Will you purchase a Powermac 970?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Will a dual 970 do rendering in FinalCutPro appreciably faster than on the dual 1Ghz G4 I'm using right now? By appreciably faster I mean so much faster that I will want to go out and purchase one immediately? As I'm sure you all know, working with FCP involves lots and lots of waiting...waiting...still waiting....
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Will a dual 970 do rendering in FinalCutPro appreciably faster than on the dual 1Ghz G4 I'm using right now? By appreciably faster I mean so much faster that I will want to go out and purchase one immediately? As I'm sure you all know, working with FCP involves lots and lots of waiting...waiting...still waiting....

Who knows?

Ill buy when it has hardware to make my way to the next couple a years.. SATA, serious bus/ram speeds, 8x AGP and maybe PCI-X or Xtreme..
  • Reply 23 of 36
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    OMG- all the griping on this board and we have this number on the poll:

I'll wait for rev. 2

25.26%

• Reply 24 of 36
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

lol. You're not a student, you're a kid.

I fail to see the humor. I'm in school currently. Yes, I am a kid by your definition, but I am also a student. What else would you call me? A pupil? I am a student, whether your definition of the word is the same as mine. A person currently attending classes at an educational facility, including people such as myself and you are termed students.

Quote:

I'm a student. Saying you're a student... the word has certain connotations.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I fail to see the difference between a High School student and a college/university (again I'm assuming) student. Is there some magical difference other than age and current scholastic ability that somehow defines the apparent differences between us?

Is it simply because I called myself a "student on a limited budget?" What sort of connotations does the word student actually have?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    What sort of connotations does the word student actually have?

Someone sitting around smokin jute, drinkin beer, hangin' out in Florida at spring break and downloadin' off Kazaa comes to mind.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

What sort of connotations does the word student actually have?

Someone sitting around smokin jute, drinkin beer, hangin' out in Florida at spring break and downloadin' off Kazaa comes to mind.

Not that you have to be in college to do most of those things.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

The 970 is at least twice as fast as the G4 at the same clock speed and may be even faster at certain other tasks. Given that, the low-end pro Mac 970 tower at 1.4 GHz will be more than twice as fast as the current high-end dual-proc 1.4 GHz G4 tower.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Not that you have to be in college to do most of those things.

I stand corrected.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I would wait and see how the configurations turn out, but I'd be really tempted to jump on a rev A PM 970.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    I voted for "wait for rev B" because:

[list=a][*]I just bought a PB 12" in Feb.[*]I'm out of a job, and I'm working odd jobs here and there to make ends meet until I find a full time job.[/list=a]

It doesn't really have anything to do with rev A vs. B stuff, more to do with my situation.

PS. Anybody need the services of an Oracle/SQL Server programmer in Phoenix?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RageX

I would wait and see how the configurations turn out, but I'd be really tempted to jump on a rev A PM 970.

Absolutely...me too!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    as soon as i found out all my software works.

CHA-CHING

dual proc.

• Reply 33 of 36
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I am definitely hot for the 970, but I will wait for Rev B. It seems like there are often little boo-boos in Rev A machines. But, perhaps since Apple has had such a long wait for the processor, the hardware is completely ready. I will still wait, because I bought a Rev A B&W, and got stuck with its deficiencies.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    By the time I buy another computer (Just traded up from my iBook 600 to a dual 867 for a steal), I'll be looking at 'Laptop Only' computing. I'll have a very well paying job then and I want a 970 17" Powerbook.

Stylin'!
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Ideally I'd like to get a 15" 970 powerbook, but if it looks like too long a wait for such a beast and the new PMs are announced at WWDC, I may go for a low or mid range 970 PowerMac right away - Heck, I'll take anything with a 970 in it - I just want Apple to get over the G4s, esp. in their high-end stuff. No more incremental upgrades - let's hope we see a leap forward rather than a lazy shuffle.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reductionist

Ideally I'd like to get a 15" 970 powerbook, but if it looks like too long a wait for such a beast and the new PMs are announced at WWDC, I may go for a low or mid range 970 PowerMac right away - Heck, I'll take anything with a 970 in it - I just want Apple to get over the G4s, esp. in their high-end stuff. No more incremental upgrades - let's hope we see a leap forward rather than a lazy shuffle.

BRAVO! I'M WITH YOU!