New Post Ghost Of AI

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
This is starting to happen to me more and more (still not too much but annoying) where I post somethign and i see it on the actual page that it has been posted, and then I check later and that post doesn't exist. My post count is also back to where it was.

This hasnt' been a problem because until now i figured i could have just been crazy and going crazier, but someone actually replied to what i posted and then both of our posts were gone!

i have no idea why, i see no pattern, i dont know if that happens to others often but somebody please tell me why or fix it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    If the post is something ridiculous like those "IBL" posts or something inflammatory, the post may be deleted at the moderator or administrator's discression.

If you made a serious, legitimate post that seems to have disappeared without provocation, make a note of where it was and what the general content of it was and let us know about it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If the post is something ridiculous like those "IBL" posts or something inflammatory, the post may be deleted at the moderator or administrator's discression.

If you made a serious, legitimate post that seems to have disappeared without provocation, make a note of where it was and what the general content of it was and let us know about it.

it was in GE the thread 'i dont care that you dont care' or something like that. haha it could have been deleted because it was off topic but it wasn't THAT bad that i think it would ahve been

haha it was just after matsu's post joking around i told him that i wanted the 30seconds of my life back that i wasted reading his post...i said he could pay me $50 to my paypal account

then somone replied and theirs was gone too. i mean if a mod deleted it thats cool i am not giong to complain but i didn't know if it was a post ghost or what happened

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yeah, comments like that can be taken the wrong way and bring the thread down pretty quickly. That's probably why it was deleted.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

That's probably why it was deleted.

I think the deletion of a post should not be performed ever.

Especially in the case that a user posts something stupid. Make him make an ass out of himself.

Also, as this is a community, I tend to think that the content of the thread should truly be the content the community wants it to have. If it makes the thread derail, there is the closing option.

If a user posts something extremely rude, I think the better option would be to MODIFY the post, deleting the content only, and stating why: offensive/illegal material.

I think this deserves some debate.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I deleted some posts in the thread in question. I've done it a few times in the past as well.

My take on it, is I hate to see a good thread turn into shyte because of a dozen ridiculous posts. Someone posts something completely asinine, a couple others chime in, flames ensue, and a perfectly good thread is toast. (example only, not saying this thread was exactly as such)

Another example is a thread a week ago or so, when a member criticized a mod for moving a thread. I made a comment about it, and the result was half a page of "don't ruin my thread you ignorant little punk!!", "piss off bitch", etc, etc, etc.... I deleted a good dozen posts from that thread, because it was a GOOD thread and I did not want to see it locked or deleted entirely.

Even in this example, things were worked out to the satisfaction of all sides via PMs, and the thread was allowed to continue. It would have been a shame to lock the thread and have to start it over again, where there were a good 25 quality posts in it.

I will drop the members a quick PM when I'm doing this to let them know. It's not a problem most of the time. ast3r3x started this thread because I was slow getting a message to him about it. I have since done so, and it's all good.

But of course, feel free to contribute your thoughts on the matter. That's what the forum is for, after all.

• Reply 6 of 15
    Point taken. Still, I feel there's something wrong with trying to change history. I would think it better to just edit out the offensive content, almightitbe two more clicks.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Point taken. Still, I feel there's something wrong with trying to change history. I would think it better to just edit out the offensive content, almightitbe two more clicks.

I agree... I don't like when posts disappear, even if they are notified by PMs...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    i agree its annoying when posts get deleted but its definatly understanable, i mean mine was off topic so it was deserved

i was just wondering because i've see it happen to more then just my posts and i am not sure if i'm going crazy and imagining things, there is a post ghost or now if they are deleted...now i know they were hopefully deleted

i have no problem if u delete my posts beause they sometimes go off topic

good job murbot keep up the work
  • Reply 9 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Maybe notification that a post has been deleted in the thread? Something like: "Post deleted due to (some reason here)" just so we know that we're not going crazy.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    but, torifile...

In my not so professional opinion, you're all crazy!!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

but, torifile...

you're right. I've got appointments available later this week if anyone wants to see me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

but, torifile...

haha everyoen but you right?

Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Maybe notification that a post has been deleted in the thread? Something like: "Post deleted due to (some reason here)" just so we know that we're not going crazy.

i would be annoyed if i had to do that as an admin
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

But it sure would help you up that count!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

haha everyoen but you right?

Yes, everyone but me is crazy. Isn't that obvious?

And, they wouldn't have to manually type the "post deleted due to..." This is php and mysql we're working with. It'd be a relatively simple thing to change the delete option to include a couple generic reasons and it would just stick that in the field instead of the original post. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could have something whipped up in about 10 minutes. (Making it work with the rest of vB, though, could be a little more challenging.)
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It'd be a relatively simple thing to change the delete option to ...

BWAHAHA Good one.

Sorry, guys, if posts disappear without an explanation in the thread, there's a darn good chance that the moderator/administrator clearly thought that it was so bad that it should never have been made at all. Actual deletions are rare.

The vast majority of the time, content is censored by editing.

It's really not a widespread problem, folks, and is certainly not enough to warrant me writing a hack for alternative "deleted" tools for the moderators and testing to be sure it doesn't break a dozen other things in the process. Thanks for the offer, though, torifile.

I'll reiterate what I said before, though. If you believe your post has been deleted by mistake or you would like a reason for its deletion, take a note of where it was and what you had said and contact the moderators of that forum.