.mac login problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks,

Weird problem here. I have several macs at home and work. I usually login through Safari to check my .mac e-mail account at school. It works fine on every machine...except one.

Whenever I try and log in, it tells me I must first enter my username. Well, HELLO...I AM entering it and the correct password. It's as if it doesnt see that I am typing the username.

Internet Explorer works fine. It's just Safari.

I have tried:

1. Downloading the latest public beta. Remember, it works fine every other machine.

2. Emptying the cache

3. Clearing out the .mac ID cookie

4. Logging out and back into .mac. (I am able to log into the .mac service...just not the e-mail portion of it).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Hi folks,

Weird problem here. I have several macs at home and work. I usually login through Safari to check my .mac e-mail account at school. It works fine on every machine...except one.

Whenever I try and log in, it tells me I must first enter my username. Well, HELLO...I AM entering it and the correct password. It's as if it doesnt see that I am typing the username.

Internet Explorer works fine. It's just Safari.

I have tried:

1. Downloading the latest public beta. Remember, it works fine every other machine.

2. Emptying the cache

3. Clearing out the .mac ID cookie

4. Logging out and back into .mac. (I am able to log into the .mac service...just not the e-mail portion of it).

Thoughts?

I don't have an answer for you, but it happens to me as well. I find it funny I can't log into my .mac account with Apples' browser.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    try entering only the first 8 characters of yr password
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

try entering only the first 8 characters of yr password

Tried that, but it still doesn't work.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    ok.some things to do:

1. did you put the id/password in the auto fill in?

if the connection is slow, it usually dumps it in after you also have entered it, thereby doubling it.

2. .mac and apple id are supposedly merged by now. in fact in many cases they arent. to be sure, have .mac send you the password in the mail. verify that the user id is correct as well, and yr .mac sign in should be [email protected].
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well I figured out that if I try to log in without logging out the session before, I get the error saying that I need to put in my username. If I completely log out and quit Safari, then open Safari and log back in, it seems to work fine. Weird that I don't have this problem with Explorer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    But, this only happens to me on the one Mac.

And....said Mac crashed today and booted up with the old question mark!!!! Someone refresh my memory on what that signifies? I assume it means it can't find the system folder.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Since time immemorial. Something badly wrong with that machine. Crashed HD, perhaps?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    Can't speak to the hard drive issue, but I was having the same problem logging in to .mac using Safari. Kept asking for my username and password. I went to Users>applications> safari and deleted it (neglected to salvage my bookmarks, first, though - you might want to move them to desktop or something first in order to keep them), and now no problem at all. Guess the file was corrupted. Or maybe the problem WAS the bookmark file, and when I deleted that it corrected. At any rate, worked for me! Good luck!