gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

*BOGGLE* return of NEXT

kroehl

what boggle do you mean?
  • Reply 22 of 770
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think if we are going to see Panther at WWDC the chances of a 64-bit machine are pretty darn good if it is a fact that panther is a 64-bit OS.

Just a thought?????

If this 64-bit mumblings are true we may see a PowerMac announcement, or if we are lucky they will be available then. That is of course if panther is ahead of schedule and totally ready at WWDC.
  • Reply 23 of 770
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    We will hear that the Apple Music store has been running on Panther and the IBM 970 since its launch and has performed flawlessly. That you need that kind of memory (some large amount of GB of RAM) to maintain the DB in memory and perform all the searches.
  • Reply 24 of 770
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

No consumer hardware for cert.

I think we will at least see an eMac revision before WWDC.

Probably not during the conference, but certainly before.
  • Reply 25 of 770
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    If, in addition to the 64-bitness of Panther (and the 970), a full implementation of Clustering (via Rendezvous/IP) is announced, there would be ample reason to prepare developers that then want to write supporting code for legacy macs (including processor upgrade cards) for use as remote cpu render farms, or optimized network sharing.

New iPod game developers might get fresh info on the new models' capabilities.

Inclusion of a FW to USB2 cable with the new iPods also suggests that some developers might get cracking on USB2 support and wider PC-device compatability.

New Bluetooth-enabled tablets or pen-entry systems (Inkwell awaits) might also be a practical addition to the program.

And my personal bet is that "home entertainment hub" devices ranging from the iPod Dock with line-out to full PVR (TiVO buyout rumours notwithstanding) would be the next logical "iDevice" that miscellaneous supporting code might need development on.

ymmv.
  • Reply 26 of 770
    they will realease panther. hopefully 64 bit. as for the emac, they should just dump it from the line, its ugly and slow. who knows, maybe they will offer some offer to the developers and small buisnesses, like buy 2 powermacs and get $500.00 back. jsut speculating here.
  • Reply 27 of 770
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    new PowerMac.. (hope not)
  • Reply 28 of 770
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The Power Macs are not only the big image machine for Apple (some will say iMac but complete ad agencies and render farms full of Power Macs are what Apple really cares about) they are the high margin machines as well. Sales of Power Macs have declined steadily for three years now. Price cuts, speed bumps, feature bumps all have done nothing to spur sales. The "waiting for Photoshop or Quark to come out on X" is BS smoke screen crap for we know our power machines suck. Powerbooks are selling cause the coolness factor of the machine makes up for the paltry speed and architecture. Why do you think this is the year of the portable? It's to make up for awful Power Mac sales. Well Wall Street, stockholders and the board want and need a boost to Power Mac sales and they know as well that it cannot happen with the G4. Where am I going with this? WWDC was moved to the Moscone Center for a reason...the Developers conference was moved back a month for a reason. New processor...new Power Mac. It just adds up.
  • Reply 29 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by little mouse

they will realease panther. hopefully 64 bit. as for the emac, they should just dump it from the line, its ugly and slow. who knows, maybe they will offer some offer to the developers and small buisnesses, like buy 2 powermacs and get $500.00 back. jsut speculating here.

I doubt that. Did you forget the "E" in eMac stands for education? The reason for the eMac is that it's still pretty inExpensive to make for apple to sell to educators.
  • Reply 30 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

The Power Macs are not only the big image machine for Apple (some will say iMac but complete ad agencies and render farms full of Power Macs are what Apple really cares about) they are the high margin machines as well. Sales of Power Macs have declined steadily for three years now. Price cuts, speed bumps, feature bumps all have done nothing to spur sales. The "waiting for Photoshop or Quark to come out on X" is BS smoke screen crap for we know our power machines suck. Powerbooks are selling cause the coolness factor of the machine makes up for the paltry speed and architecture. Why do you think this is the year of the portable? It's to make up for awful Power Mac sales. Well Wall Street, stockholders and the board want and need a boost to Power Mac sales and they know as well that it cannot happen with the G4. Where am I going with this? WWDC was moved to the Moscone Center for a reason...the Developers conference was moved back a month for a reason. New processor...new Power Mac. It just adds up.

Let's hope so. I need a seriously competitive (cutting edge 3D machine) PowerMac from Apple soon, or I'll have spend my money on a Dual, or Quad Xeon machine.
  • Reply 31 of 770
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

possibly a second revision imac?

Apple knows something we don't (obviously). Their last line of iMacs was dubbed as their "Spring line." Well isn't that funny, since "Summer" starts just before the WWDC. So, yes, we'll likely see a new line of iMacs unveiled at the WWDC among a TON of other goodies.
  • Reply 32 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Apple knows something we don't (obviously). Their last line of iMacs was dubbed as their "Spring line." Well isn't that funny, since "Summer" starts just before the WWDC. So, yes, we'll likely see a new line of iMacs unveiled at the WWDC among a TON of other goodies.

I think that spring thing was just a comment on what time of year it was and it meant nothing. At least I hope so. I have no use for another small speed increment in a line I have no use for.

I think the iMac is fine now. Announcing a PowerMac at WWDC and then adding 970 iMac's after would help sales. I think one more G4 is a waste of time for Apple. I don't think they (Apple) would likely sell to many at this juncture.
  • Reply 33 of 770
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    iMac revision B? You must have been sleeping cause ur a few years late on that update...

Anyhoo WWDC 970 is all i hope for and if we don't get it I'm sure some other processor will be announced

Quote:

Panther yes as for emac thats the most ridiculous comment ever...

Quote:

Sorry but umm I don't remember apple ever upgrading there computers every four months...except for that powerbook update but tahts a different story.

No new imac at least not until macworld
  • Reply 34 of 770
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Maybe the Airport Base Station will be ratified at WWDC, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 35 of 770
    Quote:

We'll likely see a new line of iMacs unveiled at the WWDC among a TON of other goodies.

Like what else?
  • Reply 36 of 770
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think that spring thing was just a comment on what time of year it was and it meant nothing. At least I hope so.

Apprently you don't read Apple's Press Releases.

Link: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/feb/04imac.html

Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

Sorry but umm I don't remember apple ever upgrading there computers every four months...except for that powerbook update but tahts a different story.

No new imac at least not until macworld

If you read the above referenced Press Release, you will see that the current line of iMacs were announced on February 4th. June 23rd minus February 4th = 11 days short of a six month spread.
  • Reply 37 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Is it too early or just plain too obnoxious to start a WWDC countdown? Since the new 970 Powermacs are expected to be announced, I am counting down the days. May as well be obnoxious here as well......

49 days!!!
  • Reply 38 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
  • Reply 39 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

You would have to outdo my countdown.
  • Reply 40 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Kurt, just wanted to make sure everybody noticed. By the way, all pics to a complete countdown is lying on my server http://home.online.no/~mortehof/wwdc/ so you can add to the countdown if I don't remember. And yes I have some time too spare