New Apple Communication Device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    I'm not expecting anything huge ... I mean the event was supposed to be aimed at music, being "New music to [our] ears." I can see it being huge if it had to do somehow with sound or music... like an iPhone for example. But, the fact it's supposed to be hooked up to a Cinema display confuses me. I would love a tablet ... but I think that needs its own event.

EDIT: iCam (as in digital camera - not web cam) seems possible ... but that doesn't have to do with music ... and I think it would be too huge to be introduced at the same time of the new iPods etc at the 28th event.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Also, as far as communication goes, the tablet doesn't make sense ... unless you can connect to the internet from anywhere in the world with it (which, as I mentioned would OBVIOUSLY need its own event), I can't see a tablet with an Airport card as a HUGE communication device - of couse, with an 8 inch screen, you could argue that it could be a more handy device for checking email or stock quotes etc.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    iCam sounds like a great idea. I'm sort of waiting on purchasing a newer digicam in hopes Apple comes up with one. I also do not think we'll see any tablets announced next week. It'll be all iPods, music service, and that's it.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The next version of iTunes is Rendezvous enabled, right? The announcements are supposed to be music to your ears, right? I think it must have something to do with wirelessly streaming music to your stereo, or maybe even just amplified speakers in whichever room you want. When some of us were exiled at Pink Flamingo, we were trying to speculate what a soon to be announced mystery device would be. I guessed iTunes would have the ability to wirelessly send streams of songs to the device in various rooms in your house. Each family member could listen to their own playlist in their chosen room. Of course that device turned out to be iPod, but could my dream be about to come true?

And following Inkhead's lead, that music service was my idea, too.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

How 'bout:

surfing the internet

checking email

browsing a Filemaker database

managing photos in iPhoto

listening to music in iTunes

looking up contact info in Address Book

checking your shedule in iCal

All while holding something small and wonderfully ergonomic while standing, walking, sitting, anytime, anywhere.

I'll take two.

i dunno, a 12" ibook seems to do all that and a lot more.
  • Reply 66 of 81
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

of couse, with an 8 inch screen, you could argue that it could be a more handy device for checking email or stock quotes etc.

Right, so unless you are within range of your Airport network, you won't be able to do any of this. What happens when you leave the home? Sure, you'll still be able to view whatever information you store, but one of the main draws, the Airport connectivity, would be useless.As a result, I still don't see the benefits of having a tablet Mac, especially since you can surf the 'Net, check email, etc, etc with a normal Mac desktop/laptop.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

As an open question to everyone, what would you actually use the tablet for on a daily, at-home, basis? I've tried thinking of what I'd do with it and can't come up with any worthwhile ideas.

Quite honestly the whole tablet thing right now is a solution looking for a problem in my mind. I cant see many uses for it that a good laptop will not do better. The thing I would like is a PDA sized tablet device. That I could have a use for, but not this 8" or 15" jobbers people are putting out. An 8" tablet is still too big to stick in your pocket and carry around. If I am going to be lugging something like that around I'll stick to my Powerbook and get more functionality. Now take a 5"x 3"x .75" device that is all screen, has bluetooth, 802.11a,b,g and runs OSX and other like software. NOW THAT I CAN USE.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

Quite honestly the whole tablet thing right now is a solution looking for a problem in my mind.

I hear that a lot, but it's true of all computer devices really. We're all so used to our computers/mobiles/mp3 players etc we forget that we don't *need* them.

Tablets are the same. Once we get a proper one - not a laplet - pretty soon people will wonder how they managed without.

I think your ideal tablet is about right, though I'd happily use an 8" one.

As for the new device, I think its very likely a rebadged SE P800.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

You called?

Not on the 28th, not at that presentation (a very very strong supposition; I ain't Steve and he could intro the 970 if he wanted). I may feel more voluble after the 28th though.

..."

---bump---

So, are you feeling voluble today, Harald?
  • Reply 70 of 81
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

---bump---

So, are you feeling voluble today, Harald?

Yes, Harald. What say you? Should we all run out and buy new iPods on Friday (or the Friday after, for non-US residents)? Is the new iPod the only Apple digital lifestyle device we'll be able to spend our money on this year? Or can we reasonably hold out hope for a purely hypothetical iPhone or "communicating device"?

Ah, The Waiting Game...

Escher
  • Reply 71 of 81
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    ThaiMoof:

No.

Escher:

No.

No.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Yes, Harald. What say you? Should we all run out and buy new iPods on Friday (or the Friday after, for non-US residents)? Is the new iPod the only Apple digital lifestyle device we'll be able to spend our money on this year? Or can we reasonably hold out hope for a purely hypothetical iPhone or "communicating device"?

Ah, The Waiting Game...

Escher

• Reply 72 of 81
    thai moofthai moof Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

ThaiMoof:

No.

Escher:

No.

No.

Yes.

Ahhhh....A man of few words! Yet you say so much!
  • Reply 73 of 81
    kumrabaikumrabai Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I don't think so. But who knows?

