Music Store...Apple's trojan horse?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Like most things Apple does, this new venture looks cool and works well. But I'm left wondering if this will translate into greater marketshare.

I suppose there's profit to be made from each song sold (what do you figure is Apple's cut?) But is there a compelling reason to switch and buy a Mac when this service will eventually be available to PC users?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    hard to say, but I will tell you this--if the whole thing was Mac only, it would never get the momentum it needs to really revolutionize the industry.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That's certainly the idea. That, and covering their asses with falling market share percentages by going into services other than hardware manufacture.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    purepure Posts: 26member
    It'll translate into greater market share if Apple could only produce a decent commercial. Did you see the iTunes Music Store ads? I clicked on the one with the kid and could only watch for 5 seconds. Just seeing the kid doing eminem made me cringe. Horrible
  • Reply 4 of 21
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I would say that if(and i bet when) apple makes an all make an all out concerted effort (if they are not already) to get the indies. We are looking at apple being the biggest independent label provider on the planet.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    More like a Trojan condom. "Safe" music.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Like most things Apple does, this new venture looks cool and works well. But I'm left wondering if this will translate into greater marketshare.

I suppose there's profit to be made from each song sold (what do you figure is Apple's cut?) But is there a compelling reason to switch and buy a Mac when this service will eventually be available to PC users?

I read at Wired.com that the label gets 65 cents for every song sold, except the exclusive songs.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    To answer your original question. Yes the iTunes Music Service(ISM) will increase Mac Marketshare. How?

It will increase marketshare by proxy.

Apple's main problem is the price of their machines is much higher on avg than PC's. Apple really can do nothing about this currently because a majority of profits come from Hardware.

Fast forward 5 years. ISM is a huge success with Mac, Windows and even Linux access.

Apple has DLD devices which range from portable to Settop Boxes to Car Units which play the tunes downloaded. Apple is raking in profits. This in turn has allowed Apple to lower the margin on Macintosh computers which has increased the amount of Macs sold which allows Apple to create another node to sell too.

The success of Apples ventures in areas peripheral to the Computer industry will directly affect Macintosh computers. I for one will definitely look to purchase much music. This is going to be much more profitable than .mac. People are already talking about the Dollar Day deals they're getting on some songs or Albums.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    and this will only be accellerated if apple can close the deal with AOL.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    that would BIG. Gabby Hayes Big...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Marketshare will not increase by much. Few people are going to buy Macs just to download music...

But the music store is gonna generate more awarness for mac products. And this could translate in higher market share.

All things considered, the music store is a good step foward.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Marketshare will not increase by much. Few people are going to buy Macs just to download music..

That wasn't really hmurchison's point, as I understood it. Instead, the music service is another revenue stream, which means that Apple is less dependent on Macintosh hardware margins to make a profit, which gives them much more latitude to lower prices. And if I hear people on this board turn around and say that lower prices won't boost market share, I'm going to... well, I'll wonder who slipped what into the water.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's actually the iPod that's the trojan horse. Millions of people have one and now they might as well use them with this cool new service. One that only the cool iPod'ers can get access to. It could be huge. I just hope they get more selection and keep the ease of use right where it is.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    heh, wouldn't it be funny if apple's friday anouncement was that itunes was out for windows
  • Reply 14 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It's actually the iPod that's the trojan horse. Millions of people have one and now they might as well use them with this cool new service. One that only the cool iPod'ers can get access to. It could be huge. I just hope they get more selection and keep the ease of use right where it is.

iPod + music service = massive Trojan horse. Millions of people happily use Apple products. Millions more will use Apple services. And once people are much more familiar and comfortable with Apple, Apple will have a little more leeway to price their computers, and getting a Mac won't seem so far fetched an idea.

Actually, even here where I could go for a very long time without seeing a Mac, I saw an iPod and two iBooks in the nearby coffee shop. iBooks in particular are appearing more and more often. They're a sight for sore eyes, especially in a sea of Dells and Compaqs. If Apple can accelerate this trend, more power to them.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think a big thing will be growing MINDshare. People won't buy a Mac to use iTunes or the music service, and they don't have to buy one to use an iPod... but it will make people aware of Apple, let them know that they do more than make Macs. The iPod is already a symbol of the revolution of digital media. Everyone knows about the iPod... It might even be more well-known than the gumdrop iMac or the clamshell iBook, at least for the amount of time it's been around. Someone might get an iPod, think to themselves "you know, Apple sure does make a good MP3 player... I wonder what their computers are like?" or at least "Apple? Oh, cool, so they DIDN'T go out of business a few years ago!"
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think a big thing will be growing MINDshare. People won't buy a Mac to use iTunes or the music service, and they don't have to buy one to use an iPod... but it will make people aware of Apple, let them know that they do more than make Macs. The iPod is already a symbol of the revolution of digital media. Everyone knows about the iPod... It might even be more well-known than the gumdrop iMac or the clamshell iBook, at least for the amount of time it's been around. Someone might get an iPod, think to themselves "you know, Apple sure does make a good MP3 player... I wonder what their computers are like?" or at least "Apple? Oh, cool, so they DIDN'T go out of business a few years ago!"

<EmAn Post>

</EmAn Post>

that would be nice, although i think apple has alot of recognition already, its the truth about apple that needs to be spread now, i mean for 3% of the market share, apple gets TONS of press and media attention...i mean jobs was on CNN, and all that good stuff
  • Reply 17 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah I suppose you're right. Well, if anything, once they release a Windows-compatible version of their music service they'll have a bit more income even if their market share doesn't increase.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Yeah I suppose you're right. Well, if anything, once they release a Windows-compatible version of their music service they'll have a bit more income even if their market share doesn't increase.

i think this would be the key, a windows versino of iTunes would be awesome

the main problem is getting people to use it, if it might be popular, they would need to bundle it with other software so it gets used

i know the majority of PC users (and i guess some mac useres that rn't hardcore like us) use whatever software comes on their PC, or whatever they were shown by somone
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Actually, even here where I could go for a very long time without seeing a Mac, I saw an iPod and two iBooks in the nearby coffee shop. iBooks in particular are appearing more and more often. They're a sight for sore eyes, especially in a sea of Dells and Compaqs. If Apple can accelerate this trend, more power to them.

Last week I was on a BayLink Ferry, and I saw three iBooks, two TiBooks, and a Pismo. All in all, I saw eight laptops. If you do the math then six of those laptops were Macs.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Last week I was on a BayLink Ferry, and I saw three iBooks, two TiBooks, and a Pismo. All in all, I saw eight laptops. If you do the math then six of those laptops were Macs.

Sooo... How many were PCs?