CONFIRMED (Oye) iTunes For Windows On The Way, Eventually

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Some of my friends are going to love that news because they have a PC for school and they just love iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Don't we know this becasue Steve said it during the introduction the other day? While he didn't say iTunes spasificly, he said iTunes Music Store and one implys the other.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    From this job offering

Quote:

US-VA-Richmond-Mac Genius - Short Pump:

Does the thought of working for Apple make you tingle more than those three seconds right after a sneeze?

Key Features:

* Would rather be in the front row of a MacWorld Keynote than have free cable for a year.

* Instinctively straightens the Mac software shelves when shopping at the local computer store.

* Has been able to find Cupertino, CA on a US Map since the age of 12.

Job Description:

* Maintain a fit and healthy Mac mind and oh yeah, have fun. This is Apple after all.

• Reply 4 of 14
    First post!

This actually worries me a little. During a few moments of weakness a couple months ago, I actually considered a PC for my next computer because they're just so damn cheap these days. iTunes is basically the reason I scrapped that idea and went with another Mac. iTunes 4 just seals the deal for me.

I also got my dad to pick up his first Mac, an iMac G4, and that was 100% because of iTunes. He's a music fiend. If 90% of the goodness of the Mac version of iTunes was available on the PC, well, the decision would have been different. He doesn't do digital video, doesn't own a digital camera, won't use iChat, etc.

This is just one man's opinion of course, and I'm certain I don't understand every variable in a major decision like this. I just think this will make at least some people take a second look at those PC ads.

Maybe if they remove iTunes streaming from the PC version...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    How does this help marketshare? I see the obvious connection with a new revenue stream by allowing PC users the ability to buy music from Apple, but couldn't this sort of thing hurt in the long term?

I guess as long as they don't port any more apps to Windows it'll be ok. I just hope iTunes for Windows doesn't suck as bad as Quicktime for Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Hmm...

1) iTunes does Wintel

2) AAC (including Quicktime) goes after Windows Media

3) Apple DRM "Fairplay" moves on Redmond

4) Out-of-browser-netshopping experience gives IE and MS' all out browser approach the finger (a.k.a Web-Services done right)

Is it just me. or is this latest ploy by Mr. Jobs a tad bigger than Keynote taking on Powerpoint, no?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Lessons of warfare:

One big front (or flank) is good, but if one doesn't have that, then many small fronts maybe be stronger.

Panther (64-bit and other things), the 970, Keynote (and possible sibling apps), the iPod, and then iTunes for Windows...

"Isn't science wonderful..."

Screed
  • Reply 8 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    "The more you tighten your grip, Gates, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
  • Reply 9 of 14
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Since there are no plans for iPhoto, iMovie or iDVD for Windows (I think) the iTunes for PCs would just be another standalone app. Easy to download music and transfer to an iPod. But Apple still has a one-up with those other apps and the ability to intergrate with one another. It may, in fact, convince PC users to really consider a Mac because of things they won't be able to do. Just a thought.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Any thoughts on the speculation I've read that MusicMatch (for Windows) may get some tweaking rather than Apple creating an "iTunes for Windows"? Since MusicMatch was the digital music conduit for the last generation of Windows iPods...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Didn't jobs himself say there would be a Windows version of iTunes at the release of their new Music Store? Why the speculation?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Didn't jobs himself say there would be a Windows version of iTunes at the release of their new Music Store? Why the speculation?

As I recall, he didn't say iTunes specifically; only that the music store would be available to Windows users.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Lessons of warfare:

One big front (or flank) is good, but if one doesn't have that, then many small fronts maybe be stronger.

Panther (64-bit and other things), the 970, Keynote (and possible sibling apps), the iPod, and then iTunes for Windows...

As Tyrihans alludes to in his post, iTunes Music Store provides yet another trojan horse for Apple: If you need QuickTime to listen to the content, or even if Apple's download installs it regardless, the music service becomes a vehicle for getting QuickTime on more machines.

Microsoft is not going to like that. Muahahahaha.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

As I recall, he didn't say iTunes specifically; only that the music store would be available to Windows users.

DUH!! How stupid can I get! The original post had a link to the job posting for iTunes for Windows development. I've obviously had one too many kicks in the head.

Color me

And now back to your regularly scheduled AI board activities...