I think the silliest thing is this constant wish for an iPhone. It simply isn't going to happen. I've posted before, but phones are in themselves unprofitable for the service providers. They make their money on the service plans. Apple, since it is not a manufacturer, would have to buy the devices from a company that does. No profits in phones. Too many systems, too many regulations. Bad idea me thinks.

Are you kidding us? See, there's a company called Nokia. It makes phones. It's huge. Innovation drives it, but so do profits . . . .
  • Reply 74 of 81
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

Are you kidding us? See, there's a company called Nokia. It makes phones. It's huge. Innovation drives it, but so do profits . . . .

It's called Nokia and has contracts with virtually every cell phone provider. It's not like Apple can make a phone and money will start growing on Cupertino's trees. They'd have to get contracts with everyone and... well, I think Apple has better ways to make money. And knowing Apple products, it would have to be a very expensive phone. If you want a cool looking one, grab a Sony Ericson.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    thai moofthai moof Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

It's called Nokia and has contracts with virtually every cell phone provider. It's not like Apple can make a phone and money will start growing on Cupertino's trees. They'd have to get contracts with everyone and... well, I think Apple has better ways to make money. And knowing Apple products, it would have to be a very expensive phone. If you want a cool looking one, grab a Sony Ericson.

Sorry, but your timing on this is perfect. Apple just signed up the top five record companies (now, more to come later) to allow music downloads - this from the industry that abhors this type of thing. If they can do this, getting phone provider contracts is not really a problem. However, I think your point is not correct anyway. Apple doesn't need a contract with anyone to sell a mobile phone. They make a triband GSM phone, and sell that just about anywhere in the world. It is standard in Asia, and happens a lot in Europe - the service and the phone are separate items. I would love to see Apple provide a solution to mobile phones/pdas/tablet computer that they did with the MP3 player - something more, that really looks at how people use these devises so they can use them better. I wouldn't sell Apple short on this.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

They make a triband GSM phone, and sell that just about anywhere in the world. It is standard in Asia, and happens a lot in Europe - the service and the phone are separate items. I would love to see Apple provide a solution to mobile phones/pdas/tablet computer that they did with the MP3 player - something more, that really looks at how people use these devises so they can use them better. I wouldn't sell Apple short on this.

Totally agree. Furthermore, Jobs & Co can only afford to go after proven and sizeable markets and they have demonstrated this in the last couple of years, particularly with the release of iPod and iTunes.

The communications market is massive and an untapped opportunity - it is simply begging for an Apple product release. The Apple loyalists alone are a sizeable enough market to make it worthwhile. An Apple mobile communication device featuring Triband GSM -- bring it on. Only hope Apple have their ducks in a row as far as a Windows release in concerned.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:

Apple just signed up the top five record companies (now, more to come later) to allow music downloads - this from the industry that abhors this type of thing. If they can do this, getting phone provider contracts is not really a problem. I would love to see Apple provide a solution to mobile phones. I wouldn't sell Apple short on this.

There are far more cell phone service providers than "major" record companies. It requires more work. Could it be done? Yes. Will Apple care to do it? Probably not. Cell phones are CHEAP, and you only buy them once a year, the fastest. The music thing was totally different. That's a highly lucrative market.

Apple would be better off dedicating their efforts on some device that makes more money (like the iPod) but cell phones... forget it. The tablet seems more feasible or some other mainstream consumer device, like a digicam.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

The tablet seems more feasible or some other mainstream consumer device, like a digicam.

Are you implying that a "tablet" is a "mainstream consumer device" like a "digicam" is? That is a pretty far-out statement. Mobile phones are clearly "mainstream consumer devices" just as clearly as tablets are not (certainly not at this point in time). IMO, a tablet makes much less sense than a smart phone. But who the hell knows anyway? People hanging out here certainly don't.

Escher
  • Reply 79 of 81
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Are you implying that a "tablet" is a "mainstream consumer device" like a "digicam" is? That is a pretty far-out statement. Mobile phones are clearly "mainstream consumer devices" just as clearly as tablets are not (certainly not at this point in time). IMO, a tablet makes much less sense than a smart phone. But who the hell knows anyway? People hanging out here certainly don't.

Escher

No, you got it wrong. Tablet is not a mainstream consumer device, digicam is. However, in time, (when Apple does it right) will become mainstream. Cell phones are a different category, and their nature is quite different than a tablet. You buy a tablet and keep it for 3 years, maybe even longer. Cell phones wouldn't leave apple with as much money as a tablet would. Cell phones are cheap. You kinda pay for the service and the hardware is almost free ya know. Could apple do it? Yeah, will they? Fat chance. A phone doesn't really make sense.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I still think Apple's plan isn't to make a cell phone necessarily, but they're supposedly trying to get the cell phone makers to create a standard adapter so the guts of a cell phone could be plugged into many different devices. That way anyone could make the shell of a phone and plug a Nokia 'phone device' into the shell. Also, obviously, a tablet, portable, PDA or whatever device anyone makes could also have a slot for the standard 'phone device' making it net-able.