iTunes for Windows...

lixlix
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, so the launch of the Music Store has many people wondering if/when iTunes 4 will make it to Windows and how this will affect the Mac.

Well, how about iTunes 4 for Windows only being available with the purchase of an Windows iPod? Apple could use all of that nasty serial number/WPA tech available in WinXP to stop piracy and mean that you have to buy an Apple product to get the software!

Obviously it would keep non-iPodders away from the Music Store, but what do you think?

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i think apple should make iTunes 4 for windows

i think they shouldn't make it serialed in anyway, free like the mac

i think that it woudl encourage iPod buyers

i think it would help apple

apple is a software company, they make amazing software, nuff said

i would agree with you to bundle it with iPods but apple has a hard enough time getting peopel to start usign it then sell it it (so to speak)

most PC users are usign what software came with their computer or what software they were taught to use
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    What about the interface? Wouldn't Apple be limited in what iTunes could look like because of Windows?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm not sure if they SHOULD make it, but I agree it isn't the worst of ideas.

I DO think, however, that there should be a charge for it (except for iPod users). A nominal shareware-type fee of about 50$ (not that 50$ is nominal, but anyway). That would reinforce something of the opinion that the cool stuff is free only for the cool guts.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    Re: the interface

QuickTime managed to make it to Windows although some may say it didn't travel very well!

IIRC, QuickTime contains a port of the Mac Toolbox API's to Windows. I'm sure iTunes would be written from the ground up, maybe they could use a crossplatform toolkit like Qt (Adobe has used this for Photoshop Album).

iTunes on OS 9 looked very much like iTunes on OS X for a while, complete with Aqua windows controls until they got replaced in iTunes 3. Given the availability of Aqua-like skins for Win XP, I don't think it would be too hard for Apple to recreate the Aqua and brushed metal apperance under Windows.

Now, which version of brushed metal would they use?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My guess is that the music store will end up with a web interface for PeeCee users, and there will be no iTunes for Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    There is no longer a seperate iPod for Windows users, so bundling it wouldn't be that important/needed.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,212member
    Fellas this is a No Brainer.

Not only should Apple make an iTunes for Windows they should approach this as their Crown Jewel of PC apps.

The immense profits that Apple can make iTSM is phenomenal! Apple must capture the PC market for this. And do so quickly. YOU will benefit from this as a Mac user. Tired of paying so much for Macs...then entice your PC friends to take a look at iTunes and the service. The more money they spend the less Apple is reliant on charging such premiums on Mac hardware.

We've only scratched the service for what Apple has here potentially. Music is only one form of Digital Data that can be sent. More to come(I know...sounds kormacish doesn't it)