Dreamweaver and text (grrrrr)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been playing around with Dreamweaver designing a website but having a nightmare with text. What looks alright in "layout" mode looks NOTHING like what it looks like on a browser. How can this be? Anyways, the question is, how do you guys "layout" your text ? I am currently using Fireworks and then saving as Gif...but there's got to be other ways(besides dealing w/ code). Your help's appreciated.

Gilsch

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I have been playing around with Dreamweaver designing a website but having a nightmare with text. What looks alright in "layout" mode looks NOTHING like what it looks like on a browser. How can this be? Anyways, the question is, how do you guys "layout" your text ? I am currently using Fireworks and then saving as Gif...but there's got to be other ways(besides dealing w/ code). Your help's appreciated.

Gilsch

Best way to get text to look like u want is to use code.

what does fireworks and saving as gif have to do with text layout.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    francisg3francisg3 Posts: 168member
    If you could post a URL, we could take a look at what you're doing wrong.

Other than that, only put your text in tables, not layers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    O and A: I didn't like how Dreamweaver handled my text so I resorted to doing the text in fireworks and saving it as a gif and inserting it where the text would go. I understand code would be safer for dealing with text, but if this is any indication, I doubt even code would give you anything close to the options dtp/layout programs do.

Maybe I should try Freeway as it supposedly handles text like a dtp app. as I'm not going to learn code at this stage lol.

Francis: I use the layout mode in Dreamweaver, so I am using tables. Still, there is a size difference of what I see on Dreamweaver and what ultimately appears on a browser. Here's a link to the page I made....please remember it's the first site I've ever made(first time using dreamweaver/fireworks too).

http://www.fastcashdaily.com

Edit: typos
  • Reply 4 of 4
    francisg3francisg3 Posts: 168member
    You mean I can get Fast Cash each day?! Have you e-mailed me before?

If you promise me that you'll never spam anyone, here's your answer:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/dr...s_overview.htm

You'll have more control over your type sizes, and typefaces.

There's somewhat of a steep learning curve, but it's a short hill. You'll have it down within an hour. Good luck.