The Next Step? iMovie Store?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Apple's new efforts with MPEG4 video, does anyone think that Apple might incorporate their iTunes Music Store technology for movies?

Of course, broadband would be required. I wonder though, how much would a 2-hour-long movie be in size encoded in MPEG4 at DVD quality? 100MB? 200MB? If it's under 300MB, it's reasonable for broadband.

For "previews", they'd use the same old trailers they've had on their site for years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    It's the next big step. But it would be QuickTime that evolves into the store.. with some integration to iDVD.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Ah yes! iDVD. I forgot about that little app.

1. Download MPEG4 high-quality movies using the iMovies Store

2. Preview trailers for thousands of movies

3. Unlimited personal burning using iDVD for play on your home DVD player

4. ??

5. Profit!

Of course, for DVD burning, you'd need to convert those MPEG4's into MPEG2 so that a normal DVD player could read them.

This step would need to be seemless and lossless. Apple would need faster processors so that it doesnt take an inordinate amount of time to encode and burn (PPC970?).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, if you factor in the whole digital hub thing, along with the fact that broadband is getting more and more popular and "everywhere", processors are getting faster, hard drives are getting larger, Apple is really good at making this sort of thing happen, etc. then yeah, I could see that being an option someday. Maybe not even THAT far down the road?

It's all coming together.

As cool as the previous 3-4 years have been (and they have), stuff like yesterday makes me - despite my recent thread here about "has the coolness peaked?" - VERY excited and even more happy and proud to be a Mac user.

I think that perhaps the "oh wow" eye-candy of the early fruit-colored, curvy and see-through iEra has certainly settled down a bit on the hardware end. The things from Apple that have excited me most in the past 6-9 months have been in the form of software and the OS itself.

I REALLY, REALLY like sitting down to my Jaguar-equipped iMac and working, playing, etc. It's a total pleasure and I honestly don't even think of it in terms of "using the computer"...how boring, lame and fuddy-duddy-sounding is that?. It's simply this thing with my entire life on it: music, art, information, the people I know, etc.

They do it right. And they do it cool.

• Reply 4 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    we need an iApp to organize movies first
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

we need an iApp to organize movies first

iFlicks!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I think Quicktime and iDVD are adequate for oraganizing movies. It's not like people have hundreds or thousands of movies on their Mac.

Yet...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I think Quicktime and iDVD are adequate for oraganizing movies. It's not like people have hundreds or thousands of movies on their Mac.

Yet...

I think we will have to wait until hard drives get a little bigger, but I thought this same vision as soon as the iTunes Music Store was announced!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    if the iDVD Movie Store gets the same first-day traffic iTMS did,

"we're going to need a bigger (bandwidth) boat"

300Mb per movie x 250,000 downloads per day =

(repeat users filling their library not included)

many a server will be overloaded, methinks.

vcdquality.com ships a boatload of bits now, and with little public profile

an iDMS would be insane and blockbuster would complain
  • Reply 9 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the industry seems to be pushing the Mission Impossible solution...

Disney and others are pushing the self-destructing DVD

like they didn't learn from DiVX,
  • Reply 10 of 10
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Technically, the bandwidth isn't widespread enough yet. A min. of 768Kb/s would be need for a stream to approach DVD quality. Doom9 just did a comparison of several MPEG4 codecs and at 700MB for 2hr movies there are still noticeable artifacts. Although if the MPEG4 streams could be encoded from the source material, the quality would be higher than transcoding from MPEG2, but also have increased costs.

Movies on demand have had limited success in the past. I suspect AOLTW may give companies who attempt this problems. Intertainer.com was shut down a while back because of a legal suit with them. People buy music and listen to them while working on their computer, burn them to CD's, or copy them to mobile players. People don't watch movies on their computer monitors, so they either need a home theather computer, or a DVD burner, or a DVD player that can decode MPEG4 and use a CD burner.

2 hours to download + 30 mins to burn = not as convenient as buying a real dvd from the store down the street. So if it's poorer quality, has 0 bonus features and probably less convenient, it must be significantly cheaper.