XChat

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hmm software or GB??? GB it is.

Anyone managed to compile this yet ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Moving to Software.

And for what it's worth, I *think* there was a build of it on fink. I could be mistaken, though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yeah there is a Fink binary... Personally I think XChat sucks.... but you guys can form your own opinions.

If you have Fink installed type sudo apt-get install xchat. You'll need to know your root password. Have it ready. That will download and install XChat automatically for you. Or you can get it from the source by typing fink install xchat. That will download the source code and compile it. Depending on the speed of your computer that can take from minutes to hours to compile and set up....

Once either way of installation has completed under X11's Xterm type cd /sw/bin to switch into the binary directory of the Fink distro and then type ./xchat and you're good to go. If you don't want to have to keep typing cd /sw/bin and ./xchat you can always add XChat into the Applications menu of X11. That's so easy to do I don't think I have to explain it. To learn more about Fink and how to use it click here.

Post here or send me a line in an e-mail if you need more help. My e-mail is in my profile but I'll also post it here. Click here to e-mail me if you need more help.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    There's an Aqua version of XChat available at http://xchataqua.sourceforge.net/ . It's much better than the GTK version but does lack some features. The author considers it to be an alpha product but i use it every day with no crashes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i want GAIM for OS X!

i thought they said there would be a version out but i havn't seen it...any know anything?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GAIM is also on fink, last I checked.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

GAIM is also on fink, last I checked.

thanks i'll check that out