple Vision Pro.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    You know just having more fun with your post...I looked at all the prior Apple Products and came up with all these combinations that are sort of Apple Like.  Who knows maybe one of them will be a future product name.  :)

Apple Vision Cinema
    Apple Vision SE
    Apple Vision Plus
    Apple Power Vision
    Apple Power Vision Pro
    Apple iVision (ha ha...never!)
    Apple Vision Express
    Apple Vision Nano
    Apple Vision +
    Apple Vision X
    Apple Vision Home
    Apple Vision Max
    Apple Magic Vision

edited June 19 williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 29
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    omasou said:
    So I have a VisionPro and I don't really see a less expensive and less capable VR headset as a want. It will still have the same problems of weight, comfort, isolation, etc.

I would really like a set AR glasses.
    I would definitely not want AR glasses. If I had the Apple Vision Pro, I would not be using it in AR mode, I would be using it in VR mode because that is what I’m most interested in. VR can’t work with glasses because it would not be possible to seal out the light.
    VR is only useful for entertainment and immersion.

There is so many more useful things that can be done to enhance my daily tech use with AR., e.g. Apple CarPlay HUD, directions walking or driving. Sightseeing think of an museum audio tour. Now imagine the same thing but while touring a city but with visual pop ups and voice overs via AirPods.
    edited June 19
  • Reply 28 of 29
    LettuceLettuce Posts: 16member
    No, they won’t sell a headset with lower display specs. That would be suicidal. 
    Instead, they’ll remove the external facing display, use cheaper attachments, and use cheaper front facing glass. 
    dewme
  • Reply 29 of 29
    chelinchelin Posts: 111member
    My prediction is that this product line will follow the infamous iPod HiFi
    williamlondon