Happy Holiday, Comrades.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's May 1st, recognised as Labor Day around the world. A day on which we remember that history has been provided by the trials and tribulations of the little man, the blue-collar worker man. Thank Ye, Ye Faithful.

Incidentally, it is the day on which the world also celebrates my grandmother's birthday. She has turned 81, is still an active bicyclist and cross-country skier, and greets you all.

Anyhow, any perspectives on May 1st? Anybody know a little history on the date? Any condescension (this is, after all, AppleOutsider)? Remember, both leftists and rightists are celebrating today (at least, in my twisted little homeland).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    No politics needed I simply admire all the people now and in history who have worked so hard to provide for their families and their communities. That is so cool to hear about your grandmother! Sounds like a great lady.

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Happy May Day comrades!

After lunch I'm off to join the riots!

• Reply 3 of 15
    (Not really. I have work to do. But I'll be sneering at the adverts on telly later.)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    it's labor day?

wow, this'll be the first labor day that i actually haven't had to work... ever. due to being laid off and all.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    i was going to go to the chinese consul today, but they take a THREE DAY HOLIDAY for this.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I've organized a little bar outing later tonight with some of the other fellows on the floor.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Everyone click and sing along!

The Internationale!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    A little historical perspective on May 1st, from a blood-thirsty pro-war jingoistic baby-eater.

We celebrate Labor Day in the United States on the first Monday in September because there is no real connection or meaning. Mayday originated in the United States in the 1880s as the idea of the 8-hour workday became a stated goal of a strengthening labor movement.

The government never embraced it as a holiday because God knows what would happen if you told people to celebrate a successful rise against power.

Mayday is International Worker's Day, celebrated by the rest of the world but started in the United States.

Change comes from the bottom! YEAH!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Happy May Day. On to Cinco de Mayo!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Well would you believe it.

I said I'd go to the riots, and I damn well did. Accidentally.

I was going to meet a friend of mine at the big cross outside Charing Cross station; we were going to go to the India Club for supper (amazing restaurant caught in a timewarp that used to be funded by the Indian Embassy) and then go to the ICA (Insitute of Contemporary Arts) to hear these sound artists: one guy recorded the sound of glaciers with 'geophones' and compressed 12 hours of sound recorded in the Masai Mara into forty minutes using time stretching: cool.

So I cycle down the Mall, past the Palaces to Trafalgar Square... and it's full of anarchists sort of coralled in by 'nuff riot police. Of course I couldn't get through, so I had to find a detour. Charing Cross is right next door to Trafalgar Square, and I was waiting it all kicked off. Bottles being thrown, police running about putting their leather riot gloves on... saw one guy get dragged off by about 8 policemen (he looked like he was about 17, poor guy) and a lot of noise. I was worried for my bicycle, so I ducked into the station.

And then my friend turned up and we went to the ICA where I had a haddock risotto, which was lovely.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    cranky anarchist day in berlin too, according to the news...

how do torching cars, attacking police, and smashing other people's stuff celebrate May Day?

seems like some people want any excuse to throw a tantrum

maybe they thought it was international mosh pit day
  • Reply 12 of 15
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Happy Labour Day eveyone!! And happy birthday to Der Kopf's Granny!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

how do torching cars, attacking police, and smashing other people's stuff celebrate May Day?

cars are made by large, multinational, capitalist corporations. and the police are part of the capitalist government. plus police are pygs. plus police get in the way of the otherwise bourgeoisie fun. but then again, thats just a capitalist's outside view into their world (plus, i hate pygs).
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Why didn't the folks needing to talk to Maxists simply interview der Kopf?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Why didn't the folks needing to talk to Maxists simply interview der Kopf?

Maybe because I'm not a Maxist, whatever that may be. If you're talking about the "are you a Marxist?" thread, why don't you read my succinct reply, stating exactly WHY I am not a Marxist.