Help me decide - cheap(is) 20gb Mac or cheaper 20gb Win iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've decided to pick up a 20gb iPod while they are still available. I prefer the old style controls and I'm liking the fact that they are being sold off at a discount...

So, should I get an unopened Mac iPod for $425 or an unopened Windows iPod (to convert for use with a Mac) for $380?

Has anyone experienced or heard of problems arising from converting a Windows iPod to use with a Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    get the cheaper one
  • Reply 2 of 5
    That's kind of where I was going...an added plus is I'd be able to get it today
  • Reply 3 of 5
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    They're functionally identical, so just get the cheaper one.

The only real differences are that the Windows model comes with a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable (so you'll need to buy a 6-to-6 for your Mac), a copy of Musicmatch Jukebox (which you won't need) and it's formatted in NTFS.

When you apply the iPod 1.3 Update, just choose the 'Restore' option, and it'll format the iPod to Mac. Easy enough.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

They're functionally identical, so just get the cheaper one.

The only real differences are that the Windows model comes with a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable (so you'll need to buy a 6-to-6 for your Mac), a copy of Musicmatch Jukebox (which you won't need) and it's formatted in NTFS.

When you apply the iPod 1.3 Update, just choose the 'Restore' option, and it'll format the iPod to Mac. Easy enough.

Nope, I own a Converted Windows iPod, it comes w/ a 6-to-6 pin cable, but instead come w/ a 6-to-4 pin adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the responses...the bad news (for me) is that the cheaper one had been sold by the time I got to CompUSA this evening.

I might shop around a bit more...there seem to be a lot of iPods on eBay all of a sudden