How do you use your ipod? Just some usage questions.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm interested in buying the new 10gig version I really like the music store and I'm a big music fan I mean I spend about 75$ a month buying cd's. So now I want to get an ipod but my question is how do you use it for your daily use? Would you say you use it everyday? Another question is do you always have to store the files locally on your mac and then just sync them to your ipod so they are on both places at once? Can I just have the music on my ipod? and take music off of it to burn cd's every once in awhile? I searched the forums over to see if this was started earlier, but I couldn't really find anything I apologize if there's some good info somewhere else on here I havn't found.

PS. tell me when and what part of the day you use yours most? On the way to work, when you get home, I am just wondering.

-thanks in advance.

kraig

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    i use mine about every other day when i am doing work, or when i need to concentrate. every once in a while i use it while i am biking. they work extrmely well, the only prblem i have is if i listen to it while running it sometimes freezes. i have it set up so that half is for my bootable system backup, and the other 5 gig is for my music.

btw, you can take songs off of it to burn, but i think you need a program to do it. go to versiontracker.com, if its not there, its not anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    30 minutes to work.

30 minute workout during the day.

Sometimes an hour walk at lunch instead.

30 minutes from work.

Any car trip over 30 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i use mine to get the ladies.

"is that a thousand songs in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" is what they say.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

[B]I'm interested in buying the new 10gig version I really like the music store and I'm a big music fan I mean I spend about 75$ a month buying cd's. So now I want to get an ipod but my question is how do you use it for your daily use?

I use it to listen to music. I also throw QT movies on it to watch on my iBook when I travel. Right now, on my 20 gig iPod, I have about 3500 songs, some episodes of the West Wing and Buffy, LOTR, and Aliens.

I just got back from a trip.

Quote:

Would you say you use it everyday?

Yes. It and my iBook go just about *everywhere* with me.

Quote:

Another question is do you always have to store the files locally on your mac and then just sync them to your ipod so they are on both places at once? Can I just have the music on my ipod? and take music off of it to burn cd's every once in awhile? I searched the forums over to see if this was started earlier, but I couldn't really find anything I apologize if there's some good info somewhere else on here I havn't found.

You can configure it so that you manually choose which songs go on it. I've never done it before, but I assume that you can simply import your music library onto it and then delete the original files off your hard drive. When you want to listen or burn, you can plug it in and go from there. I know that I don't have ANY mp3s on my iBook (my iTunes library is on my desktop), and I can simply plug my iPod into the iBook and have complete access to all the songs on it.

This was a question I had, as well.

I don't know whether burning from the iPod will work all that well. The hard drive is pretty slow. I imagine it would work fine, though.

Quote:

PS. tell me when and what part of the day you use yours most? On the way to work, when you get home, I am just wondering.

I use mine on and off all day, but primarily in the mornings when I write and prepare for my day. Throughout the day, at work, I'll plug the iPod into some cheapo little unpowered speakers I have and listen to music that way. Works fine.

Hope this helps. Get the iPod. It's a chunk of change, but it's really, REALLY, worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I use mine nearly everyday. To answer your question:

You can just have songs on the ipod and not on your computer. Just make sure you say manually manage your playlists in the iPod prefs (a button shows up in the bottom right corner of iTunes when you've got your iPod selected). Then you can make playlists on the iPod, burn them just like any other playlist, etc. Since the iPod is a firewire drive, speed shouldn't be a problem. It's doable and I've done it, so post back here or pm me if you have more questions. HTH.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I noticed that one guy mentioned that he put half of it as a backup of his system folder and the other for his music. So you can format it into 2 drives almost and back up to it as well?

I'm thinking of getting the 15gig one, here in the middle of may or so, I'm going to phoenix to visit family and they have an applestore there. Hopefully I'll get the money for this website I'm working on before then so I can get. I AM GETTING ONE dammit! one of these days.

Itunes 4 really swayed me I've already bought about 4 full cds on there and a couple of songs.

Somebody go into more detail about using it as a regular firewire hard-drive too. I never knew I could use it for that.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    My 5 gig iPod changed my life.

Took it travelling and on research jaunts and hijacked bar sound systems all over Southern Africa. Take the leads you need.

("No, this is only the reggae PLAYLIST.")

Got a car converter. Obscure 50-minute-long spiritual jazz as you drive through the Great Karoo? Certainly sir.

It got me to my place of work on my bicycle, from there to my girlfriend's for the night, from there home, from there to my place of work... put it on shuffle and holy hell, the juxtopositions were like "What is THIS? I didn't know I had this!"

Stuck it iin my stereo when I got home.

My Pod died before Christmas when the pocket of my jacket filled with water riding home after a rainstorm. I'm going to buy a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    i want to put my digital photgraphs on an ipod- I wonder if the new version witht he usb2 adapater would work. Standard usb on the camera.

-and ipod direct to camera is what im talking about.

cheers