iTunes 4 updated interface (w/ images)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
There seems to be some dissent about the updated interface in iTunes.

I would like to use this informal poll to gather your opinions on it.

I personally welcome the change. The buttons are now up to date with iMovie's new look. For those of you crying havoc about the "new" flattened look, remember what happened to the standard Aqua "gel cap" button and the checkbox and radio button when 10.2 was released. They were fattened not unlike these buttons have been. I'm guessing that Apple has been going for a crisper look of Aqua here. The new buttons (like the updated gel caps) are much more sharper to the eye. After looking back at the old I now realize how blurry they looked (again, like the gel caps).

To help you decide, here are four images. The first two are iTunes 3 and iTunes 4 as normal. The second two are iTunes 3 and iTunes4 with some highlighted widgets.

iTunes 3 normal:

iTunes 4 normal

iTunes 3 highlighted widgets:

iTunes 4 highlighted widgets:

Note: yes, I realize this is partly covered in the "does iTunes 4 suck?" thread. This new thread is specifically for the issue of the interface, though, and the poll.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    me likey 4

g
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    new bevels and old widgets would get my vote!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't really see an option I can fraternize with. Like someone else said: I prefer the new bevel but I also prefer the old buttons.

I especially/only dislike the play button, and the back/forward ones. If they had made the play button something more realistic, I wouldn't mind iTunes 4's look one bit.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    It is the Play , Back and forward buttons as well as the volume slider I take issue with. All other changes are fine with iTunes4 but I see an ugly trend with the buttons at apple. I noticed this right away with Safari I was disgusted and now iTunes4 and others.

Ohh well apple used to look cool.

Fellowship
  • Reply 5 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Amazing to find myself agreeing with our develish fellowship for a change.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't care either way. I don't really notice it much.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    For some strange reason, a lot of the text that used to be antialiased in iTunes 3 isn't in iTunes 4 when I run it. I don't, however, see that problem here with these iTunes 4 screen shots.

With my installation the song lists, for example, are all in small bit-mapped-looking text. The text of any particular item in the list becomes anti-aliased while editing that item, then goes back to pixelated when I'm done editing.

I was thinking that this was a first-release kind of bug that everyone might be seeing. Wonder why this is user/machine specific?

I suppose I can throw out my current copy of iTunes 4, reinstall it, and see what happens.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

For some strange reason, a lot of the text that used to be antialiased in iTunes 3 isn't in iTunes 4 when I run it. I don't, however, see that problem here with these iTunes 4 screen shots.

I think it has to do with where you set your maximum anti-aliasing font size. The font size is smaller in iTunes 4, so you may need to reduce the max in your general system prefs to get AA to happen.

I personally just wish they'd get their act together on the frickin stoplights. How many different versions are there now?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the only thing I think looks better in 3 is the BURN nuke icon
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think it has to do with where you set your maximum anti-aliasing font size.

Bingo.

Mine upgraded with no troubles here at all.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, looking at it again, I do like the iTunes 4 appearance more, but some of its buttons might benefit some people's tastes by being a tad smaller (but not much).
  • Reply 12 of 15
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I like 4 much better. Plus, it has the yin-yen shadow swoosh through the buttons. Good karma for this whole design. (buttons, no stealing, etc.)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I really like the look of iTunes 3 better, but in a week i'll forget i ever cared and be used to the new ones and stuff, the green logo however may take more time
  • Reply 14 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My second favorite part is the volume slider. Yes, I know a lot of people hate it... but I think it looks cool

Favorite part is the icon!