OS Eleven not compatible with current hardware?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So I was just talking to the IT guy at work. He's the only one we have that's both nice and has a brain.

ANYWAY, I was telling him that I got a new laptop last week (it's a 12" G4) because he and I have a running joke that I'm always asking him for a Macintosh on my desk, but our organization runs exclusively on Windoze. (Whenever I call him for help, he asks what the trouble is, and I say "Well, this machine isn't a Mac, so I'm having such and such problem.")

So... he tells me how Mac is about to come out with OS 11 and that all of the existing computers won't be compatible.

I thought he was pulling my leg, but he seems serious.

I'm not worried, because I can't see how this story of his could be true. It just doesn't make any sense.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think he's just pulling your leg and doing a good job of making it look like he's serious. We know for a fact that Panther (whatever the number assigned to it is, it's probably 10.3 but it could possibly be something else) is being previewed at WWDC. I doubt Apple would drop ALL their hardware and make it unsupported on the latest OS... they'd take SO much shit for that because everyone wouldn't just have to buy the OS, they'd have to buy whole new computers to use it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    By the time we hit 11 under the new numbering scheme it'll be about 6~7 years...and it is possible your laptop won't work so great then. I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Even though they are still in the iBooks. I think they are gonna trim out the whole G3 line for 'Panther Compatible' (but I could be wrong)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Pre-G3 PowerMacs - last one discontinued in 1997, OS compatability stopped in 2001 (9.2)

68040 based Macs - last one discontinued in 1996 (PowerBook 190cs), OS compatability stopped in 1998 (8.5)

68030 based Macs - last one discontinued in 1996 (Performa 550), OS compatability stopped in 1997 (7.6)

68000 based Macs - last one discontinued in 1992 (Classic and PowerBook 100), OS compatability stopped in 1997 (7.6)

I think they'll discontinue the G3 at least a year before they discontinue support for it. Apple's never released an OS that is incompatabile with current hardware. And the Performa 550... well, that was a sad excuse for a computer in April of 1995, but it did run System 7 just like everything else at the time.

EDIT: Okay, one time Apple did release an OS that was incompatible with all current hardware - system 7.1.2, the version of system 7.1 that was rushed out the door when the first PowerPCs came out. But subsequent versions of 7.5.x were fully compatible with both 68k and PPC Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGrover

So... he tells me how Mac is about to come out with OS 11 and that all of the existing computers won't be compatible.

Ridiculous. Just like the people who walked into Apple Stores asking for the new 970 iPods, absolutely certain they had been introduced.

There's no OS 11 (yet).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It's not well known, but OS Eleven is in development, in a very secret Apple lab, in a diverged fork from the standard OS X development -- and also in a parallel universe (Universe C-18 to be exact).

Your IP guy must have slipped into C-18 for a moment -- it's not always easy to get there.

He's also correct that OS 11 won't be compatible with current machines, as it will require brain-plugs and run on an unnamed frequency in the violet spectrum.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

By the time we hit 11 under the new numbering scheme it'll be about 6~7 years...and it is possible your laptop won't work so great then. I wouldn't sweat it.

yup! 6-7 years is it, and you probably won't even need a laptop, as we will all be wearing unisex silver jumpsuits by then...right?

I say, tommorow, you punch that guy in the face, yell at him, and then kick him when he is on the floor (if he is not on the floor yet, put him on the floor, and do the previous suggested action)

he was pulling your leg, he knows nothing, and seems to not care about your feelings.....

Again, I say, tommorow, you punch that guy in the face, yell at him, and then kick him when he is on the floor (if he is not on the floor yet, put him on the floor, and do the previous suggested action)

• Reply 8 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    IT guys are always such fools.

here's an example:

at my last job, our IT guy asked me one day what programming language was used for mac apps.

i told him mostly C++ (we were using 9 at the time)

he then got this puzzled look on his face.

he then asked how there can be so much fewer virii on macs than windows, because they both use C++ as a programming language.

i felt like kicking him.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    sounds like that IT guy might actually have a sense of humor. sounds like a keeper to me.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Report of OS 11 this early are bull, IMNSHO.

Besides, this belongs in the Mac OS X forum. Moving now.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Report of OS 11 this early are bull, IMNSHO.

You think ???
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    IMNSHO.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i like you better when you're humble....

g

ps...when the Os finally does hit 11, apple need to get nigel from spinal tap as the spokesman....."These go to 11"
  • Reply 14 of 15
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Tell your IT guy to STFU.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Gullibility, thy name is SuperGrover.

<sigh>