I want to buy a cheap inkjet printer and need help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone here have any suggestions for an inexpensive ink jet? I am leaning towards Canon because I had good luck with them back when I owned a Stylewriter II back in the day.

I am looking to spend less than $100. It is a secondary printer because my HP 2100 does all the heavy lifting. It will likely just be used for small amounts of color printing.

My concerns....

1) I am notoriously cheap. I would likely buy a printer with cheap refills or even buy a refill kit to cut down the per page cost.

2) Some companies (HP and Epson I have heard claimed) are putting chips in the their print cartridges that cannot be refilled. I do not know which brands of what it applies to though.

3) I don't want the printer to be huge and take up a lot of space.

Any suggestions or recommendations out there?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    I have an Epson 820, less than $100.00, and it works great.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    canon

great quality, individual ink cartridge replacement, low ink usage.

i550
  • Reply 3 of 4
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I just got an Epson C42UX for free with my new iMac, and so far it seems pretty good. MacMall has it for $49.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I am COMPLETELY impressed with the Epson Stylus Photo 820. It's a 6-ink photo printer for $99. AWESOME quality, reasonable fast (considering...), OS X, etc. A little noisy, but hey.

It's a great little inkjet. I print off gradient-heavy Illustrator work on it and it's SO smooth: no banding, no stripes or jitters, etc.. Photos look awesome too.