Streaming music in iTunes from remote computers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
It wasn´t talked about today but I discovered that it have the ability to stream music from non-local computers.

All yo need is an IP. Almost as the plug.in we fumbled with a couple of month ago.

Anyone wants to share?

And anyone know how to determine my IP when I am on a local net?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Well don´t just read. Do something.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Well don´t just read. Do something.

I am behind a firewall, otherwise I would post my IP. Heck, just in case maybe somehow this will work, here is my IP: 130.86.213.117

But I am tellign you now, 99% sure you wont be able to conenct to me because of the damned network setup they have here.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    right now all my mp3's are being stored on another drive. laptop is to small for 'em all
  • Reply 4 of 13
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I am behind a firewall, otherwise I would post my IP. Heck, just in case maybe somehow this will work, here is my IP: 130.86.213.117

But I am tellign you now, 99% sure you wont be able to conenct to me because of the damned network setup they have here.

It didn't work (big surprise):

An error occured while connecting to the to the shared music library "130.86.213.117". The server could not be found or is not responding.

The "to the to the" part it iTunes' typo, not mine.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

It didn't work (big surprise):

An error occured while connecting to the to the shared music library "130.86.213.117". The server could not be found or is not responding.

The "to the to the" part it iTunes' typo, not mine.

Get the same.

Dammit. Someone with a public IP and iTunes 4 must be out there. Can´t you email me if you don´t want the entire mac community to listen to your computer. Its only for a one time test [/innocent smilie]
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Got it to work.

You need to try this out. Its fantastic. Better than internet radio.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Got it to work.

How? I'd love to try it, somebody isn't sharing the technique...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Got it to work.

Would you share the IP (you can email it to me at [email protected])

How much bandwidth does it take up on the senders end (obviously it will eat from your upstream, and most people only have about 12k/sec or so, so does it use a lot?)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Would you share the IP (you can email it to me at [email protected])

How much bandwidth does it take up on the senders end (obviously it will eat from your upstream, and most people only have about 12k/sec or so, so does it use a lot?)

Sorry haven´t a public IP.

I sounds too good not to be streaming mp3. So there you have the bandwidth (plus a little overhead for transportation i guess). Remember its intented for LAN work so I don´t thnk apple have gone to lenght to make it possible to use it over low ADSL connections.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Sorry haven´t a public IP.

I sounds too good not to be streaming mp3. So there you have the bandwidth (plus a little overhead for transportation i guess). Remember its intented for LAN work so I don´t thnk apple have gone to lenght to make it possible to use it over low ADSL connections.

Very true. A 128 bitrate mp3/aac file is about 15.6k/sec (I think, I could be off), so DSL/Cable users (with 128 upstream) would be eating all of their upstream to pass out a file like that.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    whoa...

So what port do I have to open up on my Firewall if I want to share with my friends???
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I`m using it now.. Its sooo bad ass. Maybe when I get a faster ineternet connection than my cable I`ll make my server public and a PHP script so people can store their playlists on my server and stream them from there
  • Reply 13 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Port 3689