How do you make nice OS X icons?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been trying for SO long, messing around with Photoshop and AppleWorks and GraphicConverter, but I absolutely cannot make OS X icons. I always end up with a white square in the background and I have no idea how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I recomend Iconographer.

It allows you to edit the full 8-bit alpha mask in its own editor or to paste one in.

That said, I'm moving this to Software.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    http://www.xicons.com/software.php

Has a list of progs...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I second that for Iconographer. It's a sweet app. Needs to be Cocoa, though. Can't have everything.

Additionally, if you have the Developer tools installed, there is a program called IconComposer in /Developer/Applications/. It works, but I still reccomend Iconographer (which also has the capability to create OS 9/Windows files and such.)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    michaelm8000michaelm8000 Posts: 297member
    Just use apples IconComposer. It is so strait farward. Iconograffer gives me a headach when ever I have to use it (witch is when I want to get an icon into Photoshop).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michaelm8000

Just use apples IconComposer. It is so strait farward. Iconograffer gives me a headach when ever I have to use it (witch is when I want to get an icon into Photoshop).

nice to see you around here dude

i use PhoPho Shop 5.0 LE, maybe an illustrator demo in there, then I use Apple's IconComposer, and all bets are off
  • Reply 7 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I get the ultimate results with kinetic creations export icon.

There is nothing more simple than this app.

here is the link

I also recommend can combine icons.