London calling

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Yes, how appropiate of SJ to play London calling whilst at the same time letting us know that the music store is closed to Londoners.

Isn't it the case that GB is the second largest market for Apple and yet we don't have the ability to order photos from iPhoto. We can't buy music from the music store and sherlock doesn't work.

Hmm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Swing by Spymac, they've got a link to some guy starting a petition to politely ask Apple not to ignore everyone outside the USA with the nice toys...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    iPhoto books and prints are made for Apple by Kodak her in the U.S. They own the equipment and processes to make them. Perhaps there's no vendor in the UK that can handle this web based business (I don't know)?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    There's no such services in Singapore either. Apple should charge me less for .mac
  • Reply 4 of 12
    matt ftmatt ft Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

iPhoto books and prints are made for Apple by Kodak her in the U.S. They own the equipment and processes to make them. Perhaps there's no vendor in the UK that can handle this web based business (I don't know)?

There are other companies (Dabs.com) that offer the same sort of deal here in the UK, so there must be a vendor somewhere...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess London is not burning

ah man I kill myself
  • Reply 6 of 12
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    As much as I like Apple's products, I hate the fact that Mr. Jobs is so damn ignorant as to think the earth is flat and there is no life outside the US.

[out to e-mail Mr. Jobs about the current scientific point of view on the shape of the earth]
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Last I looked, Kodak was still running some sort of business in the UK, and it's not like the web works differently or anything... Unless it's that pesky 120V electricity!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I know Kodak does business in the UK and other parts of the world. The question, and I don't know the answer, is does Kodak have the necessary equipment and infrastructure to make iPhoto BOOKS in the UK ?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    psh sounds like ur jealous u dont live here

ahh, the joys of being an american (neither ugly nor rude...well maybe rude)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

does Kodak have the necessary equipment and infrastructure to make iPhoto BOOKS in the UK ?

Probably not in place, but it shouldn't be put-a-man-on-Mars-level of difficulty to set up: I deal regularly with a chain of print shops that allow you to submit work directly over the web, which is much the same model.

Hmm, maybe I should mail Apple...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    ok, so we in the UK have to wait ages. why? in this case it's not Apple's usual 'ah well, the rest of the world can wait' attitude eg iTools, iPhoto publishing, initial .Mac registration, many promo deals etc.

it's because of the way music is licenced to various territories. In this case, as in most cases the USA is a big (largely) contiguous and homogenous lump, with the same licencing/copyright laws on a federal level. Therefore it's easy and probably the single biggest affluent music market in the world. Japan is tech-savvy but the econmoy is slow and the population may be wired, but doesn't rival the US in demographics.

Europe, at leats through the eyes of records execs, is far more fractured. Most big companies have separate divisions for regions or countries eg UK, France, Germany, Benelux etc ... so working out licencing percentages etc on an EU-wide level would be hard enough. extending that to, say, non-EU countries such as Switzerland or Norway will give any record exec and accountant an apoplectic fit in no time. This is of course assuming that the various arms of the parent company are willing to work together and average out royalties and the like. That's unlikely.

My experience of the music publishing industry tells me self-interest is paramount in most peoples's minds. remember it is the record execs, not the artists, who stand to gain more from conventional distribution methods, and who may feel the greatest fear about how a new model will affect their jobs. I mean, if this model takes off, i can see Warner or Sony looking across the pond and saying "Why DO we need half a dozen or more parachioal execs over in Europe when one would suffice. I mean, the songs and artwork trancend national boundaries seamlessly, so why do we pay these guys to look after only their own patch ..."

still, it's a pisser we can't have the option, but AFAIK it'll be a long while till we get the service here in the UK, and that may or may not come as part of a Europe-wide service. my guess is it'll be liek the online apple store ... 3-4 years of rolling out till the service has relative parity across the first world.

• Reply 12 of 12
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Actually I think mypublisher.com does Apple's books. All other iPhoto printing is handled by Kodak, however.