Why George W. Bush will be easily re-elected in 2004

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

WASHINGTON -- Last year three African-Americans running statewide for offices in the same state were all elected, something that has never happened before in any state, even during Reconstruction. The African-Americans are Democrats, and the state is one of those proudly, reliably liberal ones -- Massachusetts, perhaps, or California, right?

Wrong. The state was Texas, and all three winners are Republicans. Their successes suggest how Republicans might make modest progress with African-American voters. Modest progress -- say, 15 percent rather than 8 percent of the African-American vote -- could have large effects.

George Will

Democrats are about to have one of their most loyal voting blocks begin to crack. When this happens, it will be all over.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    Oh God, no.

An extremely right-wing religious fundamentalist with an actual mandate to be the most powerful man in the world.

I can't think of anything more frightening.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    i would say no way in hell......but the democrats seem to be wallowing in their own inertia.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I guess it's time to break out the WOMD.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    good god i hope not.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
  • Reply 6 of 105
    "You want a piece of this?" -Jon Stewart
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Anybody see the Daily Show's foreign policy 'debate' between Governor George W Bush and President George W Bush? They used footage of Bush from the last three years to show how he has gone 180 degrees on foreign policy, use of US troops and 'nation building.' He was even somewhat likable as Governor.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Anybody see the Daily Show's foreign policy 'debate' between Governor George W Bush and President George W Bush? They used footage of Bush from the last three years to show how he has gone 180 degrees on foreign policy, use of US troops and 'nation building.' He was even somewhat likable as Governor.

Heh. I'm waiting on some republican challenger who'll say something like "I thought Bush was a republican! Nation building? Steel tariffs? Massive spending? New government offices and cabinet positions? No apparent domestic policy other than "tax cuts"? Two foreign conflicts?"

Will he be re-elected? Most likely. The democrats make me sick these days, and all I can figure is that their long-term strategy is to give the Bush admin EVERYTHING IT WANTS ON A SILVER FRIGGIN' PLATTER.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    He'll be reelected because he is well liked personally moreso than because of the popularity of his policies. I doubt that we'll see much of a shift in the African American vote from historical trends.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Yeah, well a few planes crashing into building will do that you know.

Nick
  • Reply 11 of 105
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

He'll be reelected because he is well liked personally moreso than because of the popularity of his policies. I doubt that we'll see much of a shift in the African American vote from historical trends.

While I agree with you (if I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone make some claim about "liking" Bush), I've always found this to be the most absurd notion I've ever heard. I mean, how the hell can ANYONE know whether or not they'd like this guy???
  • Reply 12 of 105
    And yet there it is. Opinion polls have always held that he was more popular as a person than his policies ever were, by an appreciable margin for a national politician.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There will be no easy election either way in 2004. The country right now is pretty much 45% Democrats and 45% Republicans, with a few percent in the middle who will vote for a third party and a couple thousand people in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Michigan who will determine the next president.

Democrats already have 100 or so electoral votes wrapped up with NY and CA and the northeast without lifting a finger, and Republicans already have about the same from the Bible belt and the West.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    No way he'll be re-elected.

Oh, and here's that Bush versus Bush video.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    "It's the economy, stupid!"
  • Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

No way he'll be relected.

Oh, and here's that Bush versus Bush video.

That is one stunning piece of video. I would plea that man is allowed to change his mind, but of course, if you become the president, and revoke all that you've said that got you elected, you're seriously misleading, abusing, millions. Stunning. No less.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    BTW: when are the elections coming up? Is it this year or next year?
  • Reply 18 of 105
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

BTW: when are the elections coming up? Is it this year or next year?

its next year... primaries begin this year (the system that supposedly leads to the nomination of a canidate well liked by most of either party, respectively)...
  • Reply 19 of 105
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't care about party politics too much, up here in Canada ours is even more confusing, if rather inconsequential.

However, demographics are interesting.

Could it be that blacks are finally figuring out that democrats don't give a damn about them either? While at the same time, Republicans are figuring out that nothing is better than "me too" when it comes to politicking, and "issues" are secondary whenever you can employ the same puerile fantasy of representation that has worked so well for democrats in minority circles?

Or it could be that blacks have more money than democrat tear jerker politicos would have you believe and they'd like to keep some of it too?
  • Reply 20 of 105
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i think this is obvious... although it hasnt been said... blacks did not elect these republicans, it is a shameful and somewhat sad assumption that they did... white republicans elected these black republicans to office...

in my home town there is a black police chief, the city is in the southeast and is mostly white, though the black population is significant, ie 40% if not higher... why did this man get elected? because both the whites and the blacks voted for the democrat in a strongly democratic city...

its complete bullshit that if you have black republican politicians that it follows exactly that black voters elected them... i would not vote for a white person if i agreed more strongly with say an indian, why should that be true of blacks...

this is just george will (and other republicans) spouting the demise of the two party system, because god knows that everything would be better if everyone agreed on everything...