The fate of iCal???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is anything going to be done to brgin iCal up to speed with the other iLife apps?

I happen to like iCal over Entourage's calendar but I haven't heard anything about it being upgraded for a while...

What's going on???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Well, the guy who develops of AbiWord got fired from it. That's about all I know.

iCal is definitely in my running for Apple's least impressive iApp.

The 1.0.2 update helped a bit, but it's still not an app I relish using.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    well, it is slow, but there isn't really much to build on it...

probably the next release will include Rendezvous sharing of iCal(endars) and maybe some more AppleScript support (?)

who knows, maybe it will come by the time Panther is release... or when an iSync update is released...or another time!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    here's an analogy, perhaps flawed, but i think not...

look at iTunes 4 right now and what it offers.

now crank the wayback machine to the original iTunes.

basically, all of Apple's "digital hub" apps take a while to get their legs, but once they do, they kick all sorts of ass.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

here's an analogy, perhaps flawed, but i think not...

look at iTunes 4 right now and what it offers.

now crank the wayback machine to the original iTunes.

basically, all of Apple's "digital hub" apps take a while to get their legs, but once they do, they kick all sorts of ass.

yeah, finally iTunes does feel (as) sluggish

Good one Mr. The Rok
  • Reply 5 of 12
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well the suggestions forum for iCal has been receiving submissions for a while.

hopefully, the user top ten list of new features will ship with Panther

custom font size/options and gantt project charting are on my list
  • Reply 6 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Now that iTunes 4 have been released, hopefully the Apple developers will spent more time and effort on iCal.

Currently, its just too inferior to Entourage. can't justify using iCal over Entourage right now.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I have used iCal since I got my mac... about 2 months now. I think its fine... it does exactly what it says on the tin without and extra crap I wont use.

I have 3 calanders in it, green = work, blue=personal, and red = urgent.

The only thing I would ask for is a "free-to-enter" priority box for the to-do list that will also accept negative numbers. ie. I might have something very important to do (number 1) and then get something MORE important... I could then assign it to -1. etc.

Other than that it works just like the one on the wall, but I can set alarms to remind me to forget about peoples birthdays...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I want to be able to set the increment for when you're creating new events, rather than having to stick to the 15-minute increments. Most of the classes at my school start at times like 9:05, 10:10, 1:25, or something like that, so I have to go in and change both the starting and ending time for them. If I had five-minute intervals it would be better. Also, I wish I could turn off the warning that asks if I want to change all instances of a repeating event, maybe hold down option if I want to change only that event, but it gets annoying.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I can't use it until I can enter new appointments via the web.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stunned

Now that iTunes 4 have been released, hopefully the Apple developers will spent more time and effort on iCal.

Currently, its just too inferior to Entourage. can't justify using iCal over Entourage right now.

I think the iTunes and iCal teams are likely separate.

Plus, iCal is free, so it makes sense that it's "inferior" to Entourage. But I use it, and it satisfies my needs pretty well.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    after using entourage so much I've switched to ICAL because of its speed heh. I mean when you use entourage all the time and you put a lot of info in there it just really really bogs down on me. ical is pretty cool dudes i dont' know about you but the whole subscribing to calendars online and publishing them is really a great feature. I use it to keep our sales team on track and we also use it for our marketing deadlines so that everyone can see not. Now if microsoft made office on mac and windows be able to send to events to each other without having to have that special office server (i forget what its called) that would be ideal, but oh well iCal solved all our issues. just about. heh