i wish the iPod could charge like this...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
have any of you ever seen or used the sonicare toothbrush?

i have one and i was thinking how awesome it would be for the iPod to charge/get data through no metal connectors

i guess because of speed and radiation (specially around electronics) wouldn't be good but i still am sayin it would be cool

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    How does the toothbrush charge? We can charge things without metal, just not really well without contacts. What's the story with the sonic thingy?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i have one nad

I'm sorry to hear that.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Another quality thread by ast3r3x. Keep up the good work.

(nice post, BRussell)
  • Reply 4 of 32
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    as far as i'm concerned that is one nad too many for that young man....

g
  • Reply 5 of 32
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I think the whole thing with the sonicare (and I have one ----- of the sonicare toothbrushes) is that it charges via a magnetic field of some kind I believe. It's awesome for the bathroom environment, but would have natural "disadvantages" with the iPod unless solid state storage became really cheap and massive.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    michaelm8000michaelm8000 Posts: 297member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I think the whole thing with the sonicare (and I have one ----- of the sonicare toothbrushes) is that it charges via a magnetic field of some kind I believe. It's awesome for the bathroom environment, but would have natural "disadvantages" with the iPod unless solid state storage became really cheap and massive.

I happen to know the designer of the sonicare and that is infact how it works. one side sends a magnetic pules and the other side picks it up and makes it electricity. This MIGHT be able to work with date like 1 pulse=0, 2 pulses=1 kinda thing. I bet it would be slow though. This would rule though. LONG LIVE THE SONICARE!
  • Reply 7 of 32
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michaelm8000

I happen to know the designer of the sonicare and that is infact how it works. one side sends a magnetic pules and the other side picks it up and makes it electricity. This MIGHT be able to work with date like 1 pulse=0, 2 pulses=1 kinda thing. I bet it would be slow though. This would rule though. LONG LIVE THE SONICARE!

The newer kinds of artificial partial-hearts work the same way. Having no wires running through the skin makes the risk of infection a lot lower and is probably a heck of a lot more comfortable. You wear a battery pack on your waist, with a wire that runs to a coil taped on to your skin. A second coil is implanted just inside your skin with a wire to the pump. Magnetic induction transfers the power across the skin, no contacts needed. Pretty darn cool.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    They showed 2 new power chargers on Techtv a few weeks ago. One of them was a pad with a bunch of little 'ball-bearing' contacts, it would detect which contacts needed power and it would turn those on. I assume the charger and device needed special circuits to keep from electrocuting people and burning out.

The second one used no contacts, it was just a plactic pad. They set a laptop on it and started using it. I guess it doesn't harm the HDD.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    "Induction" is how those sonicares charge.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Most electric toothbrushes charge this way. If you do a little reading in a basic Physics textbook you may come across an equation that links Electric Field flux with magnetism, and all together with voltage.

So the take home message is that a magnetic field can induce an electric field into a wire, which incidentally produces some electric potential.

The drawbacks here are that adding the circuitry to do this adds cost, and there's always the risk of magnetically interfering with the iPod circuitry. In order to recharge quickly, some serious magnetic fields would be needed. That's a bad thing.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm sorry to hear that.

*sigh*...how do you respond to something like that

Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Another quality thread by ast3r3x. Keep up the good work.

(nice post, BRussell)

COME ON...there is nothing wrong with this thread, and (correct spelling not 'nad') now I and others have read how sonicare works (can somone post after this pretending they cared too?)

ok looking back the cannibal thread was a bad idea but the rest of my threads rn't THAT bad
  • Reply 12 of 32
    -double post-
  • Reply 13 of 32
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    You could always send music thru the toothbrush and the waves vibrate your teeth while you brush. Almost like a subsonic music kinda thing. You could "feel" the music in your head as you brush and charge with no connectors!
  • Reply 14 of 32
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

-double post-

you would double post.

• Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

you would double post.

haha everyone hates me on these boards now
  • Reply 16 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My toothbrush is manually driven.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    www.splashpower.com
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My toothbrush is manually driven.

as is mine

i dont use the sonicare often
  • Reply 19 of 32
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm sorry to hear that.

Probably the best post I've ever seen, anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Probably the best post I've ever seen, anyway.

psh you WOULD think that