Future Apple Vision: What to expect from Apple's next headsets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    nubusnubus Posts: 472member
    charlesn said:
    The instant naysayers of VP are ignorant of Apple history and how it became the world's most valuable company. And that's fine--your opinions are meaningless and Apple will continue on its path to creating the next great thing. 
    A large market cap doesn’t make Apple immune to failure. Apple, IBM, Intel, MS all had huge market caps when they launched products that flopped. Cook has been playing it safe for a decade. To me it seems Cook is doing like Sculley and launching tech to show him as a visionary.
    williamlondonCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 22 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,950member
    JamesCude said:
    Sales have struggled “a bit” as in quite a lot.
    Citation needed. What’s your source of Apple sales data, considered Apple doesn’t release its sales data. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,091member
    Same old playbook applied to Apple by the Finance/Tech wizards Apple must make it cheaper for marketshare hell no Apple needs to make it better.

Luis, the writing was on the wall after, Motorola, IBM, and Intel (the last) said no to smaller faster more efficient processors. The rebirth of Apple servers for use with Apple Intelligence recently is in the same vein, in the end Apple has to roll up their sleeves and do it themselves currently many people and governments are confused about that if you don't support (software) and build your own devices who will? Spotify plays the freeloader game but must companies can't do so.
    edited July 4 StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,091member

JamesCude said:
    Sales have struggled “a bit” as in quite a lot.
    Based on one country release?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 25
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,297member
    charlesn said:
    AVP is one of these few initiatives at Apple that will not pan out. They have the money to keep it alive but it’s clear they don’t know what to do with their own invention. 
    You obviously would have killed Apple Watch in the crib, too, because let's talk about v1.0 of that product: other than keeping time, it could do virtually nothing on its own unless you had it tethered to an iPhone that had to be with you. (So one could logically ask: why the hell do I need the watch if I have to have my iPhone with me anyway? I'll just use my phone!) The best that could be said about Watch v1.0 is that it was a tiny screen extension of your iPhone, but otherwise pretty useless and also incredibly slow. The marketing of Apple Watch positioned it more as fashion accessory than anything else with its easily swappable bands. And who can ever forget the ridiculous, celeb-bait 18K gold Apple Watch Edition priced up to $17,000, depending on the buckle.

So... given that disastrous beginning, where is Apple Watch today? It is, by many orders of magnitude, the most successful watch in the 200 year history of watches. Not only has it left every other watch brand in the dust, it eclipsed the entire Swiss watch industry in sales years ago. But that didn't happen overnight. It took several YEARS of new models before the Watch was truly independent of the iPhone. And it took several YEARS of new models before a central purpose for Watch evolved that will carry it forward for years to come--a central purpose not considered for v1.0: health tracking. We're still in the early innings of sensor development for health purposes, but sales will absolutely explode when real-time blood pressure and glucose level monitoring are possible, and that's only a matter of time. 

If you know anything about Apple history, and clearly you do not, many of its greatest successes, including the Mac, itself, took years to evolve beyond v1.0 into the hit products we now know them to be. Just to be clear: I'm not claiming that Vision Pro is going to be a hit. I can't know that. No one can. But what I can state with absolute certainty is whether it will become a hit or not will take several years of iterations to determine. Apple has been down this road before and--most importantly--has the cash to sustain the continued development that's necessary. 

Let me try to filter through your arrogance.
    I owned Amiga and Apple computers during the early 90s when they were still on 680x0 chips and have been a loyal user since then. 

I’ve had the 2nd Apple Watch and am now on my third watch since then, I’m currently on the last generation.
    I am an owner of an Apple Vision Pro, two iMacs, a Mac Studio, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, iPhone 15 Pro, HomePod. I probably left out hardware but you catch my drift. 
    I also have non Apple hardware such as the Meta Quest 3.

I developed over 50 games running on iOS, iPadOS and even tvOS with my gaming company that I sold in 2019. The first game was for the iPhone 1 that I still have. Other platforms we developed for were VR and desktop platforms. 

I currently lead the immersive department of a company in learning, where I focus on VR, AR and artificial intelligence and birth new scalable product for enterprise markets. Hence the AVP and other VR devices. 

In contrast, I don’t even believe for a bit you own an Apple Vision Pro yourself, yet you seem to be so full of yourself with your arrogance and assumptions. I am very familiar with Apple’s history. 

I review every platform on their own strengths, weaknesses, positioning, UX/UI language, et cetera.

in your example, the Apple Watch had clear market positioning. I could immediately see its success even if the first watches and software weren’t mature and complete. It served a clear user need from day one and blended tech and wearable perfectly.
    The AVP is not that device. I’ve been long enough in the industry to see it will remain niche but will find its way into industrial applications and some B2B use cases.  But it is positioned to be something that consumers do not want or need. 

Now scram. 
    muthuk_vanalingam