Why does orange juice look yellow?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i looked on google and didn't find anything, just a simple thread if anyone knows the answer...

why does orange juice (that you buy) look and taste completely different from if you squeezed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

i looked on google and didn't find anything, just a simple thread if anyone knows the answer...

why does orange juice (that you buy) look and taste completely different from if you squeezed?

if the juice is from concentrate, most are, then the process that takes the water out (generally freeze drying) damages the larger polymeric structures of the orange, volatile components are stripped, and the process may induce some (although not many) chemical changes in the nonvolitile components. this is why juice from concentrate is generally less pulpy than fresh squeezed and also explains some of the taste differences...

i cant believe i just spent 1 min of my life writing this...
  • Reply 2 of 38
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

It's yellow as a result of some of other liquid ingredients (preservatives & colorants) that get put into the processing .

Whatever original color the orange possesed is replaced in order to make way for factory " Freshness "

\
  • Reply 3 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Maybe it's because the outside of an orange, the part you don't eat, is orange. The part the orange juice comes from, the inside, is yellow.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You guys are all wet.

It's called birunitosis. It's a process of the liquification of the citric molecules interacting with the pasticular acids and the ensuing result is an alteration in the flavinic particles exposed to other elements. The pulp is destralitized, the combalsin is combined with the gluticulal portions of the orange and the yellow-ish color is what you get. In some parts of the world (in the Southern hemisphere), orange juice actually has a bit of a purple tint to it. This is called ditranulation.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Oh.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You guys are all wet.

It's called birunitosis. It's a process of the liquification of the citric molecules interacting with the pasticular acids and the ensuing result is an alteration in the flavinic particles exposed to other elements. The pulp is destralitized, the combalsin is combined with the gluticulal portions of the orange and the yellow-ish color is what you get. In some parts of the world (in the Southern hemisphere), orange juice actually has a bit of a purple tint to it. This is called ditranulation.

holy shit

pscates is a true tangerine enthusiast
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Different oranges. Most producers use Schitt oranges, for economic reasons.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

holy shit

pscates is a true tangerine enthusiast

Holy shit, he believed me!!!
  • Reply 9 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member

.... hemisphere), orange juice actually has a bit of a purple tint to it. This is called ditranulation. FLAVIN!
  • Reply 10 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    (Checks off on "To Do While I'm Alive" list: "Find out why orange juice isn't orange")
  • Reply 11 of 38
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Most producers use Schitt oranges

How exactly is that pronounced?

I think this might explain why homemade OJ tastes so much better than store brought.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

You guys are all wet.

haha wow that was impressive pscates
  • Reply 13 of 38
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It gets real yellow when you piss it out.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

You guys are all wet.

pscates you are great! Love it!

I read your post several later down where you joked that folks believed you!

Love the humor and clever knowledge!

Keep it up!

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 38
    haha the only reason i thought it was fishy was because it wsa COMPLETELY to hard to understand...normally even smart people when explaining something will try to simplify it
  • Reply 16 of 38
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    the most reasonable explanation is pixies. they live inside our brains and whenever they see orange juice, they mess with the dials on our brains relating to color control, changing orange->yellow. this also explains why the color orange can still be clearly discerned even while in view of "yellow" juice. pixies also alter the colors when we are in heat[tm].
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

haha the only reason i thought it was fishy was because it wsa COMPLETELY to hard to understand...normally even smart people when explaining something will try to simplify it

Is that a roundabout way of saying I'm not smart?

"...even smart people..." as in "dumbass pscates, on the other hand...".

Ah-oooooo-ga!
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Is that a roundabout way of saying I'm not smart?

"...even smart people..." as in "dumbass pscates, on the other hand...".

Ah-oooooo-ga!

never would i apply defamation to a member with a higher post count then I

• Reply 19 of 38
    You mean, to get all this praise and acclaim all I have to do is talk over everyone's heads (and out of my own butt) and use big words and make the simple sound complicated and convoluted?

I mean, I know that is S.O.P for several others here at AI but I just didn't think I had what it took. Color me shocked!

I'll have to start applying the above to various political, social and philosophical threads too! Cool!

• Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

You mean, to get all this praise and acclaim all I have to do is talk over everyone's heads (and out of my own butt) and use big words and make the simple sound complicated and convoluted?

I mean, I know that is S.O.P for several others here at AI but I just didn't think I had what it took. Color me shocked!

I'll have to start applying the above to various political, social and philosophical threads too! Cool!

haha...i officially give you my PHD...why a PHD? no idea