iMac with seemingly dead CRT

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The CRT of my iMac was acting unusual for a number of weeks (With little lines or fuzzes forming in portions of the screen) and now when I press the power button nothing happens. It seems to be dead.. or something...I'm kind of at a loss for words but I'm wondering what I should to do check this out and what a repair would cost if it is even possible

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rara Posts: 623member
    Did you recently update to OS X? If so you need a firmware update.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Did you recently update to OS X? If so you need a firmware update.

Doesn't the installation let u know if u need a firmware upgrade?

Are u sure its the crt or will the computer just not turn on?

I had a problem where my iMac randomly died on me...Screen would not turn on but everything else would was told it was logic board problem...1 month later i tried booting it again and it worked without a problem...very odd but i'm not complainin.

As for price for repair I would ask a genius at an apple store.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pippinpippin Posts: 91member
    I had actually recently started from scrach, erasing the disk and installing OS 9. I'm not sure if the computer is booting, I press the power button, the monitor doesnt power up and the computer doesnt make much noise, which leads me to believe that perhaps its more than the monitor..
  • Reply 4 of 5
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pippin

I had actually recently started from scrach, erasing the disk and installing OS 9. I'm not sure if the computer is booting, I press the power button, the monitor doesnt power up and the computer doesnt make much noise, which leads me to believe that perhaps its more than the monitor..

What Rev/Version iMac is it?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    skalmanskalman Posts: 42member
    Hi,

1. Is the powerbutton sticking? If it is then you can remove the bottom cover (should be four screws if the iMac is slot-loading). Sit with the iMac directly in front of you like you usually do. Now look at the LED and see if it centered. If it isn't, then very gently center it. Then try to press the inner power button a couple of times to see if it sticks.

2. Is the powerbutton not clicking? Then same as above but you might have to remove the inner power button and sand the inner bezel. Just make sure that you remove all the debris after sanding.

3. If it is clicking and not sticking then reset the power manager. Open the door going to the RAM and airport card. There should be a black or brown/grey button about 3.5 centimeters from the powerplug going to the HD/CD-drives.

If it doesn't work after this then you have to take it in for repair.