$599 refurbished eMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless. If only this were the pricing for new models

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbon2

Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless. If only this were the pricing for new models

$599 for a true-to-life G4 capable of running OS X proficiently. Cheaper than many late-model iMac G3s and honestly, I am yet to run across a stick that can beat it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I can't wait for the new/updated models if the rumormill is correct.

What do you guys think about the eMac?

Personally, I find it to be a powerful (on a power/price comparison with other Apple models) desktop for people on a budget and first time Mac users.

If they include the Radeon 7500 or even the GF4MX in the next revision along with DDR SDRAM and a faster (read: 133Mhz) bus, I'll buy one.

I'm not exactly sure why a one-off sale of a refurb eMac would warrent it's own thread, but nevertheless, I want to hear what other AI users think of the eMac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbon2

Just to let you know, Apple updated their special deal page with refurbished eMac for $599. It's the CD-ROM no modem model (education), but a good deal nonetheless.

If only the eMac came without a monitor! Then I could just hook it up to a 20" ACD to make an awesome-looking system for less than $2000. I really want a 20" ACD, but I don't want to spend more than $2k.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 9
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Uh oh, someone asked for an eMac with no monitor. Now it's inevitable that someone will say "add a couple PCI slots" and this thread will turn into a seething pit of fear and loathing.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Uh oh, someone asked for an eMac with no monitor. Now it's inevitable that someone will say "add a couple PCI slots" and this thread will turn into a seething pit of fear and loathing.

Tin hats everybody!

I agree Barto! it's gonna get nasty in here...even worse if I even whisper FW800
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You called?

PCI? mebbe one, but not important so long as multiple (FAST) independent FW800 buses are present (preferable faster if/when available)

But what is needed is whatever industry standard graphics slot is in use by the time Apple realizes that this is the type of machine they need to build. Be that AGP 8x, PCI-express, whatever. The need one. They also need a minimum of 4 RAM slots, space for 2 HDD's and a user accessible, replaceable, optical bay. Most crucially, a socketed PPC and/or daughtercard for the cpu.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

But what is needed is whatever industry standard graphics slot is in use by the time Apple realizes that this is the type of machine they need to build. Be that AGP 8x, PCI-express, whatever. The need one. They also need a minimum of 4 RAM slots, space for 2 HDD's and a user accessible, replaceable, optical bay. Most crucially, a socketed PPC and/or daughtercard for the cpu.

And this all for the education line of Apple Computers?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's not a lot at all. It's an easy to build tower pared down to Shuttle proportions, made from easier to source and update components, without the size and weight of a monitor to increase storage/shipping and build costs, that can EASILY be built to varying specs. It has appeal to the 1000's of school boards with perfectly reusable CRT's, business who just want a bare machine, consumers who want a bare machine, consumers who want a LOADED (but small and relatively affordable) machine, and it can all be built on one assembly line using whatever parts are cheap and plentiful during the regular update cycle.

Translation, increased sales and profits WITH lower prices. YAY!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Translation, increased sales and profits WITH lower prices. YAY!

Step 1: remove display from eMac

Step 2:

Step 3: PROFIT!

Somebody call the Underpants Gnomes.