Broken iBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, a friend of mine has a 700 14" combo iBook.

a few hours ago her little sister stepped on the open screen and the bottom half popped out of the casing... Basically it is like you tried to open the computer the full 180°. From the description she gave me over the phone the screen is fine, only the top casing is broken. The cable for the screen might be a little loose as the screen blanked out at some point, but she said it only has happened once. While still functional, in order to maximize the life-span of the computer she wants to get it fixed. The computer is still under warranty and I'm sure she could send it in to get fixed, but I don't think this problem is covered under the warranty. How much would something like this cost to get fixed? Is there any way to get it done "under warranty"? I doubt the university would cover it because she bought it from an apple store (this is her first apple since she was in like 2nd grade).

Anyone have any advice?

TIA

-Paul

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well, she could try bringing it to an apple store and just see what they say. over the 'net it's almost impossible to estimate how much it would cost to get this fixed, as it's hard to know what's actually wrong.

they might fix it if it's still under warrenty, just tell her to be nice about it, and don't lie to the people there. they know what "normal" wear and tear look like, and this ain't it. however, polite begging can go a long way towards getting your machine fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    my guess $300
  • Reply 3 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

my guess $300

for just the case?!? \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    How the hell did her sister step on it? I'm not unsympathetic here...but Jesus, this is a pretty significant investement. It shouldn't BE in a position to get stepped on.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    yeah i dono... she is in VT right now, I'll get the whole story when she gets back...

she is kinda upset by the whole thing... she loves her iBook \
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ok its not as bad as i thought....

here are some pics...

• Reply 7 of 16
    okay... well things got much worse...

the iBook still hasnt been fixed...

but it fell from her bed last night.... now the hinge is broken and the backlight is broken...

how much would it take to get this repaired?

is it worth it?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh lord... why was it on her bed, and why did she drop it?

It will be expensive to fix... probably a good $500 at least. Hopefully this will teach her to be more careful with something as fragile and expensive as a laptop. The iBook is sturdy... but it can't stand up to the abuse your friend can dish out apparently!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Backlights are very expensive ... one of the most expensive things about a laptop actually. Sorry to hear about this
  • Reply 10 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

okay... well things got much worse...

the iBook still hasnt been fixed...

but it fell from her bed last night.... now the hinge is broken and the backlight is broken...

how much would it take to get this repaired?

is it worth it?

God, some people shouldn't be allowed to own such nice stuff. Poor little iBook. Anyway, if the backlight is out it may not be worth dishing out the cash. The credit card she bought it with may have some sort of purchase protection. Mine, for example, says that if ANYTHING happens to it within the first 90 days, they'll replace it. I mean anything. Drop it in the toilet. Step on it. Whatever. It's just a normal platinum card, so maybe she can check out what her cc offers.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Oh lord... why was it on her bed, and why did she drop it?

because it is a laptop, and she uses it in bed... the problem is that she has the top bunk.... \

she falls asleep with it all the time and she usually puts it away... but it was a bad night for her... (don't feel like getting into it--not important, she realizes it was a stupid thing and she just wants it to get resolved)

Quote:

Backlights are very expensive ... one of the most expensive things about a laptop actually. Sorry to hear about this

I know

Quote:

Anyway, if the backlight is out it may not be worth dishing out the cash. The credit card she bought it with may have some sort of purchase protection. Mine, for example, says that if ANYTHING happens to it within the first 90 days, they'll replace it. I mean anything. Drop it in the toilet. Step on it. Whatever. It's just a normal platinum card, so maybe she can check out what her cc offers.

She is checking with her father if it could somehow be covered... but it does not look good.

Try and be nice with the comments tho. This could not have happened at a worse time, it is finals and she has papers to write. She was lucky I lent her my PB so she could use the iBook as the startup disk for a paper she needed to write today... (being woken up at 5AM is not fun) but i am going home tomorrow, and she cant borrow it forever... so any other possible suggestions you guys may have would be helpful... right now she is using her roommate's IBM laptop, and it will do for the work she needs, but she is still out a laptop that was supposed to last like 3 years...

it was a stupid accident, she knows that. she doesnt need to hear it from you guys...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I'm guessing around $500 for the plastics, if the LCD glass is ok.

But, since she later caused damaged to electronics within the system I'm guessing about $750 for the repair.

Apple has flat rates for these types of repairs.

Plastics are cheaper than components. Components are cheaper than the LCD.

If you get one level of repair, the others below it are included.

The labor alone will be around $250.

If she or her father has homeowners insurance it may be covered.

She can call AppleCare and they'll give her an exact quote. That, or she can take it to an AppleStore and they'll do the same.

Sucks.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    to my knowledge the LCD is not broken... i mean if she gets a strong light on it, it works fine... the other problem is with the hinge.. it is really broken... the screen bevel can move parallel to the ibook when closed...

so $500 to fix the backlight and electronics of the display (the computer is fine) and $250 to fix the plastics and $250 for the labor?

I think i need to talk her into getting the low end 12" iBook for the same amount... how much do you think the broken one will fetch on ebay? \ (she will not be pleased)

oh and thanks to everyone for the help, it is appreciated...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    skalmanskalman Posts: 42member
    Hi,

Apple has fixed rates on customer abuse dmg. In Europe you have to pay 900 Euro for an abuse dmg on the screen for an iBook plus 30 Euro for shipping and handeling.

Go in to the refurbished store and get a new one with 1 year warranty for the same price.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Funny timing, I read this thread minutes after opening, and setting aside, my Safeware policy renewal.

I think I might have to give it a bit more thought now. Thanks.

If she had a policy from these guys, it'd be completely covered, BTW.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    she should take this as a sign that she's destined to own a PB.