Billboard Magazine Says Music Store Downloads In First 18 Hours Are....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Brian Garrity of the Billboard Daily Bulletin (a daily two-page fax to the music industry) writes:

Apple's New iTunes Service Moving Quick Off The Mark

Observers are calling the launch of Apple Computer's digital music service the iTunes Music Store an overwhelming success. The service, which went live Monday, sold an estimated 275,000 tracks at 99 cents apiece in its first 18 hours, according to major-label sources. The feat is especially remarkable when considering that the offering is available only to the limited universe of users of Apple computers. The launch thereby sets the stage for a race between a host of media and technology companies to create and effectively promote similar services for the much bigger Microsoft-equipped PC market.

There is going to be a race to see who can get to the Windows market and start to replicate this," says the head of new media at one major label. "The question is [whether] someone else wants to put up the kind of money that Apple is to let people know they're there."

Apple says it plans to make iTunes compatible with the PC by the end of the year. Sources tell Bulletin that two major labels have already cut wholesale agreements with Apple for the Windows version of the service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I expected some rich and famous people to just buy them all for a measley $200,000.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    uh uh .. you were faster to post that. damn.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Surfing this morning I found an AP release that claims a man's 6 year old son downloaded 200,000 songs. He's asking Apple to not charge him the $198,000 plus he was billed for. Unfortunately I have been unable to find the article at the moment. If anybody else finds hte url please post.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    200,000 x 3 meg (average size) = 600,000 megs = 600 gigs

I don't think so.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

200,000 x 3 meg (average size) = 600,000 megs = 600 gigs

I don't think so.

Not to mention the download time. A minute a song isn't unreasonable. So thats 200,000/60 = 3333 hours or 19 weeks. Not possible.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It's a cover for a $200,000 binge on booze and hookers in Vegas the old man rang up.

• Reply 7 of 21
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Not to mention the download time. A minute a song isn't unreasonable. So thats 200,000/60 = 3333 hours or 19 weeks. Not possible.

You know, if we ignore these facts, hurry up and compose an email about the story and send it to 10,000 poeple we can start our own urban legend.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    substitute "2years old and daughter"to that post above and i believe we have found that it is murbot covering the 200,000 he spent in vegas on booze and hookers

g
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

substitute "2years old and daughter"to that post above and i believe we have found that it is murbot covering the 200,000 he spent in vegas on booze and hookers

g

But if that was 200,000 canadian dollars, that would be some cheap ass booze and a skanky hooker.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    The service sold that many. But with simultaneous downloading, I'm sure it's possible.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    275,000 x 0.34= $93,500 in 18 hours. Not to shabby....
  • Reply 12 of 21
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    ^^ cool. It might cover Steve's jet fuel for the day

-robo
  • Reply 13 of 21
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Here's the phoney press release:

AP News - Greg Flankers of Wobble Creek, GA. has petitioned Apple Computer to refund him $196,020.00.

I signed up for Apple's One-Click payment option,(A patented payment option owned by Amazon.com) and bought a couple of songs and loved it. I then went to bed and left the Mac running. Stated Mr. Flankers.

When I awoke the next morning my six year old son had gone through the entire catalog and downloaded 198,000 songs!

He thought, Buy Now meant Bye Now! and was trying to close iTunes (Apple's MP3 Player). Lamented the now indebted music owner.

God, I wish Apple would have made the button say Purchase Now instead.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The service sold that many. But with simultaneous downloading, I'm sure it's possible.

Are you talking about my assessment of the 200,000 songs downloaded? I was just referring to the guy who said his son bought that many.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
  • Reply 16 of 21
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Here's the phoney press release:

AP News - Greg Flankers of Wobble Creek, GA. has petitioned Apple Computer to refund him $196,020.00.

I signed up for Apple's One-Click payment option,(A patented payment option owned by Amazon.com) and bought a couple of songs and loved it. I then went to bed and left the Mac running. Stated Mr. Flankers.

When I awoke the next morning my six year old son had gone through the entire catalog and downloaded 198,000 songs!

He thought, Buy Now meant Bye Now! and was trying to close iTunes (Apple's MP3 Player). Lamented the now indebted music owner.

God, I wish Apple would have made the button say Purchase Now instead.

God, I wish AP News had made the name Actually Print News instead.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Are you talking about my assessment of the 200,000 songs downloaded?

Probably, sorry if I misread your post.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I don't trust that news from AP.

Love to hear the success of the iTunes Music Store.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    now if only the iTunes Music Store Top 20 replaced Billboard's ratings...

Mac music lovers would begin our control of the universe!
  • Reply 20 of 21
    johnhoodjohnhood Posts: 24member
    I wanted to chime in with my spin on the inherently problematic issue of peer-to-peer music sharing and the launch of the Music Store!

Firstly. I have no objection to paying for content and regularly buy CD and DVD software from popular e-tailers. However, the music business needs to make the online purchase experience compelling and it appears that Apple Computer may have made some in-roads with the launch of its new service! However, there is a caveat. Due to licensing issues, the download service is only available to US Mac customers at present! As a UK Mac User I am precluded from using the service until a future date despite the tantalising option of previewing 30 seconds of a song! Perfect!

The record industry has to change its behaviour (allowing for a greater degree of flexibility) to incentivise legitimate purchasing of music without too many constraints! Otherwise the music industry will be the first to fall foul of peer-to-peer networks followed by other media. Then everyone loses out regardless of platform.

On the upside. This service is a 'killer app' and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) really works!

http://homepage.mac.com/johnhood