Firewire to USB2.0, Oh yes, now we're in business!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is a bit of iPod news that I believe is significant to a whole range of potential peripherals.

I've mentioned it, oh, about a thousand times on these boards, that the ideal backwards compatible solution for most mac users without PCI/PC cards would e a nice little inline Firewire to USB2.0 brige, and now that Apple is supplying wit the new iPods we know that it can be done. So it should only be a matter of time before griffin or Dr.Bott, or MacAlly and their ilk have a similar periph available for the rest of us.

YAY! WOO-HOO!!!

No more slow USB1.1 speeds or EXPENSIVE firewire digital cameras/scanners. Welcome to the world of affordable USB2.0 scanning and digital camera hook-up, not to mention cheap xternal drives (though I still prefer Firewire for that)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    No, that's not how it works.

It is simply a special cable that plugs into either the iPod or the dock. It has two cables merging into that one plug. One of the cables is USB2.0 and the other is a firewire cable to carry power from the adaptor.

All of the conversion is being done internally on the iPod. My guess is that it's being done with an Oxford 922 chipset, and additional hardware to sense between being plugged into a FireWire cable and this special combo one.

However, what must be remembered is that this is a very good indication of the quality of MacWhispers.com's sources. In my book http://www.macwhispers.com is now one of the best Macintosh rumours sites.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Damn! I had a feeling it couldn't be that easy. At least the iPOd makes a nice cross platofrm device now. Still, the possibility of a USB2.0 to firewire bridge seems closer somehow.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Pah. MacWhispers' "most reliable source" gives them utter BS like this. Quality, indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ummm, hello? check the dateline dude, 4/1/03. hmm, now what day is that again?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Oh Lord...Spart, you've been had....and a month late as well! Hehe, damn...I really hoped you were kidding, but the tone in your post says no. Too funny.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Matsu- I wouldn't say that the prospects for a FireWire-USB bridge are improved at all by this. The Oxford 922 solution is a combined USB2/FireWire<->ATA bridge.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yeah, but mebbe someone at a third party will get a clue that there are plenty of macs out there (and currently being sold) that lack USB2.0, and that would be the only way to get it.

At least the it may now be possible for someone to write software to turn the iPod into a legitimate digital wallet. No color viewing, but that's not critical, just offloading and storage.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

At least the it may now be possible for someone to write software to turn the iPod into a legitimate digital wallet. No color viewing, but that's not critical, just offloading and storage.

yeah, i was thinking that as well... the "dock connector" is a much better way to connect such devices than a standard firewire port...