iTunes 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The default 128kps AAC has apparently come out as good as 192kps MP3 in blind tests, and certainly I wouldn't argue. That said, I've played with 96kps AACs and they still sounded pretty good, so I'm going to go and play with iTunes and see just how much I can get on my iPod right now...

Quote:

Originally posted by job

Oh, also, I don't see the point of re-ripping all 2500+ songs of mine to .mp4. Wonderful, I get a few Kbps of improvement which I don't really hear as it is.

That's not really the issue: AAC creates smaller files, so you can fit more in without having to sacrifice huge amounts of hard drive space.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    so why don't QT and iTunes show up in software update. the only thing to download is iPod 1.3. And weirder than that, when I tried to DL iTunes from the website, the file that started DLing was iTunes 3.0.1.dmg 3!?!?! wtf, where's 4!?
  • Reply 43 of 108
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

so why don't QT and iTunes show up in software update. the only thing to download is iPod 1.3. And weirder than that, when I tried to DL iTunes from the website, the file that started DLing was iTunes 3.0.1.dmg 3!?!?! wtf, where's 4!?

I downloaded iTunes 4 for my iBook about 2 hours ago. I just came home to download it to my iMac and now it just downloads 3.0.1.. i dunno.....
  • Reply 44 of 108
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I was at work, and the I downloaded iTunes 4, but it won't boot on my machine (10.2.5). I just got home, and now it's downloading 3.0.1. Hrmph.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    Well applemusic will be selling them in 128 aka "high quality".
  • Reply 46 of 108
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    True, the blue icon was the best but Red would just be niiiiiiiice.

I looove the new font. Anti-aliased text hurts my eyes on a 12" PowerBook!
  • Reply 47 of 108
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Same here. I'm switching to Windows now. *slyly dives through window so as to avoid swinging door.*

Hmm I wonder if someone just goofed on the name of the file...bah.

Time to get QT 6.2 I suppose, they'll have it sorted out within the month.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

Are you following the link from the front page? Dragged it straight down for me.

Try this link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  • Reply 49 of 108
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Are you following the link from the front page? Dragged it straight down for me.

Try this link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

that link downloads 3.0.1
  • Reply 50 of 108
    same here... 3.0.1... bogus

i bet they noticed you could stream over IP beyond .local.

somehow i doubt that the RIAA would've OKd that.

i bet a revision is in the works.

now i need to dig the 4.0 installer out of the trash on my iBook and see if i can install it on my wife's machine.

• Reply 51 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Neither iTunes 4 nor QT 6.2 are downloading for me.

I am getting the iTunes 3.0.1 install from the above link.

QT 6.2 also does not appear in the software update (as of this post.)

Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

That's not really the issue: AAC creates smaller files, so you can fit more in without having to sacrifice huge amounts of hard drive space.

I can understand that.These updates don't really affect my use of my Mac all that much. I'm not buying an iPod, nor do I plan on using the new music service. I'm happy for all the people out there who have been waiting for new iPods and the like. With 100GB of total HD space, I'm not too concerned when it comes to my 12.3GB of mp3 compared to say, a hypothetical 10~9GB of .mp4.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    4.0 is gone. Can't see what rendezvous would have to do with anything. You can only see and play the music when the source is connected. You cannot download from the source. When the source is gone, so is the playlist.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    .... or maybe their online music server has crapped it's pants, so they're trying to limit people from accessing it while they try to fix.

i tried to use it (along w/ a few other hundred thousand people) and got nothing but 504 errors.

• Reply 54 of 108
    Anyone with a decent connection that can´t get iTunes or QT: Fire up iChat and go to AFTP and see the magic of legal filesharing...
  • Reply 55 of 108
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I downloaded Quicktime 6.2, iTunes 4 and the iPod update from the Apple website. Shortly after, the iPod update appeared on the Software Update panel. Too late! Getting into the music store is difficult right now. I did notice that many full CDs are @ $9.99!
  • Reply 56 of 108
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Anyone with a decent connection that can´t get iTunes or QT: Fire up iChat and go to AFTP and see the magic of legal filesharing...

Care to give us non-iChat users a more detailed explaination of how to "go to AFTP?"

Please?
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Why isn't iTunes 4 in Software Update?
  • Reply 58 of 108
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Fixed. iTunes4.dmg is downloading for me at the moment.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    I am also just getting iTunes 3.0.1 when I click on the iTunes 4 link. How can I notify Apple about this? I thought perhaps there might be another place to get this from (such as the iDisk software section), but no such luck. I hope iTunes 4 is available again before the evening is out.

Matthew
  • Reply 60 of 108
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I'll be the first with the conspiracy theory.

Apple pulled 4.0 for a while to raise the download count. I've already tried it 5 times. I'll bet others of you have tried it several times as well. That will look impressive tomorrow when they say iTunes has been download 40 bazillion times since the announcement of the Music Store.

Of course, I am only kidding. Can't wait to get 4.0.