Sirius Satellite Music

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What are your thoughts of Sirius satellite music?

I am thinking of getting it or XM radio tomorrow.

Too expensive? not worth it? worth it?

You can log on as a guest and take a test drive of their streaming music at their website. Safari browser does not support their player but IE does.

Sirius website

Also XM Radio:

XM Radio

I do a lot of driving and while I could listen to free local material I would like the expanded array of choices.

Fellowship

Do any of you have one of these two options if so what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No clue if it's worth it, never tried it and I don't know much on either service except XM has more subscribers. Also, XM is bringing out some sort of thing that can connect to a PC as a receiver or something like it, if that's important to you. Check the C|Net link below:

http://news.com.com/2100-1041-998599.html
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I haven't read much of the two except I did see a brief overview by Consumer Reports comparing the two... basically, Sirius is $13 a month vs. $10 a month for XM, but Sirius doesn't have ads. Although I do believe that XM's ads are not the long, annoying ads that drag on for a good ten minutes like you get with most radio stations.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I am going to go with XM

Below is the receiver I am going with

It is portable between car and home!

Being in business for myself and in the Truck so often I can't wait for the change.

DELPHI SKYFi link

another cool bit is that my pastor Ed Young of Fellowship Church has his program on XM radio channel 170

cool stuff

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Well I can report back on XM Radio! It is very cool! I am very happy with it. No longer will I listen to ad after ad on the radio. The choice of programing is amazing.

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 12
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I would not get it. In most cases I never find anyway what I want in radio .. so just use the iPod. And to fill that, grab from net radios to mp3s ..
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Cool for you. I can't remember which but one service has ad based stations and one is ad free*. Which did you get?

*The 'ad free' talk radio still has ads, but those can't be cut out of the middle of the programming.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mulattabianca

I would not get it. In most cases I never find anyway what I want in radio .. so just use the iPod. And to fill that, grab from net radios to mp3s ..

I too have an iPod and love it. I use it in my vehicle and many places. The cool thing about XM Radio is that when I want a change from my songs on iPod I can listen to fresh stuff on XM. The cool thing is that it reads out Artist and song title. If I hear something I really like I can write down the info. XM carries some stations that have some ads on them but they are nothing like the radio. Short and back to the music. Over all it is virtually ad-less.

I love it!

Fellows
  • Reply 8 of 12
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    I tested both for a while and ended up going with Sirius, I've had it for about 10 months now, and it's great.

Sateliite radio rocks

-vasu
  • Reply 9 of 12
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    I am planning to buy a new receiver for my car and I was looking at both Kenwoood and Pioneer. The first coming with sirrus and the second with XM.

From what I understand Sirrus is 100% commercial free where as XM is not. So I know I would rather pay 3$ extra a month for completely commercial free radio.

Also, just because XM has more subcribers does not mean its better
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by AlecR

I am planning to buy a new receiver for my car and I was looking at both Kenwoood and Pioneer. The first coming with sirrus and the second with XM.

From what I understand Sirrus is 100% commercial free where as XM is not. So I know I would rather pay 3$ extra a month for completely commercial free radio.

Alec

I have XM and for example I can listen in on the Fox News Broadcast. As XM carries that network I hear an ad or two. But I have plenty of music channels that have no ads.

Fellowship
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AlecR

You better eyeball Sirius' stock. They're in the crapper and far behind. As long as XM radio doesn't go to FM radio style commercial jaunts they'll be fine.

XM right now seems to have the better of the hardware.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    They're both in poor financial situation. If you look at both companies contracts though, Sirius has more contracts with a greater market share of car companies than XM does.

I also think that neither company really has better hardware. I mean XM has really crappy Sony and Pioneer (sorry, not a pioneer fan here) equipment, and Sirius has crappy Jensen and Audiovox equipment.

XM has Alpine and Delphi as well which are good. But Sirius also has Kenwood, Clarion and Panasonic which are great as well. Panasonic equipment is really rock solid, so I see that as a huge benefit.

Again, i had both and preferred Sirius. Another thing that bugged me was that Clear Channel Communications (you know the big radio monopoly that owns most of the stations in the country and is responsible for most of the reasons people hate commercial FM now) is a huge owner of XM. I think they own around 30% of XM. In fact, somewhere around 6-10 stations on XM are just Clear Channel rebroadcasts of FM stations from the country. Great, I'm paying for FM now wheee!

-vasu